Join Early Retirement Today

PUCC - Personal use of company car
Old 01-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

PUCC - Personal use of company car

Wonder if anyone has pondered on this. I can use the company car for personal use and have to show as income the IRS mileage rate of 58 cents per mile for 2019. I might have personal use of 4000 miles per year, so I've increased my taxable income by $2,320. At the income tax rate of 22% + FICA at 7.65% + some state tax, my cost is really only 700 bucks or so. Upside is this is increasing my annual income in the Social Security calculation. I can't imagine that the 2,320 extra income per year is going to move the needle much for SS. I'm thinking I should still minimize PUCC and will come out ahead in the long run. Or should I maximize PUCC?

I'm probably WAY overthinking this and appreciate any comments or math wizardry you folks may share.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We used to have to report personal mileage monthly. I heard some employees were less than honest on the reports.

Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #3

I have a company car, but I max out my FICA by mid year, so I never think twice about it. I just enjoy the perk.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We used to have to report personal mileage monthly. I heard some employees were less than honest on the reports.
Yeah - I sometimes think I might be the only one that is even close to accurate on this. They do not set any limitations on usage so I could drive it to church, grocery store, pick up grand kids from school, etc to maximize. Didn't mean to imply I'd fudge the numbers, rather just pick wisely which vehicle I use
Old 01-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I have a company car, but I max out my FICA by mid year, so I never think twice about it. I just enjoy the perk.
Yup - I used to max out FICA, but switched to Part Time about 2.5 years ago, and yes it is a really nice perk.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't worry about it. Use the vehicle that's most convenient or fits the needs of the task best. At less than 20 cents/mile,I'd be inclined to use the company vehicle. OTOH, will there be an issue with your job if you got into an accident with it on your time?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
... and yes it is a really nice perk.
A nice perk indeed!
My company car was a high end Mercedes but was just part of my general compensation. It was never used for business other than getting my fanny into the office. I just paid the taxes.

A (jealous) co worker commented once "yeah, but you're going to have to pay taxes on that lease payment" to which I replied, "So, I get to drive a $70,000 car with paid insurance and gas and it's going to cost me maybe...$4K? Oh, Ok"
Old 01-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If a person maximized the usage enough so that another vehicle is not needed (ie sold). then it seems to me it becomes similar to a cheap lease, and a good deal.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #9

Use the heck out of it. I used to get a stipend. It didn’t fully pay for my leases, but it made them highly subsidized. Some guys would keep their cars as long as possible and try to come out ahead on their stipend. I just looked at it as a really nice perk. I loved driving a new car. I could get leases on nice Buick’s for a bit less than my stipend. So basically I was driving for the cost of the taxes on my stipend. I was good with that. Not to be too much of a spendthrift, but you got to get something you like out of your job and, for me, driving a nice new car ever two years was something I took advantage of and was happy to do it.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #10

We reported PUCC monthly. Honor system, but mega motors applied an imputed income formula so it was not a freebie like everyone assumed. I put about 24k total miles with personal use comprising ~15%.