Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Just my 2 cents, I would probably contribute to the Roth after I have an established emergency fund.

I think that either way you decide will help your financial picture.

An idea that hasn't been brought up yet that I will throw out there (that I heard on a MoneyMatters radio call-in show), is "Split it". Put half in the Roth, half toward the house. Lots of times we forget the "compromise". You might feel real confident about splitting it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineeringMyFinances View Post
You say that you're contributing a bit more than necessary to get your employer's 401(k) match. What are the fund options in your 401(k) plan like?
Various mutual funds and then the Vanguard Target Retirement family. Right now I'm 100% in VG Target 2025. I haven't looked too closely at the other funds; some of them looked okay, some not. I haven't inquired about additional fees imposed by the company servicing the 401k, but that's my next step.

Here are the other funds:
WATFX Western Asset Core Bond Portfolio-Inst
VBAIX Vanguard Balanced Index-Inst
VIIIX Vanguard Institutional Index-Inst Plus
FCNTX Fidelity Contrafund
GSTIX Goldman Sachs Strategic Growth-Inst
SSHFX Sound Shore Fund
LLPFX Longleaf Partners Fund
HWMIX Hotchkis and Wiley Mid Cap Value-I
NBGIX Neuberger Berman Genesis-Inst
TMGFX Turner Midcap Growth-I
USRLX Undiscovered Managers Small Cap Growth- Ist
FDIVX Fidelity Diversified International
DRGTX RCM Technology Fund-Inst
WATFX Western Asset Core Bond Portfolio-Inst
VBAIX Vanguard Balanced Index-Inst
VIIIX Vanguard Institutional Index-Inst Plus
FCNTX Fidelity Contrafund
GSTIX Goldman Sachs Strategic Growth-Inst
SSHFX Sound Shore Fund
LLPFX Longleaf Partners Fund
HWMIX Hotchkis and Wiley Mid Cap Value-I
NBGIX Neuberger Berman Genesis-Inst
TMGFX Turner Midcap Growth-I
USRLX Undiscovered Managers Small Cap Growth- Ist
FDIVX Fidelity Diversified International
DRGTX RCM Technology Fund-Inst

Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompoundInterestFan View Post
Various mutual funds and then the Vanguard Target Retirement family. Right now I'm 100% in VG Target 2025. I haven't looked too closely at the other funds; some of them looked okay, some not. I haven't inquired about additional fees imposed by the company servicing the 401k, but that's my next step.

Here are the other funds:
Wow!! Lucky you -- that quite an array of options . Certainly more than you need to consider right now -- but if you stay with your employer -- more than enough to construct a decent asset allocation over time within your 401K.

So with all of these options, and your ability to save outside of your 401K, you might want to consider investigating asset allocation -- and looking at establishing an allocation across all of your investments. One of the most helpful books I've read is All About Asset Allocation by Richard Ferri. It will help you decide which of these funds you want to consider for your next investment.

-- Rita
Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You loose the opportunity to place your money in a Spousal ROTH IRA as each year passes. Can't add more the next year to make up for missed contributions if you come into more money. However, you can always pay down your mortgage faster in future years if you still have additional money. My personal opinion is to always max out a ROTH IRA. It is one of the best deals going.

Tags
401k, mortgage