Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I feel there is more anti-government sentiment on these threads now than there was last year.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #22

Don't know if this is true for others but my primary issues with the coming tax increases is that I don't anticipate any advantage to ME from them. I already have health care - it was part of the reason I got a lower salary than some, I saved for my retirement (and paid lots of taxes in the process - and will pay a lot more when I cash in IRAs/401(k), I don't want any more "services" from the government, I don't want to bail out every Dick, Tom and Beatrice for their stupid mistakes, I paid my mortgage(s) on time and don't want to pay someone else's, I lived below my means so that I could have something in my old age to live on and I don't like the idea of being called "rich" because I did so, etc.

Some could argue (and will, no doubt, if not here, then in congress) that I had it good, so now it's time for me to feel some (well, actually MORE) pain at tax time. Good argument, if you're the one who will get my tax money handed to you on a platter. Not so good if you have to pay more than you used to so it CAN be handed to someone else.

Call it class envy or class warfare. It doesn't really matter. Any system that continually requires a larger share of GDP (yes, I know, it does go up and down, but the long-term trend is always up) is bound to upset those who end up paying. Since you have to have something to pay something - guess who gets to pay most of the new taxes. Those (in our case, the retirement community) who did all the "right" things (you know - like LBYM, save, do without, make do, etc. etc.). Now I strongly suspect the 50% who don't pay taxes will be trying to take even more from us who've always paid taxes.

I know there are arguments on all sides of this issue, but the OP's question was about why so many tax threads and the angrier tone. Anytime someone takes something away from you without your permission, I would say most folks DO get a bit angry about it. I'm all for charity and helping those with less than they can survive on, but I'd like to choose who I help and not have someone else choose who I must "donate" to.

I suppose tax time is one motivator to discuss these issues, but many other news items in the last year or so ("free" health-care, VAT taxes, Tim Guitner cheating on taxes, etc., etc.) might also have something to do with it. I consider this apolitical, because all politicians pander to those with their hands out. Just my opinion, of course and, of course YMMV.

But I'm not bitter!

Hey, how about those Blue Devils?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

@Koolau: I also don't want to bail out people that got in over their head with mortgages and such, but I guess the theory is it would be even worse if I did not due to complete economic collapse. Maybe so, maybe not, I am not smart enough to figure that one out but I suppose it's possible.

As for paying more for healthcare, I think this would benefit us if nothing else by just being a more just and civilized system which will be less like a wild west and more uniform in who gets covered and by how much.

I like the ideas of anyone being able to afford the same coverage as a senator, inability of insurance not to renew your contract once you get diagnosed with cancer, closing up things like Medicare coverage gaps (and I have a very long way to go before it reaches me), let alone insuring many people who can only go to ERs today to get some healthcare.

I remember having to effectively take a second job when taking care of a relative with a terminal desease. The "job" was the negotiating every week between overcharging hospital and individual labs due to their billing mistakes, and separately an insurance company not willing to pay for something they were supposed to.. and this was going on on a constant basis. The patient, or in this case someone like me acting on their behalf, always ends up in the middle trying to figure out what went wrong, where was the miscommunication between the giant companies, how to resolve old mistakes that pile up in new bills making it more difficult to explain to the next rep on the line (and who likely barely speaks English), etc... I can't imagine myself being sick and performing all these duties figuring out all the huge bills coming your way because as far as both other sides are concerned you pick up the tab if the other side does not. It was a horrific experience on top of dealing with a desease itself... And I am hoping I won't have to go through this by the time I am old enough... So, I'd rather pay higher taxes (and I will) to try to fix that system than billions & trillions of dollars say on a Bush Iraq war. That's the spending (and not just in monetary terms) that people should be angry about IMO. At least healthcare spending is trying to do something about a broken system. I don't know if it will succeed, but seems like a step in the right direction to me. I'd rather have a public option. I don't believe anyone should be dealing with insurance companies and hospital bills once they are sick. I'd rather pay more in taxes when I am healthy.

Sorry about the rant...
Old 04-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Sorry about the rant...
Don't be sorry. I've been doing quite a few rants myself, lately. I don't particularly disagree with your take on health care. We all know it's broken. I'm just saying that I personally paid for mine already - mostly through lower wages. Now, I will have to subsidize those who chose not to buy health care or work for a company who provided it. Some couldn't help it - some could. Yes, there are many inequities, but it still comes down to the fact that it will cost me for someone else's health care. We could argue all day about whether that is "fair" or not. I just know it wasn't in my retirement budget and I know that it will cost more for the gummint to ration health care "fairly" than it will for some greedy insurance company to do it.

Sorry for the rant... Oooops! We're repeating ourselves.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

There is a strong movement afoot to take things in a more conservative direction. Ryan's proposal to dismantle Medicare is a good start but doesn't go far enough. There is another movement, not public but well funded that is pursuing selling the entire Medicare program to private insurers. This would likely make a significant dent in the deficit as the sales of medicare contracts would likely extract a significant premium over the book value of reserves.