Join Early Retirement Today

Pulling the trigger - shift from mind to heart
Old 07-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pulling the trigger - shift from mind to heart

My date is set and it's only about a month away. Early retirement -- at 54 -- is finally here after so many years of planning and anticipation.

I've had an interesting (to me) realization. Up to this point, the process was largely intellectual in nature. I saved to the maximum, pushed my expenses down to the minimum, and ran the calculators again and again to test out scenarios.

Once I arrived at what seemed to be FI to support a frugal lifestyle, it flipped a switch from intellectual to emotional. I tried to downshift to a part-time job with the company, but it did not work for me, because I've totally lost patience with the personality frictions and dysfunctions inherent to corporate life. Every cell of my being tells me it's time to go.

Now, I don't want to think about the financial side much, other than optimizing withdrawals tax-wise on an annual basis. I feel that I've done all I can, and no matter what's ahead -- e.g., major stock market drop -- everything's going to be OK. Is this what others have experienced?
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #2

Pretty much, yes. It is a huge change and I didn't anticipate how big a change it would be. But it's a nice change.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
=wishin&hopin;1476027]

Now, I don't want to think about the financial side much, other than optimizing withdrawals tax-wise on an annual basis. I feel that I've done all I can, and no matter what's ahead -- e.g., major stock market drop -- everything's going to be OK. Is this what others have experienced?
Yep
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I'm having the exact same experience. I reached FI this year earlier than expected due to an inheritance. I decided to stay at my job until May of 2015 to save up a large cash buffer for the first few years of retirement. However, since reaching FI my patience for BS at work has completely disappeared and there are many days I just think I cannot take it anymore.

One of my more New Agey friends told me "Your soul has made a decision to leave" to explain the way I was feeling. It does feel like emotionally I've moved on and am not really present there anymore, just going through the motions until I can leave.

I recently was given the option to cut back to half-time and I'm considering it but I'm wondering if even half-time will be too much. I have to bite my tongue at work every day to not make sarcastic comments!
inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky View Post
I recently was given the option to cut back to half-time and I'm considering it but I'm wondering if even half-time will be too much. I have to bite my tongue at work every day to not make sarcastic comments!
Your reactions seem very close to mine. Once that internal switch is flipped by FI, there's apparently no going back. Because of that, I suspect you may find a part-time arrangement as unworkable as I did. It became clear to me that even the reduced hours would generate too much stress and frustration -- and nothing less than a full exit would do.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin&hopin View Post
Your reactions seem very close to mine. Once that internal switch is flipped by FI, there's apparently no going back. Because of that, I suspect you may find a part-time arrangement as unworkable as I did. It became clear to me that even the reduced hours would generate too much stress and frustration -- and nothing less than a full exit would do.
Thanks for sharing your experience; it's so helpful to hear from others. My company offers the option to work one quarter on, one quarter off, and I thought that might give me the flexibility to try out retired life and do some nice long trips. However, probably it won't truly feel like freedom until I cut the cord completely.
inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, I'm having the exact same experience. I reached FI this year earlier than expected due to an inheritance. I decided to stay at my job until May of 2015 to save up a large cash buffer for the first few years of retirement. However, since reaching FI my patience for BS at work has completely disappeared and there are many days I just think I cannot take it anymore.

One of my more New Agey friends told me "Your soul has made a decision to leave" to explain the way I was feeling. It does feel like emotionally I've moved on and am not really present there anymore, just going through the motions until I can leave.

Early on I considered part time work, once or twice again since then, and I still have an open offer to work a couple of months a year that I am reminded of regularly.

The more time I spend in retirement the less I am willing to ever consider occasional work. Just the thought of going back to a schedule, a deadline, and especially a boss gives me the creeps. Life is so good without them.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just the thought of going back to a schedule, a deadline, and especially a boss gives me the creeps. Life is so good without them.
+1

To quote Khan, "I'd rather sell a kidney."
Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Early on I considered part time work, once or twice again since then, and I still have an open offer to work a couple of months a year that I am reminded of regularly.

The more time I spend in retirement the less I am willing to ever consider occasional work. Just the thought of going back to a schedule, a deadline, and especially a boss gives me the creeps. Life is so good without them.
+2 I had a nightmare about that last night, and was so glad to awaken to another day of retirement.

Retired life is all that I ever imagined or hoped for. Now that I have tasted retirement, honestly I would never consider occasional, temporary, part time, or any other kind of work.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+2 I had a nightmare about that last night, and was so glad to awaken to another day of retirement.

Retired life is all that I ever imagined or hoped for. Now that I have tasted retirement, honestly I would never consider occasional, temporary, part time, or any other kind of work.
+3
I had a little part time job at a bookstore in San Francisco (sounds nice, right?) for 3 years as I was trying to decide if I really could retire early (at 58+-2 years). I finally quit, but I was concerned that I would miss the routine (only two days a week for 6 hours at a time).

Right after I quit, the "Mother ship" (we were a satellite location) store started instituting timed bathroom breaks and video monitoring. Of the employees, not the customers!

I'm so glad I'm out of there. It was fun for a while. I wondered if I might consider some other very part time retail w*rk, but nahhhh, even a little supposedly stress-free job comes with too many annoyances.

Now I listen to the BART trains pulling out of the station a few blocks from my house, and I'm very glad I'm not on them.
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:18 AM   #11

Quote:
When I pulled the trigger last year, I was given the option of taking a very part time role for 15 months. It's been a useful transition.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:56 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I've found that once you are finally past the financial hurdle and no longer working it offers you the opportunity to really follow pursuits which you truly love. Be sure to find something you are passionate about and pursue it, it will make your days full of joy and give your life purpose. There is way more to life than chasing dollars.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

To quote Khan, "I'd rather sell a kidney."
and true!!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Once you retire, I assume variations on the "I'm back in the office" nightmare replace the universal "I'm back in school taking a test without having attended classes" nightmare!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin&hopin View Post
Once you retire, I assume variations on the "I'm back in the office" nightmare replace the universal "I'm back in school taking a test without having attended classes" nightmare!
Yes, there is some similarity, isn't there! Now that I have been retired for a few years, I seldom have either sort of nightmare any more (thank goodness).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I don't know if I am at FI (the numbers say yes but the heart isn't sure). However for years I knew that I could find another job if I lost mine so I have always had the least tolerance for BS and make lots of sarcastic comments...

I am valued for my honesty and can't seem to get laid off now
Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....The more time I spend in retirement the less I am willing to ever consider occasional work. Just the thought of going back to a schedule, a deadline, ....gives me the creeps. Life is so good without them.
+1 and I really liked my boss.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
I've found that once you are finally past the financial hurdle and no longer working it offers you the opportunity to really follow pursuits which you truly love. Be sure to find something you are passionate about and pursue it, it will make your days full of joy and give your life purpose. There is way more to life than chasing dollars.
Yes...You have done all your homework, and when you know it is OK...it's like a switch has been flipped. I have been retired 6 months now, and it has been wonderful. And I have been doing as XYZ mentioned. All I can say is it's like being in love again. I am happy all the time.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #19

What a great thread.

I believe in my mind that I, too, have reached FI but I just can't make myself jump out of the plane and pull the cord. I got cut back involuntarily to part-time several weeks ago but I'm finding it has actually increased the stress. MegaCorp still gives me work with impossibly short deadlines, project managers call meetings at the drop of a hat and pout when I don't show up on my day off, etc., and there is a constant pall over my head that if I don't stay 100% billable I'll be shown the door. (I'm more than a little hoping that would happen as they have always paid severance in the past.)

Last night I got a wake-up call when I stumbled across the obituary of my best friend from college who died last year. Obviously, we had lost touch considering I didn't even know he died until 8 months later, but it was still a kick in the gut. I'm feeling my soul telling me it's time to go.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #20

Ditto what many have already said. When I realized I was FI...I was done period. No way I could work with the Co. any more!

My only worry is how fast time is going - I've been retired for 8 years now! Loving it and want it to slow down....