Quick Question computing AA Percentages
Old 01-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

When my total investments look like this:
37% Equity
53% Bonds
10% Cash (2 Years of Spending Buffer)

Do I say I am in a 37/63 AA? (The % w/ cash included in Bonds)?
Or do I say I am in a 41/59 AA (The % w/o cash included at all)?

(See I bet you were nervous I was about to ask what AA I should have based in just my age and hair color. )
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post

Do I say I am in a 37/63 AA? (The % w/ cash included in Bonds)?
+1

Or you could say 37/53/10 and we would understand. I'm currently at 41/46/13.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think the cash is part of your AA unless you're going to rebalance to keep it that way. In your example, let's say stocks have a great year and now you're 49/49/2. I assume you're going to sell some stocks and buy bonds to get back to your desired AA. But if you're not also going to cash out and get the cash back up to 10%, I wouldn't call that part of your AA. It's just a buffer (which you probably pick based on a dollar value rather than a percentage).
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree with REWahoo, I would personally call it a 37/63 AA, although 37/53/10 works too.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
I agree with REWahoo, I would personally call it a 37/63 AA, although 37/53/10 works too.
+1

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Seems to me it would make sense to add the cash to the bond portion under the notion that it’s part of the “fixed income” part of your stash.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks! I like the 37/53/10 style.
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #8

37/53/10 is most specific, and it tells us your cash %. It's what I use because cash is part of my bucket approach.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Probably the most interesting chunk is 37. That reflects how aggressive the portfolio is. The rest is your personal taste in breakdown. If the cash is a spending buffer, it could be moved out of a retirement plan, as you point out (41% in stocks).

Old 01-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The word "cash" gets thrown around a lot in these discussions without being defined. Literally, of course, it is banknotes but nobody here uses the word that way.

I just dumped a floating rate fund (SAMBX) that I considered to be "cash" but a majority might not agree with that. I just bought some TIPS with 1/15/21 maturity; I consider those to be close to "cash." I also put some of the proceeds into SWVXX, a money market fund that most would consider to be cash.

So, IMO to state an AA with a separate "cash" component really doesn't mean much until the poster defines what "cash" means in that portfolio.

FWIW, I don't separate out "cash" in my AA thinking because I can't draw a bright line that separates my fixed income holdings into the two piles. YMMV, of course.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
37/53/10 is most specific, and it tells us your cash %. It's what I use because cash is part of my bucket approach.
Same here. Cash is very important to my ACA MAGI.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have an allocation to cash as part of my AA, but I usually report my stock%/fixed income% as I figure that's good enough for sharing on the internet.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:46 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
I don't think the cash is part of your AA ....

Of course it is... cash is just another form of fixed income that is liquid and has low credit risk and low return.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:43 AM   #14

37/63

Cash is part of fixed income.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:05 AM   #15

Whatever floats your boat. Most understand what you mean either way, though specifically calling out cash gives more information since, while both bonds and cash are "fixed" income, they're not the same. Of course that can be taken to extreme with something like TSM/SCV/EM/TBM/Cash :-)
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Of course it is... cash is just another form of fixed income that is liquid and has low credit risk and low return.
Cash can be part of asset allocation, but only if you're going to rebalance to keep its percentage inline, just like you do for other assets. I read OP's post as saying they have 2 years of spending cash set aside, which means they don't intend to rebalance. In that case it's something like an emergency fund: not really part of your assets invested for retirement.
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Nah... what is important is whether it is part of their retirement nestegg, which it is. The OP characterized it as two year spending buffer so it is clearly part of retirement nestegg. Whether OP intends to rebalance to a two year buffer or just use that in their first two years of retirement doesn't matter to whether the cash is included or not... both are sensible strategies.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Nah... what is important is whether it is part of their retirement nestegg, which it is. The OP characterized it as two year spending buffer so it is clearly part of retirement nestegg. Whether OP intends to rebalance to a two year buffer or just use that in their first two years of retirement doesn't matter to whether the cash is included or not... both are sensible strategies.
Yep, this ^. If the cash buffer is maintained by rebalancing, he AA stays. If the cash buffer is depleted over time, the AA changes over time, following the depletion. I don't see how this is so difficult.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If there’s a separate emergency fund then the additional cash would be considered part of the asset allocation. In Quicken terms, the difference is whether it belongs in a spending/savings account or under investments.

[ADDED] Referring to the cash as a “buffer” is what makes it a bit unclear I think. Also, if the cash is in a tax-favored (retirement) account, that would lean toward it being an investment.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Yep, this ^. If the cash buffer is maintained by rebalancing, he AA stays. If the cash buffer is depleted over time, the AA changes over time, following the depletion. I don't see how this is so difficult.
There is "Actual AA," which is like a business balance sheet. It is constantly changing as time moves forward, most notably in forum members' case by spending and by marking assets to market. It's just a calculation.

Then there is "Target AA" for those who have a target.

In our case, our fixed side is a sort of two-part bucket that contains a short-term low risk component that we draw on and a longer-term component that looks farther down the road. Once we have a rough idea of what we want (in $) on the fixed side we can calculate an AA and use the number as a sanity check on the plan. Hence, we really don't have a target AA.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote