Join Early Retirement Today

Quicken 2016 Mac and Turbotax Discount
Old 01-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quicken 2016 Mac and Turbotax Discount

I was getting ready to order Turbotax Deluxe 2015 from Amazon when I noticed a $20 bundle discount for ordering TurboTax and Quicken 2016 together. I have always been a Quicken Windows user, and have been forced to maintain Parallels on my Mac just to run Quicken.

I have never heard great things about Quicken's Mac software, but the total package price for both items was $49.64, and Turbotax on its own would have been $39.85. So for an additional $9.79 I get a copy of Quicken for Mac 2016 to play with.

This is quite a discount compared to the retail price of $50. It arrives next week so I'll update everyone after I have a chance to try it out and import all of my Quicken Windows data.

Has anyone else purchased the 2016 version of Quicken for Mac yet?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did you see this? Quicken 2016 and TurboTax 2015 Download

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #3

I remember reading the thread and I thought the conclusion was that it was likely pirated software. Now I don't even see a reference to Turbotax or Quicken on their web site.

Has anyone found a better price than $50 for both Turbotax Deluxe and Quicken 2016? I thought that was a pretty significant discount from what I remember paying in prior years.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I was getting ready to order Turbotax Deluxe 2015 from Amazon when I noticed a $20 bundle discount for ordering TurboTax and Quicken 2016 together. I have always been a Quicken Windows user, and have been forced to maintain Parallels on my Mac just to run Quicken.

I have never heard great things about Quicken's Mac software, but the total package price for both items was $49.64, and Turbotax on its own would have been $39.85. So for an additional $9.79 I get a copy of Quicken for Mac 2016 to play with.

This is quite a discount compared to the retail price of $50. It arrives next week so I'll update everyone after I have a chance to try it out and import all of my Quicken Windows data.

Has anyone else purchased the 2016 version of Quicken for Mac yet?
Be aware that Quicken for Windows vs Mac version are very different and Mac is not even close to the same level of feature-richness

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #5

Yes, I'm aware the Mac software is weak. I've avoided buying it all these years, and I doubt I would have paid more than $10 for it. But the chance to finally get rid of Parallels and Windows on my Mac just to run one app seems worth giving it a try.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #6

Just a quick update now that I've been using Quicken Mac 2016 for about two months.

It's really not all that bad. The reports are not as customizable as the Windows version, but ultimately I've been able to get the reporting that I need out of it.

There have been two updates since January, and each one has added a few new features. I can't really think of anything significant that I can't do with it compared to the Windows version, but I'm not as much of a power user as others. I don't have the Quicken Lifetime Planner but I never used it anyway.

I just got the new Fidelity Visa credit card with the 2% rebate, and for some reason Quicken Mac can't do automatic downloads of this card even though the Windows version can. So I do have to manually enter transactions when I use this card - a bit of a hassle but I can live with it.

I still have the Windows version running through Parallels but only for data prior to 2015. I was able to convert my 20 years of data to the Mac though, so at some point I will deinstall Parallels and Windows - probably when the next update to Mac OS forces to me update Parallels or just get rid of it.

If you're a power user, you may need to stick with the Windows version. If you just do the basics and don't want to mess with Windows on a Mac, I think this version will be fine. Perhaps the new owners will invest it in and eventually catch up with the Windows version.