Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It seems to me you are on the way.

It can be a little hard to decode Internet posts - remember, we are all sitting in places like Amarillo.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
My guess would be that it counts towards the RMD in that the alternative was for the OP to pay it separately from after-tax funds. Actually, now that I think of it, it may really be more of a question for Schwab (how they will report the fee to the IRS) than for Vanguard.
Actually not a question for Schwab. They would have charged the fee whether there was going to be a forthcoming RMD or not. It's a question for the IRS. The IRS wants to see two things: (1) The IRA value as of the preceding EOY. (2) That an RMD was taken that's at least as much as the formula requires. The fact that a fee was taken for the xfer is of no concern to them.

My guess is that the xfer fee will not count towards the RMD just as any other possible account fees (some institutions charge annual IRA account maintenance fees), commissions, trading fees, etc., do not count toward RMD's.

But I'm no CPA. And the safe thing to do is assume the $50 does not count towards the RMD. We're talking very little money here.......... Maybe someone that actually knows will comment.........

"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
In case anybody is interested, I contacted Schwab. Schwab says the cashing out of the Inherited ROTH IRA satisfies 100% of RMD's for the ROTH, but cannot be counted towards the Inherited IRA. I still have to calculate/take the full RMD's on the balance as of 12-31-2013 before 12-31-2014. Also, the $50 does not count toward the RMD.

Thanks for all the input.

And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote