Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Question for Dory36 on FIRECalc
Old 03-05-2004, 02:30 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Dory, I agree with the intent behind your statement that the tips rate is ignored for all except tips investments, but if I run the above scenerio with 30 year treasuries, and with 0 in the tips box, I get:

You have proposed a withdrawal of 14.55% of your starting portfolio.

We looked at the 96 possible 35 year periods from 1871 until 2002, and the 35 partial periods from 1967 until 2002, starting with a portfolio of $330,000 and taking out $48,000 the first year, and the same amount after adjustments for inflation (PPI) each year except as follows:

Your Success Rate is 100.0%
In 100.0% of the years, the portfolio would have maintained a positive balance through the withdrawal in year 35.

The average (mean) portfolio balance following the withdrawal in year 35 was $2,844,170.

(This assumes your portfolio consists of 80% in 30 Year Treasuries and 20% in equities that behave like the market as a whole, with an overall expense ratio of 0.18%.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
and with 10 in the tips box I get:

We looked at the 96 possible 35 year periods from 1871 until 2002, and the 35 partial periods from 1967 until 2002, starting with a portfolio of $330,000 and taking out $48,000 the first year, and the same amount after adjustments for inflation (PPI) each year except as follows:

In 100.0% of the years, the portfolio would have maintained a positive balance through the withdrawal in year 35.

The average (mean) portfolio balance following the withdrawal in year 35 was $3,908,531.

(This assumes your portfolio consists of 80% in 30 Year Treasuries and 20% in equities that behave like the market as a whole, with an overall expense ratio of 0.18%.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
and with 80 in the tips box I get:

The average (mean) portfolio balance following the withdrawal in year 35 was $2,889,998,211.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I think Dogcliff has uncovered something! You can see that firecalc agrees 30 year treasuries were selected in the output!

Wayne

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2004, 03:37 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wayne, you're right! I ran my numbers again. Changing the yield in the TIPS field changes the output - even if you tell FIRECalc there are no TIPS in the portfolio! Dogcliff is on to something.

Old 03-06-2004, 03:46 AM   #23
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Yikes! You are right! You have discovered a bug that has been lurking a long time. OK, everybody who has retired, you go back to work, right away! *

Here is what I found:

First, most prior calculations should have still been pretty close to the mark, as you'd only see the problem creep in to a significant degree if you select Treasuries as your investment choice, and you typed in an unrealistic TIPS coupon, as was done accidently by Dogcliff and then illustrated by wzd.

The effect of the bug is that during the years when there were no such thing as 5 or 30 year Treasuries, Firecalc used theoretical TIPS returns as a substitute (for those years only). Since all these interest rates track each other fairly closely, the impact would only be dramatic with unrealistic entries in the TIPS coupon box. But obviously no one would bother insuring that vaue is realistic when they are using Treasuries as a choice of fixed income investment.

(TIPS are a recent option, but their return is theoretically predictable from other known values plus a user-entered coupon, thanks to Intercst's work. So the older TIPS returns are what TIPS would have returned if there were such things as TIPS back then.)

I have changed it now, to use Commercial Paper as a substitute for Treasuries for those years before Treasuries existed.

Dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 04:42 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dory36

Not to worry. Back in 93, no computer at home, plenty of dryer sheets, and no work. Actually used TABLES IN A BOOK! 6-8% was considered a doable range back then(?Vanguard if memory serves?).

Debug on Dory but remember its only second to ER - your primary mission or did you give up mission statements when you left work. I threw mine the same place my Daytimer went.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:03 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Joy...finally a Doglliffproof calculator. Thanksall...

dc