Join Early Retirement Today
Question About Usign Multiple Fund Families
Old 11-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
Question About Usign Multiple Fund Families

Hello Everyone!

After lurking about these forums and the Boglehead forum I have decided to take the plunge and redo my asset allocation more in line with the "Buy and Hold" strategists.

My question is: is there any value into splitting my portfolio amoung more than one fund family. Currently, I have my tax-deferred funds with T. Rowe Price and my taxable funds with Vanguard.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

potto0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
potto, welcome.

Many here have funds with more than one company, and that occurs for a variety of reasons including the fact that you may start savings in one company but you j*b may only offer investment opportunities with different companies. Your situation is a case in point. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with this approach, as long as you look at your investments as a whole and develop your allocations accordingly.

On the other hand, the benefits of one company is that it can be easier to keep track of your investments, and once your investments are sufficiently large, if consolidated, you can get better rates/fees with a larger single investment than from smaller investments in multiple locations.

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yes it makes sense.

Most of my choice accounts are with T Rowe Price. My Roth and rollovers in particular. They have a good, broad funds- for example Diversified Mid Cap Growth or Doversified Small Cap Growth. My AA is 15% assigned to each (15% mid cap and 15% small cap).

My next move is to find an aggressive fund in each space to turbocharge returns (10% to diversified fund and 5% to concentrated fund), then rebalance within that space as needed.

T Rowe does not have aggressive funds like these, so I will be using other MF holders or a brokerage to purchase them.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. One person's stupidity is another person's job security.
jIMOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Single fund family: easy for you to monitor

Multiple fund families: noone is good at all things, and if you want options, you have to go outside to get them........noone has all the good strategies or managers........
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote