Join Early Retirement Today

Question about applying for Medicare online
Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Question about applying for Medicare online

I'll be 65 on October 29 so I will start on Medicare Oct 1 2018..

I thought from some of my reading I could apply 3 months before the month I turn 65. I will be applying on my DH record. I am also a US citizen born abroad due to my Dad being US army...

I went online and went thru the application with no problem until I clicked the apply for Medicare only and it told I was eligible to apply for retirement bennies but not Medicare they offered no explanation.

Does this mean I need to wait until July 29 before I can do an application for Medicare only? I could start playing phone tag with them, but thought I ask you folks first.

ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

You should have been able to apply starting July 1 (three months before the beginning of the month you turn 65), so far as I know -- that's what I did, and it worked for me. I'm not sure about the "applying on (your) DH record" part though, as I was applying on my own. Does Medicare, like SS, require a certain contribution record for eligibility? I didn't think so, but ...?

Old 07-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
Administrator

DW applied for Medicare only based on my record. We couldn't do it over the phone, had to go to the local SS office to apply in person. They asked for proof of marriage for her.

Hope you have better luck and can do it over the phone. No reason to wait, you should be able to do it now.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #4

But it did say I could continue my application if I wanted to just apply for retirement benefits. Just thought I'd try to clarify some things before I call.

I don't think they actually ran my SS number because I hadn't submitted the application yet.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
DW applied for Medicare only based on my record. We couldn't do it over the phone, had to go to the local SS office to apply in person. They asked for proof of marriage for her.

Hope you have better luck and can do it over the phone. No reason to wait, you should be able to do it now.
That's what I wanted to know...Thanks.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I looked it up, and now I get that you or your spouse must have worked the same "40 quarters" as for SS to get Medicare Part A for free, but otherwise anyone who's a U.S. citizen or permanent resident for 5 years can get Part A and pay for it (or at least that's how I read it). Still don't understand the response you got. Could you have misunderstood the government-ese in the response?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #7

Holy Moly after spending all morning on the phone. The problem is a combination of being born a US citizen in a foreign country and collecting a spousal.

I need to have a appointment...I've called about the two local ( 60 miles away) offices and was offered 2 options a phone appt in late August, which won't really help me and an in person appt the first one open in August 20 in the big regional office.

With my needing Medicare on Oct 1, would you wait for the appt or drive the 60 miles on an early Tuesday, Wednesday towards the end of the month and try to do a walk in ..
Old 07-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I had to visit my local SS office numerous times due to SS fraud. I never could get an appointment. I suggest go Tuesday or Thursday without an appointment (my office was closed Wednesdays), try to get there 30 minutes before opening time so you will be at the front of the line. Take something to read and be prepared to wait a while. They will eventually see you. Be sure to take all the necessary paperwork.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #9

I'm just wondering if anyone thinks the August 20 date is cutting it too close techinally it's still over 60 days before my birthday.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Holy Moly after spending all morning on the phone. The problem is a combination of being born a US citizen in a foreign country and collecting a spousal.

I need to have a appointment...I've called about the two local ( 60 miles away) offices and was offered 2 options a phone appt in late August, which won't really help me and an in person appt the first one open in August 20 in the big regional office.

With my needing Medicare on Oct 1, would you wait for the appt or drive the 60 miles on an early Tuesday, Wednesday towards the end of the month and try to do a walk in ..
That sucks. We had similar issues (DW is a naturalized citizen, eligibility based on my work record) but at least the SS office was closer. We went without an appointment, which meant about a 45-60 minute wait. Once we got to the clerk, everything went smoothly. We chose the "walk-in" because I wanted to be sure there was enough time for a "plan B" if some issue came up. It didn't, but you never know. Hopefully they were clear regarding what documentation you need to provide.

You can take the office appointment, then go for a walk-in, and use the appointment if you need to return.

I helped my brother get his SS and Medicare, and we also did a walk-in, and waited about the same amount of time. The process went smoothly for him as well. I'm going to apply in a couple of months and will walk in, no appointment.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #11

WOW! And we live in America does these things have to be so complicated for people. There has to be a better check and balance and or system then what we have. I do understand fraud etc. but >>>>.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Your birthday isn't really the point, since you'll want coverage to start October 1. IIRC, the paperwork took about a month to all go through (Medicare card in hand, etc.), so you "should" be OK, but ...
Old 07-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Your birthday isn't really the point, since you'll want coverage to start October 1. IIRC, the paperwork took about a month to all go through (Medicare card in hand, etc.), so you "should" be OK, but ...
It's the language in the medicare verbiage... it uses One before you turn 65, two months before you turn 65 and the month you turn 65, it's never mentions the first day of the month you turn 65 FWIW, we are leaning towards just doing a walk in and signing both myself and my spouse up SS...he will be 70 in January and since we won't have very large bennies we are thinking about locking in the hold harmless particularly on my check which will be quite small.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone thinks the August 20 date is cutting it too close techinally it's still over 60 days before my birthday.

I think you will be fine with an August date. You have 3 months before your birthday month, your birthday month and three months after your birthday month, so 7 months in total to get signed up.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
WOW! And we live in America does these things have to be so complicated for people. There has to be a better check and balance and or system then what we have. I do understand fraud etc. but >>>>.
Part of the issue I think is that marriage records are state based, not a Fed record. But no reason to think government isn't complicated.
gerntz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Your coverage will start on the first day of your birthday month if you have signed up before then. Of course, it really doesn't matter until the first time you need a doctor or other provider, but if you're like me, you will want to be able to cancel your pre-Medicare insurance plan as soon as possible.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Part of the issue I think is that marriage records are state based, not a Fed record. But no reason to think government isn't complicated.
Well you'd think 45 years of joint filing tax returns as married would mean something too..I've also has a US passport since before I was 2 years old, but why make things easy.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Your coverage will start on the first day of your birthday month if you have signed up before then. Of course, it really doesn't matter until the first time you need a doctor or other provider, but if you're like me, you will want to be able to cancel your pre-Medicare insurance plan as soon as possible.
I have to cancel that anyway as it's an individual ACA exchange plan and I wouldn't get cost share money or for that matter coverage anyway.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I think you will be fine with an August date. You have 3 months before your birthday month, your birthday month and three months after your birthday month, so 7 months in total to get signed up.
technically yes but who wants a gap in HI coverage, I don't luckily I usually do things like this sooner rather then later so I'm confident it will get sorted in a timely manner.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I took early SS at age 62. When I turned 65, Medicare A and B were automatic. I didn't have to do a thing !

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote