Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
80%+ of the stuff on your blog is good, LBYM, invest in equities, don't mistake your house for an investment strategy etc.
True, your blog contains a lot of very good advice. As clifp points out it also contains advice many of us here might think questionable and worthy of a discussion from those who see things from a different perspective.

Others have said basically the same thing, but it appears to me that you have a lot of experience speaking to an audience who has little if any understanding of finances and investing (think the equivalent financial knowledge of your average HS senior). When you began posting here it looks like you weren't aware you were addressing a much different audience (think the financial knowledge of an average college graduate who took courses in finance...and many here well above that). Add to that years and years of real world investing experience and you will hopefully begin to get the idea that even someone relatively savvy in the financial world such as yourself might be able to learn a thing or two from some of these discussions.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionaireMommyNextDoor View Post
I'd never suggest that anyone put 100% of their money in an S&P 500 fund and let it ride. Not enough diversification. Diversification reduces volatility and increases ROI. I am invested 100% in equities, but I spread my portfolio around (diversify) to include 18-20 different no-load mutual funds and ETFs. IMO, placing all eggs in one basket is gambling.
I think you're talking about deworsification, not diversification. You can easily get adequate equity diversification in two or three ETFs ... 18-20 just unnecessarily complicates things.

If the S&P 500 isn't broad enough for you, consider the Vanguard Total Stock Market Viper. For international expsoure, use something like the iShares MSCI EAFE Index Fund and/or the iShares S&P Latin America 40 Index Fund.

Those are just examples. There are many good choices available; but that doesn't mean you gain anything by owning all of them!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

REWahoo,

Good point. Kind of like the star high school student who goes to MIT and discovers they aren't the smartest kid in class anymore.

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
Old 01-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So this is MIT?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
So this is MIT?
Isn't he running for president?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 01-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
So this is MIT?
Yes. She's the one making TV appearances and writing a book, but we're the geniuses.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Yes. She's the one making TV appearances and writing a book, but we're the geniuses.
So I'll ask a dumb question..........what took her so long to get here, it's not like we're hiding or anything...........

And, to follow it up, since most people on here are on their way to FIRE, there might be a bigger audience that could benefit more, like most kids on MySpace.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 01-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #68

Fellow mommy, just know that you have to be able to back up your claims and be ready for challenges to your assumptions. As someone who is used to being the one in the "know" and offering advice, perhaps it's hard for you to swallow that you may not be making the most well thought out choices, or worse, leading others down the waterfall with you.

Folks here are quite nice, grumpy, inquisitive - but most of all don't stand for BS...You have to be able to back up your claims/info w/ DATA and/or pretty sound logic. It doesn't even have to be about money - everything is under the microscope (just do a search for "milk" and you'll see...)

People disagree here ALL THE TIME! so it's not about not thinking a certain way, but respecting where others come from and balancing/backing your own claims. Some of us even admit when we learn something or were wrong once in a while too.

If all else fails, the boyz here are easily distracted by naughty pictures, or even the suggestion of them ... or beer.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
You have to be able to back up your claims/info w/ DATA and/or pretty sound logic.
Puhleease. She's stated her assumptions, and people are arguing that their assumptions are better than her assumptions.

They are all assumptions. As long as you state them up front, people can take them or leave them at face value.

I sincerely doubt that the "experts" here know any better than she does about the "correct" forward return rate, the "correct" allocation to stocks, or the "correct" number of mutual funds to provide diversification.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
She's the one making TV appearances and writing a book
So is Britney Spears' mother, but I think I'll take a pass on following her child rearing philosophy.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
So is Britney Spears' mother, but I think I'll take a pass on following her child rearing philosophy.
I didn't mean that her advice was good, just that she's finding fame and fortune, while we're sitting in our underwear arguing on an internet forum.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #72

Quote:
Puhleease. She's stated her assumptions, and people are arguing that their assumptions are better than her assumptions.

They are all assumptions. As long as you state them up front, people can take them or leave them at face value.

I sincerely doubt that the "experts" here know any better than she does about the "correct" forward return rate, the "correct" allocation to stocks, or the "correct" number of mutual funds to provide diversification.
hey, I said and/or sound logic

I think a few people have at least countered that some of her assumptions/logic are a bit faulty... and nobody said "correct vs. incorrect" but more often "unsafe vs. safe" particularly planning on 10% return.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I didn't mean that her advice was good, just that she's finding fame and fortune, while we're sitting in our underware arguing on an internet forum.
So, are you thinking about your chances of finding fame and fortune in your underware/wear?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
So, are you thinking about your chances of finding fame and fortune in your underware/wear?
Does the police blotter count?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 01-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

did some one say beer?

t.r.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I didn't mean that her advice was good, just that she's finding fame and fortune, while we're sitting in our underwear arguing on an internet forum.
Damn..... did I leave my camera turned on again? Sorry. I know it's not a pretty sight.....
Old 01-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #77

MMND, If nothing else, thanks for revving up the gang here. I think you'll agree that this is a very opinionated, vocal group of folks -- some of whom are college professors, economists, certified financial planners, other professionals -- who give as good as (or better) than they get. Don't take any of this personal and I hope you'll stick around to add your own spice to this interesting melange.

FWIW, I am female and both my father and brother are master plumbers. I've learned volumes from my fellow posters here.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #78

What huh you all bother wearing underwear while posting. Pffft
Old 01-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
MMND.... NOBODY that I know of that has any real training in portfolio analysis would be in equities 100%... and nobody would use a 10% rate of return for their calculations. Can you get 10%... why yes... but I would not bet my future on that kind of return...
I'm not sure what qualifies for "real training in portfolio analysis".

My retirement funds are 100% equities.

I actually don't use 10%; I use 10.7%, which is the CAGR for the SP500 from the Ibbotson study of stock returns from 1926 or so to the present.

My rule of thumb for what I use for planning purposes is the average over the longest period of time from the most authoritative source I can find. I know there are many folks, including famous smart people, projecting lower rates of return on stocks going forward; I disagree with them.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Okay i'm confused now, so help me out. Which is better?

And whats this "underwear" thing you speak of?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Closed Thread