Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

It's a tough decision, but in the long run pets that are loved are luckier than humans. At least they get to die with dignity.

Before making any decisions, why not talk to your vet. Find out what the prognosis is, how much pain your dog is having and/or will have as her condition worsens, and ask the vet for an educated guess on how long the animal can reasonably live in comfort.

As far as having a back yard is concerned - I doubt very much that your dog knows what a back yard is. Move to an apartment and take her out for regular outings to parks or just around the block.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

This has turned out to be a sad thread. After 36 years together, DW and I have had many dogs and a few cats. We had to put the latest one down last week. She was a beautiful, sweet calico that we rescued about 13 years ago, her age 16-20 YO. Diagnosed with kidney failure three years ago, we have been giving her a fluid infusion daily. She went down quickly, starting to howl at strange hours, and lost a lot of weight. We probably waited about a week too long to take for her final trip, but if you held her, she seemed fine. She joined a dog and a pet rooster under a large water oak overlooking the lake. We donated the leftover infusion needles and liquid bags to local humane society.

Can't say I miss being the cat doctor, but I do miss that sweet cat. The other cat and devil dog seem much calmer without her. DW shed many tears, a few myself. Must be my age.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
It's a tough decision, but in the long run pets that are loved are luckier than humans. At least they get to die with dignity.

Before making any decisions, why not talk to your vet. Find out what the prognosis is, how much pain your dog is having and/or will have as her condition worsens, and ask the vet for an educated guess on how long the animal can reasonably live in comfort.

As far as having a back yard is concerned - I doubt very much that your dog knows what a back yard is. Move to an apartment and take her out for regular outings to parks or just around the block.
I think talking to the vet is a good idea. You can get more information on how she's doing now, and what the next signs of decline will be.

I have an old cat (almost 17!), and she's had kidney disease for several years. We did a few months of subQ fluids, but she started hating them so much we took her off. We give her watery wet food daily, and she's more playful than she's been in years. I keep expecting her to go downhill soon, but so far, she's really hanging in there.

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am sure that I will get a lot of people saying negative things about me, but I have not seen anybody say something different.... and I am sure there are a number of people who think the same way as I do but do not want to get in trouble...

My cat is my pet... We did rescue her from the street when her other family left her to fend for herself even though they had declawed her front paws... She has now been with us for over 3 years and we love her... she is a great cat and enjoys being around us and we enjoy being with her...

But if she got some disease that cost a lot of money (one mentioned $300 or more per month), she would be put to sleep... she is not a son or a daughter, but a pet... and I do not confuse the two....

I have a sister who is just the opposite... she spend many thousands of dollars on a dog she got from the rescue place... she had only owned it a week when the problems started to happen.... and there was more than one problem...

So to me, the bottom line is if the animal is having problems or not.... not where you live... to put down an animal just so you can move I would disagree with... as long as he/she is OK, you should either move and take them with you and have them adjust to the new place or not move.... but if the animal is already in extraordinary circumstances, then stopping the care is a different decision... which has nothing to do with moving....
Old 12-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #45

I will not tell DW about your post. I really don't want to hear her comments about your moral character, for hours.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #46

For us it's when the pet can no longer enjoy quality of life. We worked with our vet each and every time to make sure we were doing the right thing at the right time. And it's something we don't take lightly.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
For us it's when the pet can no longer enjoy quality of life. We worked with our vet each and every time to make sure we were doing the right thing at the right time. And it's something we don't take lightly.
+1, I really appreciate my vet, as she has always reminded me that quality of life should be the key. She even came to my home (20 mile drive) so my previous lab could expire where he was most comfortable.

I could never have an animal put down for any other reason (than quality of life). I am single with no kids so my labs are family to me.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Euthanasia for convenience? - No
Euthanasia a day sooner rather than later due to pain or illness? - Yes
Euthanasia over the high cost of treatment? - Yes
I am an animal lover and have been present when having made that ultimate decision for many cats, dogs and horses. I just wish we could have the same option for humans as we do for our pets.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer08 View Post
euthanasia for convenience? - no
euthanasia a day sooner rather than later due to pain or illness? - yes
euthanasia over the high cost of treatment? - yes
i am an animal lover and have been present when having made that ultimate decision for many cats, dogs and horses. I just wish we could have the same option for humans as we do for our pets.

bingo!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #50

We have an 8 year old dog now, healthy and full of energy when not napping. Sure I rather not pay the vet, kennel, etc, but he'll be part of the family for another 7 - 8 more years, not changing that if within my power for a few bucks or convenience. Not looking forward to the day when we have to put him down due to health as my kids known him all their life.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #51

In 2002 we had a 3 year old schnauzer who became ill very suddenly. Off to the emergency vet. Long story short, he had hemolytic anemia. My husband and I had no experience with this. So we agreed to the preliminary treatments of blood transfusions, chemo, doggie ICU, oxygenated kennel...etc. Once into the process, we agreed to more of the same. It kept him alive for 2 weeks. I went down and held him for an afternoon. When I got home, the Intensive Care vet called me and Max had gone into convulsions. I told him to put him down. It was a crisis and I was an hour plus away. My husband wanted to do more and I said "No....at this point it is selfish of us to put him thru any more of this". Cost was over $3,500 dollars and I swore I would never put another pet of ours thru this again. Cost does becomes a factor when the possible outcome is not at all positive. Of course they didn't tell us that in the beginning.
Max was so much a part of our family that we made a family album just for Max. We grieved his loss. Making the album helped.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #52

Quote:
This is about right, I think, though we'd all have our own thresholds for what is "high cost" beyond what we are willing to bear. If I can reasonably afford veterinary treatment that maintains and extends a "life worth living" for my pets, the cost isn't even remotely a factor. But if the cost of saving the life is a serious financial hardship -- especially if it's not an acute condition that can be fully "cured" -- then we'd have to swallow and think long and hard.

In 2002, we had a 13-year-old cat which started to get really sluggish around the house and was barely eating. Turns out her kidneys were failing and she needed immediate "inpatient" treatment for 48 hours, and after consulting with the vet we started a course of treatment beyond that as well. But we noticed that with the initial "detox" and the ongoing treatments, she seemed to have a high quality of life otherwise. As long as that was the case and we could afford the treatment, that's how it was going to be even if it meant a little out of the discretionary budget for other stuff.

But after a few months, she developed anemia (common among kidney patients) which was treatable with Epogen for a while (not cheap stuff). But then she developed antibodies and started rejecting her own red blood cells. We had to stop that treatment, just keep the previous treatment regimen and make a judgment call on when to let her go. She did fine for a while and then started crashing one day -- a Friday afternoon -- and it was obviously time. We called the vet's office on Saturday, and after they closed at 4 PM she came over to our house with a tech and put our cat to sleep.

In all, we probably spent over $2,000 on everything for the last 7 months. But I'm very glad we did it, and very glad we also received a pretty clear "signal" from our cat that this was the end and it was time to set her free. If we had it to do over again, I think we would have done the exact same thing.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
We have an 8 year old dog now, healthy and full of energy when not napping. Sure I rather not pay the vet, kennel, etc, but he'll be part of the family for another 7 - 8 more years, not changing that if within my power for a few bucks or convenience. Not looking forward to the day when we have to put him down due to health as my kids known him all their life.
Hopefully you won't have to. We've had 5 dogs, and only had to put one down for health reasons (cancer)...the others all died relatively peacefully.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am an animal lover and have been present when having made that ultimate decision for many cats, dogs and horses. I just wish we could have the same option for humans as we do for our pets.
This is kinda what I was trying to say, but it is said a WHOLE lot better than how I put it.... thanks....
Old 12-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil Wheel View Post
...(snip)...
I have a yellow lab that will be 10 years old next May. The vet put her on Rimadyl earlier this year (pain killer for dogs) because she was crying out while getting up. The medicine helped, but she is losing her spark a bit more each day.
I realize that Rimadyl is probably not your chief cost issue. This is a small savings tip: for our dog we got a prescription from the vet and used an on-line vet (might have been Foster Smith) to fill the order. Also got the larger pills and split them.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
This is a small savings tip: for our dog we got a prescription from the vet and used an on-line vet (might have been Foster Smith) to fill the order.
With the caveat that some vets won't write a prescription to be filled outside their own practice. in that case, you have to decide whether to eat the higher cost to have them fill it or find another vet.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
With the caveat that some vets won't write a prescription to be filled outside their own practice. in that case, you have to decide whether to eat the higher cost to have them fill it or find another vet.
I think the Foster Smith vet offered to call in the order to the local vet. Makes you wonder who's side the vet is on if they won't help with costs.

P.S. Eventually we did have to put our wonderful Corgi down. But he had some years of good life left and was doing straight runs with me down the street (while blind) even in the last week. Got a little more costly towards the end but we stopped at the "think about an operation" stage.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #58

Seems pretty split in the gray area...I vote for thinking first of the quality of life of the pet. I always ask myself one question...and it reminds me of economic classes in college...but substitute "happiness" for "utility" in the phrase my teachers used....

By keeping the dog alive, is his/her overall happiness positive? If so, keep him/her alive. If, on balance, the dog has more bad times than good, then perhaps it's time to let go.

I know there are financial limits for all of us, but sometimes I can find something I'm willing to give up in exchange for more "happy" time for my pet if it comes to that. I can give up the one week vacation or cancel my cable TV for 4 months if that provides me enough money to keep my pet happily alive for another few months.

Good luck with this difficult decision. We have a 12-year-old Sheltie and we may struggle with this same decision in the next few years.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #59

If it is just arthritis, then you can massage the joints and help alleviate some of the pain. There are lots of great videos on youtube for massaging your dog/cat. If it is just because you are "done" with having all the responsibility of a yard, big house, and pet....then I would highly suggest you give your dog over to someone who will appreciate her.
As for the discussion on when it is "ok" to euthanize your animal....they will give you the look...I have had to do this twice and both times they let me know.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #60
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
If it is just arthritis, then you can massage the joints and help alleviate some of the pain.
Can you write me an Rx to give to DW? ...

Sorry, I had to add some levity to this thread...