Join Early Retirement Today

Qtrly Volatility for an actual 60:40 AA
Old 07-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Qtrly Volatility for an actual 60:40 AA

For those who like numbers/picture as much as words, here are the actual quarterly returns for
  • the past 11-12 years for a 60:40 AA,
  • rebalanced using the 25/5 rule,
  • with essentially no timing/trading (tweaked asset classes a few times, but never panic bought/sold anything).
I won't say I enjoyed waiting for the 2008-09 meltdown market bottom, but I slept fine through it all. Just another data point for those wondering about risk tolerance. YMMV

Note: It's been shown here many times that the historical difference in success rates between 40:60 and 60:40 are slight. Presumably less volatile with little effect on success FWIW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quarterly Returns.jpg (144.4 KB, 93 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Looks like market is due for major correction based purely on the visuals presented here

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Bnk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Note: It's been shown here many times that the historical difference in success rates between 40:60 and 60:40 are slight. Presumably less volatile with little effect on success FWIW.
I keep reading that here. If so, why does one bother leaning one way or the other?

Why not split it down the middle at 50/50 and let it go? I know a lot of folks here do that, but more curious about those who move more in either direction if it falls into the "it doesn't really mater" category
Old 07-30-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I keep reading that here. If so, why does one bother leaning one way or the other?
People might want to optimize for metrics other than just success rate. Like volatility or average ending balance. While 30 year success rate might not change much, there can be bigger differences on these other criteria.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
People might want to optimize for metrics other than just success rate. Like volatility or average ending balance. While 30 year success rate might not change much, there can be bigger differences on these other criteria.
Good point. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Midpack, I'm impressed that you kept it at 60/40 for so long a time.

This is about the same timespan I've been retired (since Apr 2003). During that time our portfolio varied from a beginning 74/26, to 57/43 at the start of the 2008 decline, to 46/54 at the market low in 2009, to the current 55/45 with plenty of tinkering from me along the way. I'm always looking for a way to game the system .
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

Why not split it down the middle at 50/50 and let it go? I know a lot of folks here do that, but more curious about those who move more in either direction if it falls into the "it doesn't really mater" category
One thing that concerns me about going as low as 40/60 is that is near the inflection point where FIRECalc starts showing reduced success rates. Assuming the future rhymes with the past instead of duplicating it, I can't help thinking it might be safer to be near the midpoint of that chart (~ 60/40 - 70/30)?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote