Join Early Retirement Today

Pull trigger next year, or in two years?
Old 06-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Pull trigger next year, or in two years?

This is a follow up to my four year old (this week) "Hi I Am..." post found here:
<original post>.

Well, my four years are up this week, so I thought an update would be appropriate:

We are half retired: wife retired a couple years ago but I am still working.
We did sell the house at the peak of the GTA housing market in spring 2017 and bought a much nicer and cheaper house on a couple acres outside outside the GTA (still in Ontario but several hours from GTA), and I took a new job in the new town.

So now I am questioning WHEN I should retire.
I could probably retire now but I feel working two more years would be prudent.
And I don't really mind: like the job...just don't like the lack of free time for myself and the early rising.

So the portfolio is in good shape, and I run numbers through FIRECALC assuming:
  • die at age 90
  • retire in two years (when we are both age 58)
  • no further savings
  • retirement spending $7,500 per month (based on income splitting, and using E&Y 2019 tax calculator rates)
  • using 45% equity allocation (which is where we are at currently)
  • Government pensions as follows (total for both):
    • OAS starting at 65: ~ $14k/yr
    • CPP starting at 70: ~ $33k/yr
The results:
100% success with lowest portfolio value of over $600k!
Heck even if I retire 1 year from now instead of two (and accounting for slightly smaller CPP), I am still 100% with a minimum portfolio size at age 90 of over $300k!
And these are somewhat conservative numbers because some of the portfolio is not taxed as income on withdrawal (TFSAs and non-registered stuff).
Also doesn't count value of house: could take out $500k from that and still get a nice house in town with the remainder.

I think I could tolerate two more years nicely, especially if I took a leave next summer to get an extra month or two off for a nice vacation!

I guess I thought an update would be nice, and I don't really have much in the way of questions here! But would appreciate any comments on the situation and the analysis.
strathglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
gone traveling

Sounds like "two more years" is a good plan for you!

And if it turns out not to be as good as you expect, you can always change your mind.

Good luck!
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:14 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anytime you are at 100% then I suggest you go. You can never replace the extra time in RE.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Anytime you are at 100% then I suggest you go. You can never replace the extra time in RE.
Yes, this! More money will not buy more time. Go for it now!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would also say go for it now, especially since your wife is retired. I am never bored in retirement even while sitting here typing.....
Old 06-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Those pensions give you a nice base. So whether one or two more years, it looks like you are in good shape. Sometimes it's easier sticking it out a little longer when you know you don't have to and that you have the freedom to stop whenever you want.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote