Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Purchase Additional Pension Service Credits?
Old 02-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Purchase Additional Pension Service Credits?

My wife's pension has an option that would allow us to purchase additional service credits at the time she retires. For example, we could pay about $70,000 to increase our pension payments about $325 per month. Obviously, we don't have 70K sitting around, so this would have to come from our IRA.

So, I'm curious if it is a wise or foolish decision to take money from the IRA to increase our monthly pension payments?

The pension is a guaranteed amount for life (with COLA), whereas the IRA is subject to market ups and downs and could run out if we withdraw too much too fast.

Thoughts?
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

To effectively evaluate your situation, we will need the time component. Such as current age and years until you begin withdrawal.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
With the limited data you have supplied, you could think of it as: 5.57% return on the 70K.

This drops the more you pull from IRA as you would pay tax, so you could take some out of IRA, and borrow the rest, then each year for a few years take out enough from the IRA to pay off the debt.
Basically spread the IRA withdrawal out over a few years to reduce the tax paid.

Possibly use a HELOC for the source of funds so you get a low interest rate.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
To effectively evaluate your situation, we will need the time component. Such as current age and years until you begin withdrawal.
Sorry, I just learned of this option this morning, so I hadn't given it much thought.

My wife is 48, hoping to retire in 7 years at 55.

My IRA (VBIAX 60/40 mix) should be worth around 150K at that time.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
This drops the more you pull from IRA as you would pay tax, so you could take some out of IRA, and borrow the rest, then each year for a few years take out enough from the IRA to pay off the debt.
Basically spread the IRA withdrawal out over a few years to reduce the tax paid. Possibly use a HELOC for the source of funds so you get a low interest rate.
Hmm.. I hadn't thought about the tax penalty. I don't know what a HELOC is, but sounds like I would have to balance interest rates against tax rates.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

This is a math question. My DH ran the math for both of us and the breakeven point was in our early 80's so we decided it was not worth it.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
This is a math question. My DH ran the math for both of us and the breakeven point was in our early 80's so we decided it was not worth it.
If OP pension has great/good suvivorship included, it could very well be worth it unless they know they are both going to die young.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...etirement-tool

Couple. If the man and woman are married, the chance that at least one of them will live to any given age is increased. There's a 72% chance that one of them will live to age 85 and a 45% chance that one will live to age 90. There's even an 18% chance that one of them will live to age 95, as shown below.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
Hmm.. I hadn't thought about the tax penalty. I don't know what a HELOC is, but sounds like I would have to balance interest rates against tax rates.
HELOC is Home Equity Line Of Credit.

Often you can set these up, for free.
It is basically a way to borrow against the value of the house, and the rates are often lower than regular loans just like mortgages are lower.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #9

Quote:
With the limited data you have supplied, you could think of it as: 5.57% return on the 70K.

Basically spread the IRA withdrawal out over a few years to reduce the tax paid.

Just as I was leaving the public sector, a few years ago, I recall they were starting to look at rollovers from IRAs and 457s to fund purchase of extra pension years ("air time").

If that ever went into effect, would being able to roll IRA funds over make this an even more attractive proposition?
Old 02-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #10

The only reason I would have bought time was if it allowed me to punch out earlier.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #11

Quote:
I ran a few tests in "Flexible Retirement Planner" and don't see that it would offer much benefit for us either. It sounded good in theory, not so much in practice.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #12

Quote:

The OP would be moving the IRA to another qualified plan so there would be no tax on the rollover.....double check with the plan administrator, but when I did the same thing recently, purchase of additional time was allowed from IRA, 403b, 401k etc etc. and no tax was due.

If we assume a 30 year lifespan past 55 and 2% COLA then the IRR of the plan is 5.6%. If you are in good health and like the idea of a 5.6% return and it fits in with your overall asset allocation then go for it.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

You should see whether your wife could pay for the service credit with a pre-tax payroll deduction.

This was possible when I looked into it several years ago, but I don't know if it is possible now.
Persn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persn View Post
You should see whether your wife could pay for the service credit with a pre-tax payroll deduction.
Unfortunately, we're already maxed out on savings and can't afford to set more aside right now.

I did some research last night and they do allow a tax free rollover from an IRA if it's in the same persons name. However, the IRA is mine so I would have to sell funds, get taxed, then purchase the additional service credits.

I ran some numbers and in most cases it just wasn't worth the trouble. Performance from the IRA was at least as equal as the income from the extra service credits.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
Unfortunately, we're already maxed out on savings and can't afford to set more aside right now.

I did some research last night and they do allow a tax free rollover from an IRA if it's in the same persons name. However, the IRA is mine so I would have to sell funds, get taxed, then purchase the additional service credits.

I ran some numbers and in most cases it just wasn't worth the trouble. Performance from the IRA was at least as equal as the income from the extra service credits.
If you would have to pay tax on a withdrawal from the IRA then I would forget the purchase of extra service.....5.6% (assuming an average lifespan and 2% COLA) is ok, but it's probably not worth raiding the IRA.

The extra payroll deduction is the way to go.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

several years ago, I ran the # for my sister. for her, it was the vesting that was the true value. She was able to buy 5 years and be fully vested in the plan. Given that she worked for an elected judge, vesting was important. As it turned out, she made it to 25 years so the extra 5 bought her the full 30 year pension and the vesting was a non-issue. her return was about 6% on the purchase, not too bad.
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

can your wife accumulate 70K in a 401a dc plan in the next 7 years?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

In our state it was a third of your yearly income to buy so really pricey. We could roll over $ from our deferred comp but still was not worth it. Mostly the people that did it used it to buy 5 years so they could retire with 30 years early. I only had 15 in so did not matter.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mostly the people that did it used it to buy 5 years so they could retire with 30 years early. I only had 15 in so did not matter.
It's interesting how states differ. Social Security participation, buying retirement credits, benefits after retirement, etc.

In my state you can buy up to 5 extra years but those years can't be used to retire early. After you work enough years and you are old enough, you can retire. Then there are 60 days for you to decided if you want to buy extra service years. IMHO, they are a descent deal - not great - due to their limited COLA, and if one plans on living at least 20 more years after retirement.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
and if one plans on living at least 20 more years after retirement.
that's always the rub...