Join Early Retirement Today

Quicken???
Old 01-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quicken???

I've haven't been diligent in tracking expenses since 2010. We keep an eye on overall expenditures, and credit cards are always paid off each month, but it is time to get serious knowing where all $ are going with my pending retirement just 12 months away

My last version of Quicken was 2008. It is too late to upgrade and looks like I need to start new. My bank supports Quicken but not Mint. Any reason not to invest in Quicken again?

Happy New Year to all!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've just upgraded from 2010 to 2014 for $38. At some point Quicken will stop supporting downloads from banks and financial institutions for older versions and you will be forced to upgrade.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
... At some point Quicken will stop supporting downloads from banks and financial institutions for older versions and you will be forced to upgrade.
+1
For Windows customers using the 2010 product, online services expired April 30th 2013
Quicken Discontinuation Policy - Quicken Support
Old 01-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting - Quicken for Mac 2007, with the 16.1.4 build which has a copyright including 2013 - was some kind of patch to address newer MacOSs - still runs and still downloads transactions in QFX form.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #5

I believe the only thing that stops is the online pricing updates and downloads from the financial institutions but the other functions work. You can update prices manually from yahoo. You can still upgrade to the current version.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #6

Yes, I tried to update from my credit card accounts and bank this morning and my version is not supported any longer. Looks like I will be upgrading.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

A number of us here like using Moneydance. It runs on all computers and has most of the functionality of Quicken with hardly any of the grief. Just a thought.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirka View Post
+1
For Windows customers using the 2010 product, online services expired April 30th 2013
Quicken Discontinuation Policy - Quicken Support
I was surprised to see the discontinuation date of April 2013 as I was still able to download transactions with my 2010 version up until two weeks ago when I upgraded to 2014.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Interesting - Quicken for Mac 2007, with the 16.1.4 build which has a copyright including 2013 - was some kind of patch to address newer MacOSs - still runs and still downloads transactions in QFX form.
They haven't been time-bombing the Mac product because Quicken 2007 is the last relatively "full featured" Mac version they have created. They have some really dumbed down version for the Mac now, but it's actually a major downgrade in terms of functionality so they are still supporting Q2007... at least on the Mac side.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

I’ve used Quicken for years and occasionally update when it stops accepting bank and cc downloads. I pay almost everything via credit card or online bank payment; all of which I download regularly. All my financial tracking is at my fingertips for easy view anytime.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #11

I use both Quicken and YNAB (you need a budget). For most of what I do in budgeting and keeping track of money I find YNAB far superior to Quicken.

Quicken's budgeting is poor. However, I do like that you can "better" categories in Quicken and it has much better reports. So, to analyze data I use Quicken. But, for day to day keeping track of spending and budgeting I use YNAB.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #12

I'm still using 2010. Although it won't download transactions from my accounts anymore (since late last year), it'll still update price quotes if I click in Actions: Investing Actions, then Quotes.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Alternative approach: you can track expenses without buying Quicken, just use your existing spreadsheet. It's easy to setup your own categories of expenses. Create categories that mean the most to you, and in the level of detail you want.

I 'download transactions' (in .csv format) of my checking and credit cards from my bank once a week & put them in my expense categories.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I am using Quicken Premier 2011, and have been nagged about updating prior to April 2014.

I did not check my email, and missed the 50% off offer on their list price of $105. Am thinking about buying from Costco at $70. Is there another place to get it for less?

I just downloaded Moneydance to check out. The import of QIF file output by Quicken was far less than perfect (don't know if the problem was on Quicken's or Moneydance's end). It would take a lot of manual edits. I had to do that when importing from the defunct MS Money into Quicken, and do not want to have to go through that again.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am using Quicken Premier 2011, and have been nagged about updating prior to April 2014.

I did not check my email, and missed the 50% off offer on their list price of $105. Am thinking about buying from Costco at $70. Is there another place to get it for less?
I downloaded 2014 Quicken Home & Business from Amazon two weeks ago for $50.43 after discovering that it was nearly $20 cheaper than Premier. The Home & Business version has all the features of Premier and the business stuff I won't use isn't in my way. The prices on Amazon bounced around a lot so I pounced when H&B got back to $50 after I delayed and saw it go up. (I upgraded from Quicken Premier 2011.)
Old 01-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I usually check ebay, quicken premier 2013 | eBay

I got premier 2011 in april '12 for about $10, good for 2 years.

There are some discount software sellers

Buy Quicken Premier 2013 for PC from Intuit - Quicken -Quickbooks, 419337

Quicken Premier 2013 028287038356 on eBid United States
Old 01-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
I've haven't been diligent in tracking expenses since 2010. We keep an eye on overall expenditures, and credit cards are always paid off each month, but it is time to get serious knowing where all $ are going with my pending retirement just 12 months away

My last version of Quicken was 2008. It is too late to upgrade and looks like I need to start new. My bank supports Quicken but not Mint. Any reason not to invest in Quicken again?

Happy New Year to all!!!
Happy New Year!

If you like Quicken, then I think your answer is to go ahead and upgrade.

Based on the glowing recommendations for Quicken here and elsewhere, I bought it for the first time last year. I thought that since so many truly intelligent people, whose opinions I respect so much, agreed on Quicken, that I would like it too.

It turned out that I just can't stand Quicken, and prefer to do my expense tracking in an Open Office spreadsheet. I *would* have to be different. But the purchase was worthwhile, because now I know.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #18

I have reduced my use of Quicken to tracking the basis for my taxable assets. I can get the valuation of everything from Vanguard's site -- at least close enough for what I need in terms of rebalancing etc.

Spreadsheets work fine for me for tracking expenses. I don't track the details anymore -- did it for a couple of years to get a feel for the major categories and now I'm OK with just tracking the total from credit cards and the bank.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
They haven't been time-bombing the Mac product because Quicken 2007 is the last relatively "full featured" Mac version they have created. They have some really dumbed down version for the Mac now, but it's actually a major downgrade in terms of functionality so they are still supporting Q2007... at least on the Mac side.
Right.

I bet they regret abandoning the Mac platform!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
I downloaded 2014 Quicken Home & Business from Amazon two weeks ago for $50.43 after discovering that it was nearly $20 cheaper than Premier. The Home & Business version has all the features of Premier and the business stuff I won't use isn't in my way. The prices on Amazon bounced around a lot so I pounced when H&B got back to $50 after I delayed and saw it go up. (I upgraded from Quicken Premier 2011.)
I think I can still hold out for a couple more months to see if there's another sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I usually check ebay, quicken premier 2013 | eBay

I got premier 2011 in april '12 for about $10, good for 2 years.

There are some discount software sellers

Buy Quicken Premier 2013 for PC from Intuit - Quicken -Quickbooks, 419337

Quicken Premier 2013 028287038356 on eBid United States
The older versions go for a bit lower, but then their life is shorter. I have to think about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It turned out that I just can't stand Quicken, and prefer to do my expense tracking in an Open Office spreadsheet. I *would* have to be different. But the purchase was worthwhile, because now I know.
I remember that you do not use credit cards, and pay in cash. Quicken won't do much for you then. We use credit cards for 99% for our expenses (what we spend in cash is minuscule and not worthwhile to track), and Quicken can download all transactions off the banks, and automatically classifies the expenses for us. For example, it "knows" that what we spent at Safeway is for groceries, and at a Shell station is for gas. If I had to do it by hand, I would not track everything because it's too much work.

We also have several tIRAs, Roth IRAs, 401ks, and brokerage accounts, and as I hold individual stocks, the trouble Quicken or any other software for that matter saves me from having to enter in all the dividend payouts is worth the cost. And I love to be able to search up any expense I incurred, any check we wrote, or to call up the gain/loss and income from any account, or to look back at any stock transaction.

In other words, there are other software that can help minimize my data entry, and Quicken just happens to be the one I use. And I have to use one, in order to save me time to surf the Web.