Join Early Retirement Today

Question about fees
Old 01-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Question about fees

I notified my financial advisor that I am moving funds to Vanguard. The response was:

"you will pay "transfer out" fees & will also pay fees at Vanguard outside of your 403B that are comparable to your fees here..."

Before I ask her, does anybody know what "transfer out" fees would be and what other fees at Vanguard I should be aware of? I am going on a compatison of the Expense Ratios for the VG funds as opposed to those at ML. Thanks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Question about fees
Old 01-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some mutual funds have a "contingent deferred sales charge" or CDSC which is sometimes called a backend load.

Many brokerage accounts have a "account closure" fee.

Many 403(b)s are in annuities and these often have early surrender charges.
http://www.iii.org/individuals/annui...erfriendly=yes

We've never been charged a fee at Vanguard that I am aware of, but we are well over any minimums needed to avoid fees in IRAs.* Vanguard has a fee schedule on their web site for IRAs: http://flagship3.vanguard.com/VGApp/...eesContent.jsp

The transfer out fee could simply be a wire transfer fee. Make sure you pay it once and not for each individual account. I think even Vanguard charges for wire transfers. I guess you could get a check and it should cost less, but who knows?

Old 01-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most 403b's charge a percentage of assets to take your money out. In other words, we cant overcharge you for poor fund offerings anymore, so we're going to make sure we can get a little more skin off of you before you go.

The rollover to vanguard, if over the fund minimums, usually $3000, has no "other" costs outside of the very low expense fees listed on each fund.

When my wife leaves her job, I will roll her 403b out of the Lincoln account its in now directly to vanguard without hesitation. Even if it costs me as much as 5% of assets to do it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooch
Before I ask her, does anybody know what "transfer out" fees would be and what other fees at Vanguard I should be aware of? I am going on a compatison of the Expense Ratios for the VG funds as opposed to those at ML. Thanks.
Vanguard does charge $15/year "custodial fee" for each fund in the 403(b). This is in addition to any Low Balance fees (if the fund has less than $2500??) and Index fund account maintenance fee (if the fund has less than $10k in it). The fees can quickly add up if you have a small 403(b) or many funds with low balances.