Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2015, 10:16 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
With financial software, it could be WAY worse than that. No way I'd enter my SSN or passwords into software purchased on a site that was some kind of Chinese gambling site 2 years ago...
Exactly! Not to mention your entire 1040 filed with the IRS (Turbotax), or the list of financial institutions and account numbers you do business with (Quicken).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:34 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Exactly! Not to mention your entire 1040 filed with the IRS (Turbotax), or the list of financial institutions and account numbers you do business with (Quicken).
You better throw out your smart phone and cut your internet cord...

There are hackers everywhere you go. Even factory purchased software has been known to have a virus. The ACA sites had poor security, and have many retailers.

It's a risk no matter what. You have to make a calculated choice, monitor your financial matters, and have some plan if something happens.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

As in previous years, Fidelity offers free TurboTax 2015 Premier to certain premium clients. It is not clear exactly what service tier qualifies. To check if you have this offer, log in to Fidelity and go to Guidance & Retirement -> Taxes. Everyone should see an offer "Save on TurboTax" for $20 off, BUT some also get a special offer on the right side "TurboTax Online Premier: Receive a free federal tax return with e-file."

If you have the free offer, click Learn More and then you'll have the option to file Online or Download (click See Products). Premier is free and other versions are slightly discounted. The download includes 5 federal e-files and one state download. State e-file costs $19.99 (free for NY) or you can print and mail the state return.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you, thank you! I knew that they did this for some people, but didn't really know where to look. Yay, I get Premier for free!

That helps make up for the time I wasted on the phone yesterday with H&R Block, trying to get their software installed - finally gave up and got my money back. Hopefully my return to TurboTax will be uneventful!
Old 12-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
As in previous years, Fidelity offers free TurboTax 2015 Premier to certain premium clients
Thank you!
That was easy, and certainly earlier than last year (mid-January as I recall).
Just downloaded Premier for free.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone know if Vanguard will be offering TurboTax 2015 downloads for Flagship customers? I can't find anything about it on their website.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbWire View Post
Does anyone know if Vanguard will be offering TurboTax 2015 downloads for Flagship customers? I can't find anything about it on their website.

Thanks.
Nope. Not anymore. That's why many folks here are looking for another option post Vanguard .
Old 12-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Darn! Thanks for the info.

I guess I'll buy tax software this year as I don't have accounts at Fidelity or TRPrice. :-(
Old 12-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
You better throw out your smart phone and cut your internet cord...

There are hackers everywhere you go. Even factory purchased software has been known to have a virus. The ACA sites had poor security, and have many retailers.

It's a risk no matter what. You have to make a calculated choice, monitor your financial matters, and have some plan if something happens.
Nevertheless, I am very careful not to download software from anyone but my most trusted sites. I think this considerably lessens my chances of virus infection and malware.

There is a big difference between entering data on an internet site (where I know what data I have supplied) or giving retailers access to credit card info, and having software running on my machine giving it access to personal financial data without my knowing.

I even have concerns about Intuit. I don't think they have shown themselves to be a company that takes customer security sufficiently seriously and have been too generous in making it easy for tax fraudsters. I don't think they are organized crime, but they get too close to the edge for me. Are they vulnerable to a third party adding malware to their official products? Recently I have wondered. They got a couple of black eyes this year with respect to tax fraud, so maybe they'll clean up their act in the interest of better publicity.

I didn't like last year that Turbotax could no longer be run off-line and printed without going back to Intuit's servers. The only saving grace was that the mechanism supposedly used the same engine and safeguards as the eFile process itself - so it was essentially no different than eFiling which I was already doing.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:59 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbWire View Post
Darn! Thanks for the info.

I guess I'll buy tax software this year as I don't have accounts at Fidelity or TRPrice. :-(
You're welcome. Same here. Since I'm in no rush to file my taxes, I'll wait til around late Jan/Feb or so to see if the price of TT drops.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #31

Quote:
You better throw out your smart phone and cut your internet cord....

It's a risk no matter what....
Not at all. IMHO, there's a huge difference in risk between normal, safe use of the internet and smartphone for everyday tasks versus purchasing financial software on a highly-suspicious website and then voluntarily supplying it with your most sensitive personal and financial information. This is an easily avoidable risk.
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #32

Just ordered Quicken Deluxe 2016 on CD for $29.85 from Amazon. It should be here on Jan 7.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Just bought TT Deluxe CD with 5 Fed eFiles & 1 State via download (State eFile extra) at Costco for $39.85. $10-15 discount depending on version ($10 on Dlx) from 12/29 thru 1/24 at a store or online. Best deal I could find...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:32 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Just bought TT Deluxe CD with 5 Fed eFiles & 1 State via download (State eFile extra) at Costco for $39.85. $10-15 discount depending on version ($10 on Dlx) from 12/29 thru 1/24 at a store or online. Best deal I could find...

I bought the premium version at Costco yesterday for $55. That was the same price as Amazon, so I figured it's the best price I'm going to find.

I tried other tax products last year, but I have ESPP shares that I need to deal with and TT handles this the best. From what I recall, support for ESPP was non-existent in H&R Block's tax software. That's also why I need the premium version.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #35

rogomax.com

Quote:
...I do believe that if it was pirated software, Intuit would have shut it down by now...
I see no Intuit products on their website. Maybe it just took Intuit a while. And the scamadviser rating was changed to 83%.
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

If you don't have to have TurboTax, I just ordered Block's TaxCut from Dell for $20 plus tax.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm holding off with Quicken 2016 until I hear a more consistent "They've finally worked out the problems" message. I "helped" QA Quicken 2013 and I'd rather not do QA for Quicken 2016.
I installed Quicken 2016 and am not happy. Really a poor effort IMHO. I had used Quicken over 10 years ago and made the switch to MM Money back then. Bought a new laptop in December with Win 10 and at first couldn't get MM (sunset a few years ago) to work so broke down and downloaded Quicken from Amazon. The good news is that I have since figured out how to get MM to work with Win10. The bad news is that I can't get a refund for Quicken 2016.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:51 AM   #38

I have since installed Quicken 2016 and I'm pretty much pleased at this point. There are a few small issues, but nothing compared to the problems encountered when I installed Quicken 2013. I don't really see anything new or different enough to get excited about, but being able to retain the ability to have transactions automatically downloaded from banks, credit cards, brokerages, and 401k plans is golden.