Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99
Total cash flow once paid off will be $10,392/year which includes the management fee and taxes which is a 7.7% return on our money.
Does it also include estimates for vacancy, maintenance, and repairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99
Thanks for everyone's input. A couple of people have asked if we can refinance to a lower rate.

The mortgage is specifically for an 'investment property'. We might could get a slightly lower rate but it wouldn't be low enough to make refi worth it.
Still worth checking in to. We're getting 5.25% right now on our investment properties.

In terms of the original question, one other thing to consider I don't think you mentioned is liquidity. Money invested in equites is a lot easier to liquidate than money in real estate.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
We took out a loan on our home to pay off a loan on some apartments - money owed is money owed, think that's a part of money being fungible. Back then the interest on the apartments was 9% and after a few refis we are at 3.875% on our home.
Good point.! Get the cheapest money from where you can. Congrats on your rate. !

My mortgage is almost paid off. During the high flying days, I got an equity line against it...primarily so that if we wanted to get a 2nd home I could possibly tap that instead of going to a bank.
At that time they gave me prime minus one. The rate is 2.5% and has been for over 3 years since it follows the fed funds rate. I don't ever intend on paying it totally off as I never expect to see a prime minus one offer again .

And I very well may use this "source of funds"...if we do get that second home we are looking at.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote