Join Early Retirement Today

Question for those planning to dump extra cash into the market when we hit "bottom"
Old 10-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Question for those planning to dump extra cash into the market when we hit "bottom"

Even though you may not be able to time the bottom, I've heard some folks mention that they're planning to put in extra cash. My question is, what are you putting it into? Individual stocks, mutual funds, ETFs? Something you already own, or something new?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I put in some extra cash yesterday, and will do so again as money continues to come in. And I'll probably shift more from bonds to stocks. Not looking for "The Bottom", but I'm comfortable buying now.

And I'm continuing to add to my existing Total Stock Market funds, and several other Vanguard offerings: Value Index, Small Cap Value Index, Total International, etc.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I will simply rebalance using the funds in my 401(k). That means I will most likely buy the S&P500 index fund.

You shouldn't have to think about what to buy since you have an asset allocation plan, right?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i'm buying vanguard total stock market index and total international ...
Old 10-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

ETFs and low-cost medium-conservative managed funds.

Most important aspect is not needing the cash for at least 5 years.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompoundInterestFan View Post
Even though you may not be able to time the bottom, I've heard some folks mention that they're planning to put in extra cash. My question is, what are you putting it into? Individual stocks, mutual funds, ETFs? Something you already own, or something new?
Existing holdings along with rebalancing. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to go after individual stocks though... GE is looking darn attractive right now.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #7

The same equity investments I already hold:
- Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
- Vanguard Total Int'l Stock Market Index

I am not trying to find the needle in the haystack, I'm just buying the haystack. Of course, the haystack is going up in flames, but I am a man of principle.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #8

Adding to total stock market index in tax deferred accounts......swapping ETFs in taxable account to lock in some tax losses.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
Administrator

I have been (manually) DCA'ing into the market on the 14th of every month, since February, in my taxable Vanguard account.

When I do that, I follow my investment plan as "LOL!" suggests. So, it will go into a couple of very broad Vanguard index funds.

If the market drops another 1000 points between now and Tuesday, I might not have the courage to stick with my plan. I hope that I do, but to be honest I really don't know. I will do whatever seems best to me on Tuesday.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
You shouldn't have to think about what to buy since you have an asset allocation plan, right?
I do, but given that it's such an extraordinary event, I was toying around with doing something extra (e.g., buying individual stocks) in addition to putting more money into my current funds. Maybe I'm just being greedy, but I have this "once-in-a-lifetime-so-don't-screw-it-up" feeling.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompoundInterestFan View Post
I do, but given that it's such an extraordinary event, I was toying around with doing something extra (e.g., buying individual stocks) in addition to putting more money into my current funds. Maybe I'm just being greedy, but I have this "once-in-a-lifetime-so-don't-screw-it-up" feeling.
A lot of the books I have been reading say that you don't have to get the great returns to do better than most investors - - and in fact they make a very good case that if you just do as well as the Dow or S&P, you'll actually do better than most. Apparently greed is the downfall of a lot of people. Great returns often come with great risk. And so on...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
if you just do as well as the Dow or S&P
I don't think too many people find that comforting now...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #13

I'm gently buying regional bank stocks that were pre-hit last year. Oh, and AIG. I'm not willing to throw any serious money back in yet. JMO
Old 10-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #14

Continuing to put into 401(k) and taxable accounts in my normal allocation and funds, plus I'll be re-balancing as usual in January.

I just used the portfolio analyzer on Vanguard that tells me for my current mix the worst year historically was -17% in 1931 and the best was 25.5% in 1933.

ytd I am at -19% (as of yesterday's close)
Old 10-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #15

I'm currently investing in real estate since I had zero allocated to that sector for a while.

I'm putting some new money in current mutual funds I own.

And for play money, I had also purchased Citi a few weeks ago at 15 or 16, sold it at 22 and made a few thousand in cap gains, and I just bought in again in the low teens. I'm expecting them to cut the dividends a bit, but right now I am comfortable with it and understand the risk, or at least my risk.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I just picked up 1500 shares of AEE - Ameren - a stodgy old public utility now yielding 9.4%.

If I had confidence, which I don't, I would have stuck the whole stash in there. Lets see, 1 mil x .094 = $94,000 a year at a dividend tax rate...not bad. Take your 4% and you still have 5.4% to cover inflation.

I think my 40k investment is just about what I can stomach in these times...
Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

It's like trying to put your finger in the dyke to be in there trying to help reverse the trend. Frankly, I think it's almost patriotic to buy now.

My plan was (and still is) to put earmarked cash into equities regardless of where the benchmarks are. Sixty percent of my earmarked cash is ready to go; the other forty percent went in Monday. But I'm struggling with the whens and the lump sums vs. DCA.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
The same equity investments I already hold:
- Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
- Vanguard Total Int'l Stock Market Index

I am not trying to find the needle in the haystack, I'm just buying the haystack. Of course, the haystack is going up in flames, but I am a man of principle.
As opposed to a man of principal....
Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post

ouch
Old 10-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
I was hoping someone would say that.