Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Anyone that takes any number, 50%, 80%, or 120% found on the internet as 'their number', needs to keep working.
There ya go! We are in full agreement. There is too much variability in what's included (or not) in both the numerator and denominator that determine those percentages that they're more than meaningless, they're dangerous.

The guy spending at a 120% of his working income level may be living more conservatively than the guy spending at 50%.

I'm all for working in absolute numbers.

I do absolutely agree with you that there are expenditures encountered while working that will go away once you are retired and they can be significant. I just handle them in absolute numbers and not in percentages related to my final income while working.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

This post is so unlike Midpack. It's like one of those Sunday puzzles -find 5 things wrong with this picture.
I can't believe people are getting money for cut and paste information like this(the book author/publisher)
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Heck if they wait until they're 85 they'll need to save next to nothing. This must be the plan of many.
Well, as I see it some people just are not good at saving money. I am not even talking about investing, just saving anything at the end of the month. Some people just can't seem to do it.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texconsin View Post
We also get $30 per payroll ($780 per year) toward the HSA max...

When the taxman throws you a bone, you clamp down and don't let go. Just so they don't go to means testing when I retire...but, isn't that the whole point of progressive tax rates when I'm working?
My company gives me I think $400 a year for HSA. And I get free VA healthcare, so I am going to use them more this year to save money.

If they ever go to means testing for SS or a 401K withdrawal, I am screwed...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
This post is so unlike Midpack. It's like one of those Sunday puzzles -find 5 things wrong with this picture.
I can't believe people are getting money for cut and paste information like this(the book author/publisher)
Wow. Obviously there are unlimited sets of assumptions, so the exact numbers aren't the point. If you want to see the numbers for a different set of assumptions, the math is not that hard.

The point was only to provide an illustration of the relative portfolios required at 62, 66 & 70 due to increased Soc Sec benefits and fewer years of retirement income. Would you dispute the portfolio required (to provide retirement income to supplement Soc Sec benefits) decreases significantly by waiting to retire at 62 vs 66 vs 70?

Again, the intent was for those members here who may be asked to (casually) advise folks who can't retire early. I know too many.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote