Join Early Retirement Today

psychology of happiness
Old 09-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

psychology of happiness

Hello everyone -

I have read a few posts on this website about correlating money and happiness. You may find the article attached interesting :

The Psychology of Happiness: 13 Steps to a Better Life

Take care,

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #2

This was kind of a "Your Money or Your Life" kind of article. And it's true that beyond some level (perhaps $75k) that general happiness is relatively constant. Lots of good advice there - Don't make yourself miserable chasing money.

Newer research I have seen breaks happiness into two separate parts. The first being general happiness which stays about the same as long as you are not struggling with poverty. That's consistent with the article. However the other part, perhaps called life satisfaction, does indeed go up moderately with income.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Administrator

An interesting article. Thanks.

I have found that I am just about as happy as I decide to be. I cannot always control my circumstances, but I can control how I respond to those circumstances. I choose happy and cheerful.

I have discovered that if you are cheerful and upbeat, even if you don't feel particularly happy at the moment, there is a positive feedback effect. Eventually, you will become happy. Cheerfulness can also lift the mood of those you are with, who can then in turn help lift your mood.

At least that's how I see it.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I found that nothing made me happier than retiring.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have discovered that if you are cheerful and upbeat, even if you don't feel particularly happy at the moment, there is a positive feedback effect. Eventually, you will become happy.
That is what my late mother used to tell me when I was a little girl. If I was unhappy, she would tell me to try to smile and act like I was happy and that if I did, chances were good that I would soon be happy. It did seem to work sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I found that nothing made me happier than retiring.
+1 I am completely blown away by how happy I have become due to being retired. It is almost embarrassing to think that all these years, my state of mind was based on something as simple and lacking in complexity, as just having time to do as I please.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #6

I really liked this article. Something that I often think about is that money can be a means to an end. Money can equal freedom.

"If the United States is generally wealthier than it was thirty or forty years ago, then why aren’t people happier? Economist Richard Easterlin of the University of Southern California believes that part of the problem is the hedonic treadmill: once we reach a certain level of wealth, we want more."

Or, it could be that once we reach a certain level of wealth we have freedom.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #7

[QUOTE=W2R;977758]That is what my late mother used to tell me when I was a little girl. If I was unhappy, she would tell me to try to smile and act like I was happy and that if I did, chances were good that I would soon be happy. It did seem to work sometimes.

I think Dale Carnegie teaches some hokey phrase like "act enthusiastic and you'll be enthusiastic." I've laughed at it alot but the darn thing works. I think W2R's mom was just an early follower of the Carnegie method maybe.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That is what my late mother used to tell me when I was a little girl. If I was unhappy, she would tell me to try to smile and act like I was happy and that if I did, chances were good that I would soon be happy. It did seem to work sometimes.
I think Dale Carnegie teaches some hokey phrase like "act enthusiastic and you'll be enthusiastic." I've laughed at it alot but the darn thing works. I think W2R's mom was just an early follower of the Carnegie method maybe.
She used to read Dale Carnegie all the time! I guess that must be where she got it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:02 AM   #9

Please could you kindly provide references to the research you mention ? Thank you MasterBlaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Newer research I have seen breaks happiness into two separate parts. The first being general happiness which stays about the same as long as you are not struggling with poverty. That's consistent with the article. However the other part, perhaps called life satisfaction, does indeed go up moderately with income.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #10

Hello Helen - Evolutionary psychology shows that natural selection helped our hunter-gatherer ancestors solve adaptive problems - and reaction to "fear", "aggression", or "predator avoidance" for example have been key to these natural selection processes. Unfortunately, "happiness" has not been shown to be a key component to natural selection - happiness did not help our ancestors (whom we carry the genetic inheritance) exploit mating opportunities or circumvent reproductive obstacles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
"If the United States is generally wealthier than it was thirty or forty years ago, then why aren’t people happier? Economist Richard Easterlin of the University of Southern California believes that part of the problem is the hedonic treadmill: once we reach a certain level of wealth, we want more."

Or, it could be that once we reach a certain level of wealth we have freedom.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #11

+1 Gumby - thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I cannot always control my circumstances, but I can control how I respond to those circumstances.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:40 AM   #12

Hello W2R - this is what I suspected all along in my case. And this is why I am considering retiring in my 40s, but not everyone around me will approve such a drastic change.

Quote:
I am completely blown away by how happy I have become due to being retired.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:47 AM   #13

Good point Orchidflower. I would add another hokey phrase like "Be thankful for the things you have, and you will appreciate them more."

[QUOTE=Orchidflower;977783]
Quote:

Old 09-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm happier now that my portfolio has recovered.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I'm happier now that my portfolio has recovered.

Me too !
Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Please could you kindly provide references to the research you mention ? Thank you MasterBlaster
Obgyn65:

I was referring to an Ed Diener study (University of Illinois). I can't remember where I first read about the results. If you Google "Ed Diener" you'll get a treasure trove of links to Ed Diener studies on happiness.

But here is one newspaper's discussion of the finding's:

Money can buy one form of happiness, massive global study concludes

Evidently Ed Diener has spent a lifetime analyzing happiness and it's causes.