Join Early Retirement Today

Quicken 2018 available
Old 10-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quicken 2018 available

"Membership" going forward rather than buying the software and billpay free only with Premiere or greater. Details and pricing....

https://www.quicken.com/content/quic...8-product-line
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #2

I'm patting myself on the back for my smart move five years ago, switching to Moneydance.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ah, memberships. Yeah, a new marketing buzzword. Apparently, goes better than subscription.

BTW, those prices are brutal. Absolutely no break for forcing a yearly (instead of 3 years) payment.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Oh well.... since I am currently on 2017, hopefully I'll have two years to transition. While on one hand $60 a year is not bad for what I get in functionality, it is a big increase from what I have been paying.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

There was a thread regarding this "subscription" model some time ago. I still use 2014 and there was talk of the older versions being "turned off" to force users into the new pricing structure. We will see.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
<snip> there was talk of the older versions being "turned off" to force users into the new pricing structure. We will see.
The subscription model is new but the sunset policies have been in place for years. It's not a secret. https://www.quicken.com/support/quic...nuation-policy
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #7

FYI - Amazon has Quicken 2018 w/"Amazon exclusive 27 month membership" and also includes additional 15GB DropBox storage. There is also a 20% discount available if you shop with American Express Membership Reward Points (see info below). Pricing on Amazon:

Starter: $59.99 ($48.99 w/AMEX discount)
Deluxe: $89.99 ($71.99 w/AMEX discount)
Premier: $129.99 ($103.99 w/AMEX discount)
Home/Business: $159.99 ($127.99 w/AMEX discount)

I know, it kind of sucks to go to "membership" option, but honestly for as much as I use it, I'll pay it. Those who have found an alternative that works, great. However, I've tried all the others and they were missing something that I have found I need/want in Quicken.

Now for the details on the 20% off promo. Amazon is running a promotion through with American Express Membership Rewards. Use your American Express Reward Points and get 20% discount. Please note you do not (and I do not recommend) that you pay for your purchase entirely with points. You only need to apply some points, I applied 10 cents in points (14 points).

NOTE THAT THIS PROMOTION EXPIRES TODAY @ 11:59PM PT

Details here: https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17170797011
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Sticking with Quicken 2017, then in 2019, working on my transition before software times-out. Quicken is the ONLY reason I haven't switched over to a Chromebook yet - once I'm off Quicken, then it's goodbye Windows too.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

BTW, those prices are brutal. Absolutely no break for forcing a yearly (instead of 3 years) payment.
Absurd, that is three times what I have been paying on a yearly basis ( I only upgrade when the online services stop), $60/yr is not worth it. I guess this is the motivation to migrate to something else.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
FYI - Amazon has Quicken 2018 w/"Amazon exclusive 27 month membership" and also includes additional 15GB DropBox storage. There is also a 20% discount available if you shop with American Express Membership Reward Points (see info below). Pricing on Amazon:

Starter: $59.99 ($48.99 w/AMEX discount)
Deluxe: $89.99 ($71.99 w/AMEX discount)
Premier: $129.99 ($103.99 w/AMEX discount)
Home/Business: $159.99 ($127.99 w/AMEX discount)

I know, it kind of sucks to go to "membership" option, but honestly for as much as I use it, I'll pay it. Those who have found an alternative that works, great. However, I've tried all the others and they were missing something that I have found I need/want in Quicken.

Now for the details on the 20% off promo. Amazon is running a promotion through with American Express Membership Rewards. Use your American Express Reward Points and get 20% discount. Please note you do not (and I do not recommend) that you pay for your purchase entirely with points. You only need to apply some points, I applied 10 cents in points (14 points).

NOTE THAT THIS PROMOTION EXPIRES TODAY @ 11:59PM PT

Details here: https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17170797011
Here is what I got when I clicked on the amazon link above:

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in this offer. Unfortunately, you are not eligible for this offer.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post
Sticking with Quicken 2017, then in 2019, working on my transition before software times-out. Quicken is the ONLY reason I haven't switched over to a Chromebook yet - once I'm off Quicken, then it's goodbye Windows too.
Kinda funny, I use my Chromebook about 95% of the time (using it now), Windows is for Quicken and a couple other programs. I use my Chromebook to connect remotely (using Chrome Remote Desktop) to my Windows to access Quicken. I was hoping to see Quicken move to offer web option.

Any software you are looking to transition to? I've tried a dozen options and nothing seemed to really replace Quicken.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #12

Dumb question since I haven't used Quicken or Money in almost 12+yrs...what do you get with Quicken that you don't with the free services like Personal Capital, Mint.com (both of which I've had for many years). They show transactions, they track networth, categories, budgets, bill pays, investment and retirement planning etc. Not to mention with the apps for IOS and Android I can access all the info from wherever I am.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Here is what I got when I clicked on the amazon link above:
Do you have an American Express card and Rewards linked to your account? If not, try that. Here's offer I had:
Old 10-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

The cost isn't really much worse than buying it each year. The Amazon "exclusive" saves you $5 over the 27-month period. For those who tended to skip upgrading each year, the subscription model hurts. I am waiting to see if Costco will sell this - they sold Quicken in the past, but now that it's no longer Intuit they may not.

I will continue to use Quicken - it's worth it to me.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:18 PM   #15

What happens at the end of the membership? Do you stay on the same version, or do you quit working?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #16

I see Staples.com has discount on 2018 versions with 2 year memberships, download.

Starter: $49.99
Deluxe: $64.99
Premier: $99.99
Home/Business: $124.99
Old 10-23-2017, 03:38 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

What someone needs to do is make a conversion to another financial program and they will make a killing. I do NOT subscribe to Subscriptions (Pun Intended).
Old 10-23-2017, 04:08 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
The cost isn't really much worse than buying it each year.
But here's the thing. Most of us were buying it every THREE years.

Some here never buy it and still won't. But for those of us wanting the on-line stuff, they moved to an every three year upgrade requirement. They essentially pushed that to once per year.

But I get a membership. Will I get a badge and secret handshake?
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
What happens at the end of the membership? Do you stay on the same version, or do you quit working?
From their FAQ:
What happens to my data if my subscription is cancelled or expires?
The Quicken Data Access Guarantee means that whether you renew your subscription or not, you'll always have full access to and ownership of your data. You can view, edit, export, and manually enter transactions and accounts for Deluxe and higher versions, even after your subscription ends*. Access to online services, such as transaction download, quotes, and mobile sync, along with access to Quicken Support, will end if your subscription does. We’ll continue to let you know about product changes and enhancements within the Quicken product.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
...Any software you are looking to transition to? I've tried a dozen options and nothing seemed to really replace Quicken.
In my research, I've found the YNAB (the old, non-subscription version) combined the features I found critical in Quicken, along with my spreadsheet budgeting functions. I've been working on a minimalist distilled version that I can use in Google Sheets. It's only got a few bare-bones features (budgeting, planning, balancing) that I consider important but, since I'm using Google Sheets, I can run it anywhere (iPad, Windows, Mac, Linux, Chromebook, etc.). Since I'm not developing it for anything other than my personal use, my budget categories are fixed for my needs. I haven't yet worked on any reporting or error checking, so there's a large degree of risk. That said, I've been running my 2nd alpha in parallel with my Quicken+Spreadsheet since Jul 1, and I'm starting to understand how it'll work over time. I'd considered switching to GnuCash, but there was a steep learning curve that I didn't want to deal with. It's really a shame that Intuit and then the recent owners of Quicken are trying to squeeze their customers so ruthlessly...
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quicken 2018