Join Early Retirement Today

"Putting Your Mortgage in Reverse"
Old 11-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

"Putting Your Mortgage in Reverse"

We've mentioned reverse mortgages in passing, but here's a good summary from the Sunday WSJ.

"The Federal Housing Administration insured 74,412 "home equity conversion" mortgages during the year ended Sept. 30, compared with 43,082 the previous year, according to the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Nearly half of all FHA reverse mortgages have been originated in the last two years."

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "Putting Your Mortgage in Reverse"
Old 11-14-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

The article was informative, but I tried the calculator referenced, and I am more confused than ever. I would guess the reverse mortgage will get alot cheaper, more competitive, and alot more transparent to the customer in the next few years. The concept interests me, having a good portion of my net worth in a house.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:49 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
costs for a 74-year-old borrower in a $250,000 home in May 2006 could be about $25,000 -- not including interest. For that, the homeowner could draw about $1,000 in monthly payments.
Yikes! 10 % can go to fees! Yup we need some competition in this industry.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:48 AM   #4

I also ran the Calculator with some fictitious numbers. Someone help me out reading this result. Are there 3 diff. programs with cash payouts of $122K, $54K and 138K? If so why the big Diff?

I don't get it!

Old 11-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #5

Some more calculators/information - FYI...

http://www.aarp.org/money/revmort/
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 AM   #6

It's horribly bad from a financial point of view. I think the people who use this "Reverse Mortgage" do so for emotional reasons.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
It's horribly bad from a financial point of view. I think the people who use this "Reverse Mortgage" do so for emotional reasons.
It's a small market where one or two players can set the rates and rake in as much as they can handle. The fact that it's doubled in the last year means eventual competition & consolidation that'll drive down their margins and make them a better deal for consumers (although not a great deal).

I think the people buying reverse mortgages do it for the running-out-of-money, afraid-of-outliving-their-portfolio, and can't-go-back-to-work reasons. It's probably the last resort.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
It's only horribly bad from a financial point of view, if you are planning on Living forever. However, If you 'feel' you might die someday and not want to leave anything to anyone and want to live in your existing house, it is a way to spend more money when you are alive.

got a better way to do this? - I'm listening.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
It's only horribly bad from a financial point of view, if you are planning on Living forever. However, If you 'feel' you might die someday and not want to leave anything to anyone and want to live in your existing house, it is a way to spend more money when you are alive.

got a better way to do this? - I'm listening.
Your "want to live in your existing house" requirement precludes other ways.

Edit to add:
Not sure what you mean by "not want to leave anything to anyone" ? With this reverse mortgage you are leaving what's left of your house to the bank. I'd rather leave it to my kids or to charity.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
With this reverse mortgage you are leaving what's left of your house to the bank. I'd rather leave it to my kids or to charity.
If there is equity left in the house at the time of your death, it can still go to your heirs. Your estate can sell the house and pay off the loan to the bank.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Your "want to live in your existing house" requirement precludes other ways.

Edit to add:
Not sure what you mean by "not want to leave anything to anyone" ? With this reverse mortgage you are leaving what's left of your house to the bank. I'd rather leave it to my kids or to charity.
What I mean, is that when my wife and I are dead, we don't care who gets the house.

We're dead and I don't plan on worrying about much when I'm dead!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
We're dead and I don't plan on worrying about much when I'm dead!
Don't worry, you won't, even if you want to
Old 11-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron'Da
Some more calculators/information - FYI...

http://www.aarp.org/money/revmort/
This calculator (and/or the results) was even worse than the first. I think they sold me - on giving up on the idea of a reverse mortgage.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Don't worry, you won't, even if you want to
So, you do get the idea!
Yeah..... I meant to do this
Old 12-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah..... I meant to do this

Sorry, folks.....I did a search on reverse mortgages and this is the only thread I found. Nearly all the comments made seem to be relevent two yrs later esp. with regard to clarity and cost of this procedure. The best website I found was AARP.org

Background

My 68 yo brother has lots of rental properties (95% of his assets) and seems to be ready to withdraw from being a landlord, but does not wish to sell until the market rebounds. In the meantime he mentioned getting a reverse mortgage on his residence. I asked "why?", but cant get to the root of the issue (i.e. does he have financial problems). The costs involved are so high that this is a last-resort type strategy IMO. He just says the closing costs are less than a realtor's commission and based on that it's reasonable.

In doing a bit of research, I am forming an opinion that a combination of the highest cash payout and a monthly adjustable interest rate would be the best choice for him.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mortgage