Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Don't you mean "bye bye"?
I have been really BUYing. In contrast to posters who are accumulating and buying with fresh dough (good for them), my wife already ER'ed and I have recently resumed some part-time work (both W2 and 1099) to get some income to stem the drawing from our investment.

If I have any cash leftover from this income to buy stocks, this fresh money is minuscule compared to the portfolio size. Since Oct 2007, it has shrunk by about 8 to 10 years of living expenses. I still have about 20-25 years left (Our expenses are highly variable, due to kids still in college and our own whimsical foreign travels).

The main thing is that the income allows me the courage to go to a more aggressive allocation. Hence, buy, buy, buy.

I also looked at my own performance vs. the indices. Year to date, I roughly match the Nasdaq, and beat the Dow and the S&P. Out of the 58% that is in equities, I have about 2/5 in mutual funds, and 3/5 in my own stock picks. I do have some tech stocks, but that's not my concentration.

NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Down 13% for Q1 2009. Not too bad considering 100% equities and the total US market and total international market indexes were down 11% and 13% respectively over the same time period.

My portfolio leans heavily on small and value and international, with a huge helping of REITS (10%) and Emerging Markets (9% target, currently at 11%). Many components of the portfolio are highly volatile, but since they are not 100% correlated, the overall volatility is lessened. And hopefully this mix will produce higher long term returns.

FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote