Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am also keeping 5 years in cash (1 year actual cash and 4 years in short term CD ladder). With the low bond interest rates and low inflation, this seems allowable. 70% large/midcap stocks, 10% long term bonds, 20% cash is where we are.

Being able to fund 5 years of living expenses guaranteed allows us time to adjust our budget to a new normal (if the market crashed and did not recover).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:52 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

VPW Bogleheads what a article. I am so glad I posted this 4% rule.
I plan on downloading the sheet tomorrow. Very powerful information
Something I can refer too over the next couple of years to check to see how my withdraw compared to my portfolio would have done

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 11:53 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
The nerdy way to do this should include VPW. See the thread on this and over at Bogleheads. You may find you are being too conservative. It changed my approach.

Thank you for the insight !!!! 😃

Old 04-06-2015, 11:58 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My issue is insurance the longer I stay the better my monthly payment
Everything after 55 gets lower monthly deducts

Old 04-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Which is better: 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, 5%, 6% .... ?

The answer ... it depends.

It depends on things like: age, income sources, absolute level of your wealth, health, risk preferences, etc.

George is 80 and is spending 5% with savings of $2M.
Mary is 80 and is spending 3% with savings of $1M.
Jan is 55 and is spending 6% with savings of $1M.

Oh, by the way, Jan has terminal cancer and may only live a few more years. And Mary has a big pension.

So why are so many here talking about their comfortable percentage level and leaving out critical planning details? Probably it's because we don't want to lay it all out here on the internet.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Safe withdrawal rate is independent of other sources of income. You don't automatically withdraw a lower % because you have other sources of income. Some people may be taking 100% of their income from a retirement fund. Another person may only need 25% more above their pension. This latter person can retire with a much smaller savings. They may still both withdraw at the same rate.

The longevity thing - well none of us know. Even someone battling a tough disease may be blessed with remission. Most of us have no idea what the chances are.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I suppose SWR depends on how one defines "safe". VPW defines the withdrawal rate based on a clear model. True, it only considers your spendable portfolio for withdrawals. But you do have the variable of "depletion years" which can be used to select your level of safety. If one has an income source that is substantial (pension, SS, etc.) then one might select the lower number for depletion years. This has the effect of raising the allowed withdrawal rates over the years. So in this sense, SWR does depend on other income sources.

For example, I've set the VPW depletion years to a number such that the portfolio is depleted at age 110. If I look at the graph of inflation adjusted balance, it stays above 50% of my current portfolio out to age 80. This is for a start year of 1968 which was one of the worst times to retire in history. I could make a mid-course adjustment if I want to. For my age, the VPW model allows me to take a 4.5% withdrawal this year.

If I had terminal cancer and only had a few years left, you can bet I would not set the depletion to age 110. Thankfully, I'm in excellent health and firmly knocking on wood as I type this.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm planning on taking 3% in a few months on semi-retirement (I'm 56) while the DW is working, increasing to 5 or even 6% when she retires, until I take SS, then cutting back to 4%, then 4% when she goes on SS and putting the unspent in a taxable account in munis or short-term.
Everyone is different.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #29

Last year was my first year and I took about 1% because everyone says if you retire into a down market that is bad so I waited to see if it was a down market. Now I have made about 100K since retirement and spent about 10K with a little over a million left. I might spend 20-30K this year if I want to but I only need about 10K to meet my cost of living anything else is extras. I think if I stay under 4% for 5 years I will never worry about running out of money if I stay under 2% it will be sooner to loosen spending. I don't have big normal wants so expect to do lumpy withdrawals like to buy a different house then pause spending a year or two, etc.
My worry for people who take 4% is they may live longer than 30 years when they retire under 60.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #30

I don't think I'll be spending much other than on health at 90, if I make it, which is a possibility given my genes (despite my behaviors).
Old 04-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #31

My Okie granddad could hike up the mountain and flyfish until his early 80's, so you never know.