Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amazon has a promotion where if I buy Turbotax 2013 Deluxe with State for $49.99, I can get $35 off Quicken 2014 Deluxe. The final purchase price for everything comes to $61.40 before tax, so it looks like I would be getting Quicken for less than $12.00. It seems like it's worth buying the bundle if Quicken is that inexpensive, since I am currently running Quicken 2012 and I know I'm only a year away from losing download support.

However, I have been searching the internet all morning looking for someone who can confirm that Quicken 2014 works well with a Mac running OSX Mavericks and Parallels version 8. I don't really want to spend another $50.00 to upgrade to Parallels 9 since Quicken is the only Windows product I run on my Mac.

Has anyone successfully installed Quicken 2014 on a Mac, and if so, can you let me know what version of OSX and Parallels you are using. As much as I think it's a great deal to get Quicken for less than $12.00, I don't want to wreck a perfectly stable 2012 version just to find out that the product is really buggy and doesn't work properly with the latest version of OSX.

Has anyone out there already gone through this?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #22

Well, I guess not many Mac/Quicken 2014 users here. I went ahead and ordered it. I figured for about $12.00 it's a good investment just to reset the three year clock of internet updates. I think there is a way to create a new virtual windows environment in Parallels and install Quicken there rather than my current working environment. If it doesn't work, I'll just put it away until Intuit gets around to fixing the bugs.

I'm amazed at all of the bad reviews on Amazon for this product. You would think a company with 8,500 employees could update a product that's already been around for 20 years without creating such ill will amongst it's user base.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Try VirtualBox instead of Parallels, it is free.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #24

Well, I installed Quicken 2014 on my Mac this evening, after doing several backups just to be safe. I was expecting the worst after reading all of the complaints. But other than a minor user security issue which required that I reboot Windows, the install went smoothly, and my file, which contains 20 years of data, converted without issue. No crashes or obvious bugs noted yet.

However, I honestly can't see one thing that's different from Q2012, so I'm not sure what I just paid for, other than the right to update for three more years. I'm not complaining, since it only cost me $12.00. I wouldn't be so happy if I paid $47.00 for it though.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #25

Wow! Did I speak too quickly. Now it crashes consistently every 30 seconds. What a piece of garbage. Exactly like the reviews on Amazon. How can Intuit still be selling this software?

Back to 2012...
Old 12-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I am running Quicken 2011 on Mac OSX Mavericks and Parallels 9 / windows 7. I have to upgrade to Quicken 2014 before next April but maybe I'll go manual for a few months and wait for Quicken 2015...
Old 12-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for testing it for us!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Wow! Did I speak too quickly. Now it crashes consistently every 30 seconds. What a piece of garbage. Exactly like the reviews on Amazon. How can Intuit still be selling this software?

Back to 2012...
Captive audience .... where else you going to go. I was a long time MS Money until intuit drove them under.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

On the Mac, I gave up on Quicken, and moved to iBank. I was able to export some 14 years of records and import them into iBank. Some fiddling about was needed to get brokerage records right (change 'Sell' to 'Sell to close', for example, so the silly thing wouldn't think I was going short against the box.) It took maybe two hours, and has pretty much 'just worked' since then. I did have to learn a new set of quirks, retraining some Quicken keystroke shortcuts to the iBank behaviors. That took a couple of weeks.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
On the Mac, I gave up on Quicken, and moved to iBank. I was able to export some 14 years of records and import them into iBank. Some fiddling about was needed to get brokerage records right (change 'Sell' to 'Sell to close', for example, so the silly thing wouldn't think I was going short against the box.) It took maybe two hours, and has pretty much 'just worked' since then. I did have to learn a new set of quirks, retraining some Quicken keystroke shortcuts to the iBank behaviors. That took a couple of weeks.
I went with Moneydance. I transitioned to Quicken from MS Money, so I went through that pain once in the past. For the most part with Moneydance, I started clean, except for adding (manually) investment history. Moneydance doesn't feel as polished, but it's been working well. Plus, it's multi-platform and I don't have to deal with forced upgrades.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #31

Even after I reverted back to Quicken 2012, I could not restore my backup. It kept saying the backup was created by a newer version of Quicken. So I had to go to a several day old backup, which did restore properly, and then reconstruct the missing entries. Long night...

I looked at IBank. The download and conversion of my data went fine and I will play with it over the next 30 days that I have the trial running. At first glance it does not appear nearly as robust as Quicken though. Looking at the specs for Moneydance I think it's probably going to be the same issue.

I am now attempting to create a "cloned" environment of my Windows desktop in Parallels where I can install Quicken 2014 in a test environment and try to figure out why it keeps crashing. I know I'm a glutton for punishment here, but after 20 years with Quicken I'm not quite ready to get divorced yet.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #32

Quote:

Back to 2012...
It's usually a good idea never to purchase any software (Quicken especially) when they first come out with a new release. Let others work the bugs out.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
It's usually a good idea never to purchase any software (Quicken especially) when they first come out with a new release. Let others work the bugs out.
Couldn't agree more, and if I hadn't had the opportunity to buy it for less than $12.00 I'm sure I never would have.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Apparently, Intuit just released a new version of Quicken 2014 that is supposed to solve the crashing issue.

Quicken 2014 Crashes - Quicken Support
Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #35

Hmmm...I reinstalled Quicken 2014 today in my test environment figuring I would be able to reproduce the constant crashing, and then call it in to Intuit. However, it hasn't been crashing all morning. Now I'm wondering, was R4 just loaded this morning? If so, that might explain why it was so buggy last night and now seemingly stable.

It's still not perfect though. I ran several file conversions from 2012 to 2014. The first one worked fine, but the second one failed three times. Shutting down Quicken and restarting it allowed it to succeed, but it indicates this is still buggy software.

It's a good thing I have all this free time on my hands. I didn't realize I was signing up to be a software beta tester!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Apparently, Intuit just released a new version of Quicken 2014 that is supposed to solve the crashing issue.

Quicken 2014 Crashes - Quicken Support
Thanks for the link. I had been running Release 3 with no crashes or other problems ever since I installed it. I am running Windows 7 64 bit operation system.

It is strange that I could not find a control within Quicken to update to R 4. I even shut Quicken down and restarted it but no prompt showed up to update.

The link you provided led to a manual update link.

I was running 2011 version and got the discounted Quicken Premier 2014 when I got the TurboTax.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hmmm...I reinstalled Quicken 2014 today in my test environment figuring I would be able to reproduce the constant crashing, and then call it in to Intuit. However, it hasn't been crashing all morning. Now I'm wondering, was R4 just loaded this morning?
Looks like it...

Quote:
We have addressed the crash issues in Quicken 2014 with the latest Release (R4) as of 12/4/2013.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #38

R4 does indeed seem more stable. No crashes in the past 24 hours. I now have both 2014 and 2012 running in two separate virtual windows environments, and I have both of them up side by side on the same screen. I have gone through the menus one at a time searching for any differences between the two versions. So far the only meaningful difference I see is that 2014 has a mobile interface whereby you can publish your cash and credit accounts to their cloud service and then view them from your phone or tablet.

However, you can not view any investment accounts through the mobile interface, so I see this being of virtually no use for me, as I can already view all of my accounts using either Personal Capital or Mint.

It appears that Intuit has virtually stopped developing Quicken. They have a substantial amount of market share in a product that every household could possibly find useful. I don't understand why they won't modernize this product and expand its usefulness before someone else finds a way to do so.

In any case, I can't see any reason to upgrade to 2014 unless you have lost your ability to get updates over the internet (2011 or earlier).