pushing out retirement to help kids with college

Pell grant and loans are only part of the equation. Did the children also apply for state grants? scholarships? work-study? Do you factor in the tax-related credit/deduction that the children (or you) might be eligible for - American Opportunity is worth up to $2500 per year for the first $4k out of your pocket; Lifetime Learning Credit is worth up to $2k year; Tuition and fees deduction; cash in savings bonds ... each credit/deduction type has specific requirements that must be met. Student Loans have potential to be forgiven depending on employer and field of study. Some employers are paying down some portion of student loans as a job benefit. Some employers provide tuition assistance. There are plenty of jobs on campus that could help subsidize the costs. There is always a stint in the military as an option. The 2 year community college to a 4 year school is definitely a huge money saver.

My DS didn't go to college right away, and at 26 decided he wanted to. My ex and I told him we'd each pay for 1/3 of his college expenses, with him covering the other 1/3.

He did his first 2 years at a CC living at home and took advantage of Washington State's transfer program. He worked his butt off and also worked as a TA during the last year of his BS program.

I had always kept a mental reserve of money for him in case he decided to go back to school. He needed only about half of it, I think at least partially due to the fact that he was responsible for his share of the total cost. I gave him the rest of my mental reserve to help him buy his first house.

Wife & I are planning to tell our cherubs - 10 & 15 - it's all them. Then when they are in late 20s give a large check. Idea being they will work harder / play less while in school.

Besides, if by college age they can't sort stuff in life to get by I've failed as a parent. Time for me (parent) & them (kids) to try a different approach.
Here's another approach. Consider requiring them to work in high school + college to pay for their degrees, and then you'll provide financial support while they are making good progress toward their degrees. Unlike the OP, your post states that you have the $.

You may raise their chances of graduating with a college degree if you provide financial help when it's most needed - during their college years.

Another point to keep in mind, for young adults returning to college after a break, at age 24 and older they are no longer considered dependents and parent's income does not count against financial aid for FAFSA. So for kids close to that age, CC at home for a year or two and then going to a more expensive school and qualifying for financial aid might be an option to consider.

Wife & I are planning to tell our cherubs - 10 & 15 - it's all them. Then when they are in late 20s give a large check. Idea being they will work harder / play less while in school.

Besides, if by college age they can't sort stuff in life to get by I've failed as a parent. Time for me (parent) & them (kids) to try a different approach.

The problem is parental income and assets are generally counted for financial aid for students under 24. Our kids' friends who didn't get any parental financial help for college and yet didn't qualify for much if any financial aid because of the parents finances were stuck between a rock and a hard place, especially living in a high cost of living area.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have went above and beyond as a parent. It’s time to take care of yourselves now, retire and enjoy life!

My youngest son graduated high school at 16 , went to college for a year and dropped out. He moved across the country and worked. At 21 he was considered independent of us for financial aid.

As others have pointed out there are lots of ways to approach the cost of college. I believe there are consultants who can help. In this situation that may be money well invested.

Retire because if you develop disabling health conditions, or God-forbid die, you won't be able to help them.

Last edited:
Is this degree program a good investment?

Many environmental science BS grads have trouble getting good jobs. If he was very good in science and math in High School he could try one of the more rigorous programs. Ster till, a job-oriented 2-yr degree program sounds like a better investment for him.

Few enter these 2-yr programs out of high school because "Waste Management technician" "Health physics technician" etc. do not sound like fun. Those running these programs tell me they get folks with BS in Biology coming back to school for these programs.

A two-yr program will cost a lot less, so you could budget less for his help

Many environmental science BS grads have trouble getting good jobs. ....

My concern as well.

The son should take the required courses, ideally at a CC, then research the jobs in the field before committing to an environmental science major. At the start of the Sophomore year he should consider all options including various medical technologies. [My opinion: Watch out for the Biosciences, high standards, low pay for skills required.]

My DD enrolled in a university engineering program then discovered it was too much an 'individual contributor' profession. Academically she was doing VERY well but when looking at engineering as a profession she didn't find it a good fit for her other skills. She transferred to their school of Finance.

I believe students should have a goal but be prepared to change that goal to accommodate new information.

The department of labor puts out job outlook for different positions in all the states. If he plans to stay in the state he is located your local unemployment office will also have that information. As others have stated the pay is low and outlook generally poor.

Last edited:
As in most fields networking makes a difference. If the prospective student can land a job while in school that is directly related to that field he will not only know if he likes the work but he will know those who can help him with employment. For example Bioscience majors should work as a Lab Assistant before or during college.

My youngest son graduated high school at 16 , went to college for a year and dropped out. He moved across the country and worked. At 21 he was considered independent of us for financial aid.

Rules now and for the past ten or so years:

Until you're 24 or older by December 31st of the academic year for which financial aid is being evaluated, you are considered a dependent student UNLESS one of the following criteria is met:

- Already completed a first bachelor's degree
- Orphaned
- In the military or a veteran
- Declared an emancipated minor by a judge (at the time that you were still a minor)
- In foster care after age 13
- Married
- Have legal dependents for whom the applicant provides more than half the support
- Been documented as homeless by a McKinney-Vento Coordinator or the director of a youth homeless shelter

The only other option is to have a Financial Aid Officer at your college grant a dependency override. If the parent in question is incarcerated, institutionalized, the subject of a restraining order involving the student, has whereabouts that are unknown, there has been rejection/abuse related to sexual orientation or religious affiliation, or there is a lengthy history of no contact, then dependency overrides are usually granted if there is substantiation/documentation of one of those exceptions. It is very, very rare to see dependency overrides approved in circumstances where there is still a relationship.

Daylate, I have been retired 6 years so things may have changed. We never had much luck placing people with these degrees into jobs. Sometimes a occupation will have a great national outlook but be terrible in some states.

Pot, wow things have changed but that son is now 38.

I'm a little late to this one....forgive if someone else mentioned this already. I'm just too tired to read thru 4 pages of responses..

Again, why does this have to be black and white? To retire completely or not retire completely? Are there not stress free PT or consulting jobs available for OP? Quit the "killer" job and do something you enjoy, even if it is for lower pay. ANYTHING is better than killing yourself. Even a $20k a year gig would help your kids and allow you to stay within your retirement guidelines.

Or reduce your spending. Downsize. Sell a car. Move to a cheaper area. In 2-3 years, once the kid college deal has been dealt with, regroup and up grade your retirement. Think outside the box.

BTW: think of it this way with the eldest. If you had retired two years ago, and he now decided to go back to school, would he STILL expect his retired parents to help out? How about if he knew you would have to take a job to do that? I doubt it, and that situation is not really much different than the one you are considering.
Good luck.

If your health is being compromised by your work environment then consider that sacrificing the two years now may just be giving up more enjoyable years for less enjoyable last two years.

I think I would rather let them take out loans (I would not co-sign), work while going to school, work for a scholarship,etc. If they were not claimed on your taxes and have no money then they could even qualify for food stamps and possible other financial assistance.

Then in the future you could help each of them for two years them with up to $14k/year to pay off debts or a lesser amount/yr up to a total of what you originally considered.

Cheers!

Pot, wow things have changed but that son is now 38.

They haven't changed that much. I'm also 38 and here are the FAFSA questions I had to answer to determine independence. I was able to answer Yes to one of the questions below and therefore receive independent status, which only helped me qualify for Federal loans.

Not sure how your son would have qualified simply due to working and living on his own. Was he emancipated?

- Were you born before January 1, 1974?
- Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
- Will you be enrolled in a graduate or professional program (beyond a bachelor’s degree) in 1997-98?
- Are you married?
- Are you an orphan or a ward of the court, or were you a ward of the court until age 18?
- Do you have legal dependents (other than a spouse)

take care of health now!

You don't need to wait till you retire to take care of your health! That's very important. So you have a son half way through college and another wanting a 2nd BS degree?

We have 2 kids we put through college. We started saving $750 a month when they were in junior high after meeting with a CFP and were able to fund their 5 year degrees at a state college 9 hours away from home. We made good money (together) and so it worked. It was a great relief to get them both off our payroll at the end of the 5 year period, however. Our daughter got her BS in Nursing (she worked hard and got good grades and worked part time for spending money). Our son got his BS in Accounting and managed to get his MS in Accounting as well during his 5th year. So, for us, it was 5 years. Our daughter had to get into the nursing program within the college first which delayed her 1 semester.

A friend of my husband used to say (he and his wife raised 4 kids) you either pay now or you pay later. I often thought of that since I didn't want 30 something year olds struggling to make ends meet. Both our kids make over $100k now and are just turning 29 and 30 this fall. Hallelujah! They are fully launched.

As for us, I never got a 4 year degree and paid for every nickel of my 2 year degree (parents couldn't help). My husband got his engineering degree during the first 2 1/2 years of our marriage as I worked and he went to school full time (Electrical Engineering is no joke). He did work one summer at the blackjack table in Reno between semesters. He had a blast and made some good $$. He graduated at age 29.

So, back to our philosophy. Since things went very well for us after my husband got his Engineering degree, we decided we wanted to fund our kids' degrees. They worked every summer starting with first year in high school and saved up to pay for half of their first car. They always had skin in the game. We also told them if their grades were below Bs while in college, it would be game over. We would stop paying and bring them home. They both also had to maintain certain GPAs for their majors so that helped also.

I think most of us parents want more for our kids than we had. But, with that said, kids need to partner with you to help out with expenses. YOU do need to address your health problems right away. There's stress classes with the HMOs and yoga and counseling through your health care provider that's just a co-pay away. There's even EAP (free through your work at most large companies). I went to one of those counselors once when I had a run in with my boss. It was WONDERFUL. 3 free visits for each topic. So many topics like the one you are wrestling with or work stress etc.

It sounds like you didn't plan for the costs that were involved for some reason with regards to college for your kids or maybe your oldest threw a curve ball with his wanting a 2nd BS degree. My husband retired a year ago (1 year EARLIER than the original plan) because we ran the numbers and figured out it was worth it for him to leave his very stressful job than to grind away another year for another $300 a month. Life is too short! So he did retire and then lost 25 lbs while starting a lot of athletic activities. He LOVES his new life. I'm so glad we decided he could retire.

Also, on another note, is your nest egg really big like in your 401k? If so, you can withdraw while you are working since you are over 59 1/2. The tax law is more favorable (federal) and we are all in lower brackets than 2017. As a result, we are now paying off our house by the end of 2018.

So, there's a lot of variables that might make it all do-able. You may be able to retire AND help w/ college. It sounds like you have raised some awesome sons!

Sometimes my husband is tight w/ money even though we are sitting pretty financially. And he acts like we can't afford things that we certainly can. I guess it's from years of watching our dollars and dimes and nickels. Sorry for the long post. We all want you to be healthy so that you can enjoy a well deserved retirement.

Actually I think we are doing ok and could swing both retirement and helping but, my wife is very worried about it unless I keep working.

My oldest has an Associates degree in forestry. We've helped the other kids more than we've helped him so, we feel it's only fair to do some more.

Sounds like classic burnout and you should seek some help to unwind this. Your kids will survive with or without your help but you are not on a good path. Be kind to yourself first.

I'm basically FI. I'm doing OMY (or more) to build some buffer and help my sons in terms of possible inheritance. Although this is different from what you plan to do, the purpose is the same.
I'm 54, and my job is not stressful. But I still want to get out as soon as possible.
I disagree with you. If you are 54, it might be another 40 years before your sons see a dime!

Back
Top Bottom