PSA: Plug for (free) Vanguard Financial Plan

It didn't bother me that she didn't recommend Wellesley. What bothered me was that I told her that we were going to buy X amount nonetheless so, given that, how much should I buy of the things she did recommend in order to keep our Asset allocation.
I only meant to share what the CFP I talked with said about Wellington & Wellesley as (coincidentally) I asked her. She acknowledged how popular they are, and how well they have served many Vanguard clients.

Beyond that, I probably went overboard with my reply (unnecessary commentary, as sometimes prone to do), sorry. :blush:

Midpack -- do they only address funds held at Vanguard or do they draw up a plan that accommodates other funds?

Midpack -- do they only address funds held at Vanguard or do they draw up a plan that accommodates other funds?
They will look at anything and everything you hold, other funds, individual stocks, even obscure 401k "house funds", whatever. But again, as their well known mission is to steer investors to a low expense, passive/index portfolio broad market weighted portfolio, as you can imagine their recommendation suggests selling any assets that don't fit their well known model. For example, in 2005 I had Dodge & Cox stock and MSFT and they recommended I sell both (and showed the resulting cap gains).

But, I know exactly why I've have a small, value, emerging market tilt to my stock allocation, and shorter duration tilt to my bond allocation. I read and listen to their ideas, and make up my own mind.

I found the phone call where I got to ask whatever I wanted, and did, to be more valuable than the written plan. FWIW...

Back
Top Bottom