Join Early Retirement Today

question on CD ladders
Old 07-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #1

question on CD ladders

Several years ago we put together a CD ladder. One of our CD's is about to mature. It was a 2 yr CD and the rate was around 5%. According to how CD ladders work, we are supposed to now convert this to a 5 year, so that eventually we have rolling 5 year CD's.

Well, current rate on a 5 yr is 3.75%. Hard to lock in for 5 years at that rate. Yet, this is how CD ladders are supposed to work, right Should we just bite the bullet and transition it to a 5 year, or wait for rates to improve again?

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Several years ago we put together a CD ladder. One of our CD's is about to mature. It was a 2 yr CD and the rate was around 5%. According to how CD ladders work, we are supposed to now convert this to a 5 year, so that eventually we have rolling 5 year CD's.

Well, current rate on a 5 yr is 3.75%. Hard to lock in for 5 years at that rate. Yet, this is how CD ladders are supposed to work, right Should we just bite the bullet and transition it to a 5 year, or wait for rates to improve again?
I think that is how they are supposed to work, yes. I guess the idea is that your overall rate is the result of the rates of all the different CD's in your ladder. So, it's not going to decrease the overall rate as much as it seems. So, as an impartial observer I would say to go ahead and bite the bullet.

Now if it was mine, I would probably be asking the same questions. It's a tough call, but probably you should do it. It's better than a 2% money market rate, or less than 1% in some FDIC insured savings accounts at banks.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
From a previous thread.....
Old 07-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From a previous thread.....

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ase-36574.html

Although not specifically discussed on the older thread, one way to deal with low prevailing interest rates at maturity would be to buy a shorter term CD (e.g. 1 year) with the proceeds of the maturing one, in the hope that next year, rates would be up when it matured. Then you could lock those rates in for the remainder of the 5 years.

Of course, rates could still go down.....

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Simple Girl, You might want to check here daily to see what is available http://www.bankingmyway.com/
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post

You can get 4.6% on a 5 year CD at Pentagon Federal Credit Union (www.penfed.org). For a nominal fee ($13) you can gain membership by joining a military support organization if you are not otherwise in their traditional field of membership as defined by federal regulations. Pentagon Federal Credit Union is fully insured by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) which is comparable to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). Both are backed by the US government - the primary difference is NCUA covers federally insured credit unions and FDIC covers banks.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Simplegirl, I just checked Bankrate.com and there are several 5 year CD's yielding 5% APR or slightly over. These are with banks rated 4 or 5 stars out of a possible 5 stars for soundness.

I have a PenFed credit card and love the cash rebates.
outtarentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
You can get 4.6% on a 5 year CD at Pentagon Federal Credit Union (www.penfed.org). For a nominal fee ($13) you can gain membership by joining a military support organization if you are not otherwise in their traditional field of membership as defined by federal regulations. Pentagon Federal Credit Union is fully insured by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) which is comparable to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). Both are backed by the US government - the primary difference is NCUA covers federally insured credit unions and FDIC covers banks.

Thanks everyone. I do have 2 CD's with Pen Fed already, however I hadn't taken the time to look into their current rates yet. I had just looked at the rates for rolling it over with our original bank. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Old 07-28-2008, 06:14 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

5% APY here at Capital One 5 Year - higher rates for longer periods. Optionally, at Capital One, you can either reinvest interest or have it paid to you monthly. Also the penalty at Capital One on long term CD is 6 month interest vs PFCU's 12 month penalty. I have CD's a PFCU and Capital One among others.

BTW my personal ladder goes out about 7 years, mainly because of Capital One having 7 and 10 year CD's.

Also, I do not know what the terms are at your bank but if it has been within their allowed period to withdraw without penalty you may want to move the money (or alternatively ask them to match the Capital One rate; answer will probably no but you will not know until you ask the question).

Capital One Direct Banking: Certificates of Deposit - Rates
Old 07-28-2008, 06:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
5% APY here at Capital One 5 Year - higher rates for longer periods. Optionally, at Capital One, you can either reinvest interest or have it paid to you monthly. Also the penalty at Capital One on long term CD is 6 month interest vs PFCU's 12 month penalty. I have CD's a PFCU and Capital One among others.

BTW my personal ladder goes out about 7 years, mainly because of Capital One having 7 and 10 year CD's.

Also, I do not know what the terms are at your bank but if it has been within their allowed period to withdraw without penalty you may want to move the money (or alternatively ask them to match the Capital One rate; answer will probably no but you will not know until you ask the question).

Capital One Direct Banking: Certificates of Deposit - Rates
Thanks, I will look into that, too!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

CD Thread, Post The Best Rates You Can Find Here!

Shows:

https://savings.eloan.com/savings

5 year @ 5.25%.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

On a more generic note about the CD ladder, I would generally shop around for the best APY and bite the bullet. Again, there is no reason to presume that they can't go down any further, and your effective APY on all of your money is just the average of all of your CDs. Thus, as you are setting up your CD ladder, when next year's expires, if the rates go up, you can roll it into a better APY. True, if you had waited on the other funds, you would have a better APY, but you miss one year of better than average returns and have no guarantee that they will go up.

By the way, I do think they are going to go up by 6-8 months from now.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a Vanguard brokerage account to facilitate buying brokered CDs. 5 year CDs there are currently around 5%.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I go to BankRate.com when ever I need at get a CD. They rate the bank as well which is nice considering your $ will be sitting their for 5 years.

http://bankrate.com/brm/rate/high_ra...duct=19&sort=2

Best current rate is 5.12% apy @ Discover Bank.

Have fun!