Question Concerning SS Benefits & Returning to Work

fredberry

Dryer sheet wannabe
My wife and I filed for social security benefits last year when I was 62 and she was 65. Because my wife had not earned enough credits prior to filing, her benefit had to be based on my record. I am now looking to return to work full time at age 63 with the consequence that, based on earned income, I will no longer qualify for benefit payments until I either stop working or reach age 66, whichever comes first. My wife is now 66 and has reached full retirement age. Will she continue to qualify for and therefore receive her benefit regardless of whether I go back to work?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

My wife and I filed for social security benefits last year when I was 62 and she was 65. Because my wife had not earned enough credits prior to filing, her benefit had to be based on my record. I am now looking to return to work full time at age 63 with the consequence that, based on earned income, I will no longer qualify for benefit payments until I either stop working or reach age 66, whichever comes first. My wife is now 66 and has reached full retirement age. Will she continue to qualify for and therefore receive her benefit regardless of whether I go back to work?

Thanks in advance.

Fred
I'm pretty sure she will but check here to be sure.

Social Security Online - The Official Website of the U.S. Social Security Administration

This article seems to address your situation. In your case, you have done the "file", so would need to do the "suspend".

In reality, you are still collecting SS, you just don't receive anything because your work income offsets it. Under SS rules, they make up what you lost by working when you finally stop working. They do this with a higher monthly benefit. I don't recall how long it takes to get all the lost money back.

Back
Top Bottom