Join Early Retirement Today

QE4?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

QE4?

Several threads running on the current (almost correction) and it seems to be blamed on everything from Ebola to declining oil prices. I do not recall anybody mentioning the end of QE3 as the most logical explanation?

Under that scenario where do you think the FED will step in and announce QE4 or some other acronym :
S&P 1750,1650 or will they let it go to 1600 as they are usually behind the curve?
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Several threads running on the current (almost correction) and it seems to be blamed on everything from Ebola to declining oil prices. I do not recall anybody mentioning the end of QE3 as the most logical explanation?

Under that scenario where do you think the FED will step in and announce QE4 or some other acronym :
S&P 1750,1650 or will they let it go to 1600 as they are usually behind the curve?
The fundamentals of the economy look to be in "okay" shape overall, no worse than when the FED announced plans to increase interest rates. I don't think the Fed will jump in just to bump up (frothy) stock prices. I hope.
If we get dragged into a recession by Europe, then maybe we'll see a QE4.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

This economy seems addicted to cheap credit at the expense of savers. No one wants the market or the economy to crash, but at some point we have to wean ourselves off of cheap money.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #4

The thing is, you would expect long-term rates to increase with the end of QE3, not decrease like they have. I think people have vastly over-estimated QE's importance.

I don't think the FED is going to do any more QE unless job growth stalls out. I don't think the level of the stock market will factor into their decision much.

I do suspect that rates will stay low for longer than people are currently expecting. They aren't going to raise rates when deflation is a bigger concern than inflation.

Quote:

Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think the drop in long term rates is just typical market behavior when equities drop: market plunge = buy treasuries. It does not have to make sense for everyone to do it. Longer term, I imagine that short term rates will not rise for quite a while, but longer term rates will start to do so. No way does the FOMC want to risk an inverted yield curve or deflation.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #6

Stocks were dropping as QE winds down, until St Louis Fed guy said they will come to the rescue. Stocks bounce.

Like a junkie who needs one more fix, we are dependent on Fed stimulus to keep going.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

No, not a logical explanation as interest rates have continued to drop even in the face of diminishing QE3.

Don't expect the Fed to respond to market levels.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I think the drop in long term rates is just typical market behavior when equities drop: market plunge = buy treasuries. It does not have to make sense for everyone to do it. Longer term, I imagine that short term rates will not rise for quite a while, but longer term rates will start to do so. No way does the FOMC want to risk an inverted yield curve or deflation.
Interest rates were already dropping well ahead of the sell-offs.

The 10-year has been dropping since Dec 2013, and continued to drop even more after March 2014 while the market was putting on a good rally through Sept.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't think the sell off has much to do with Ebola. I think it's due to a weak economy in Europe and the Fed scaling back treasury purchases.

Bdroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

It's due to a burst mini-bubble in oil prices, with a little Ebola panic thrown into the mix.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lower oil prices hurt oil company profits but they help all other companies and individuals. I don't see why lower oil prices would cause a broad market correction.

Bdroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdroc View Post
Lower oil prices hurt oil company profits but they help all other companies and individuals. I don't see why lower oil prices would cause a broad market correction.

Simple - too many large oil speculators caught leaning the wrong way. Market disruptions occur as they unwind their positions. Longer term, sure, it will benefit the economy.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Interest rates were already dropping well ahead of the sell-offs.

The 10-year has been dropping since Dec 2013, and continued to drop even more after March 2014 while the market was putting on a good rally through Sept.
I would be very surprised if supply and demand for Treasuries did not have something to do with the move in treasury rates. Megabanks have to hew to screwy new liquidity requirements that add significant incentive to buy treasuries and similar things (agencies, etc.) and not hold munis, corporates, etc. At the same time, new issuance has been down as the deficit is somewhat reduced.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I would be very surprised if supply and demand for Treasuries did not have something to do with the move in treasury rates. Megabanks have to hew to screwy new liquidity requirements that add significant incentive to buy treasuries and similar things (agencies, etc.) and not hold munis, corporates, etc. At the same time, new issuance has been down as the deficit is somewhat reduced.
There had been a lot of folks betting on interest rates rising with the unwinding of QE3, and when they didn't, kept having to cover. I think this also contributed.