Join Early Retirement Today

Quicken
Old 12-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quicken

Saw a post from a couple days ago about Quicken. I upgraded for 50% off, but I'm not sure whether this link will work (or not) for those of you buying new:

What’s New with Quicken® 2015 Personal Finance Software

I believe the discount will only work until Dec. 30--if it does work.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
Saw a post from a couple days ago about Quicken. I upgraded for 50% off, but I'm not sure whether this link will work (or not) for those of you buying new:

What’s New with Quicken® 2015 Personal Finance Software

I believe the discount will only work until Dec. 30--if it does work.
The link worked fine, but $74.99 was listed as the price for Quicken Deluxe. I hope that is not 50% off.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:43 AM   #3

I have used these folks.

Qmaxtax Store

They are showing $34.99 for Quicken Deluxe 2015, less a 15% discount. It's less than $30. Immediate download, no media.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I have used these folks.
As have I, a few minutes ago....

Quicken Premium at a 61% discount off list, not bad at all!
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm interested in Quicken Premiere as I want to play with taxes, etc since we just retired this year. I have 2 questions. If I download from the above link, what happens if my computer dies? Since I won't have a CD? Also, is this easy enough for a non-financial accounting person? I will have a CPA do my taxes.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinnov a View Post
I'm interested in Quicken Premiere as I want to play with taxes, etc since we just retired this year. I have 2 questions. If I download from the above link, what happens if my computer dies? Since I won't have a CD? Also, is this easy enough for a non-financial accounting person? I will have a CPA do my taxes.
I always burn my downloaded files to a CD right away. Then, I attempt to install from the CD. If your computer dies, you have a C/D.

It's just pay, login, and get the download link.

I have no interest in the site, but I have used them for several years. I have never had a problem. They continually change the website, so I am not 100% sure how they get the software. I would use PayPal, or a credit card, just in case.

I typically buy Quicken Rental Property Manager, TurboTax Home and Business and TurboTax Corporation.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 12-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw the 50% upgrade offer on Quicken a few days ago, but already deleted it. I will not be upgrading until the 3-year online service runs out on my Quicken 2014.

Quote:
I have used these folks.

Qmaxtax Store

They are showing $34.99 for Quicken Deluxe 2015, less a 15% discount. It's less than $30. Immediate download, no media.
That's not bad. I bought Quicken Premier 2014 at Costco and paid $54. Just now, see that Quicken Premier 2015 has gone up to $105 (pricey!), and Costco sells it for $70. That Qmaxtax offers download of the same for $48. That's a good deal.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If your computer dies, I believe that you can always log onto the Quicken website and re-download the software. Also, if your computer dies, even if you had to buy Quicken again it would be the least of your troubles.

If you are principally interested in projecting taxes I would not use Quicken Premier (I have it and the tax functionality is just ok). I would use TurboTax and the What-If Worksheets available in TurboTax.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I just tried to buy this product and got a message, "Offline, leave a message." Imagine, an online store that won't let you order when no people are in the office.

Amethyst

Quote:
I have used these folks.

Qmaxtax Store

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I just tried to buy this product and got a message, "Offline, leave a message." Imagine, an online store that won't let you order when no people are in the office.

Amethyst
You get what you pay for?

It's $89 at Amazon, $69 at Costco. $48 at "Qmaxtax Store".

But $54.99 after rebate at Fry's. Take your pick.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
$48 at "Qmaxtax Store".
If you buy it, don't forget the 15% discount with the "NEW15" coupon code. It's only $40.80 then. No sales tax.

I always order it on-line, never had an issue. I did it this AM, bought TurboTax H&B, TurboTax Corp and Quicken Rental PM. $225.23 total.

I always burn a CD and install it right away too, to make sure it's legit. I used to use the Pirate Bay, but shy away from that now.

I think they are an OEM distributor and sell OEM software without hardware. It's another option, I am not involved in it at all, just buy my software there. And to be honest, I am always a bit leery of them. That's why I charge the software and try it right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I would suspect the company is in India, I would send an email. I did not even know they had a phone number.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:55 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Still with Quicken 2004 here, which was available for, and remains, free.
Ozstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:16 AM   #13
Confused about dryer sheets

With Quicken 2004, how do you download your transactions? I keep upgrading,though I don't want the additional features. All I want is to keep the several year history for comparisons and the automatic download. Is there another way to keep the data and downloads without upgrading?
sgilbert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:32 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

You could not download transactions with Quicken 2004. Each version does it for three years, then it will no longer download transactions. However, you can continue to use it indefinitely - you can manually enter transactions.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozstache View Post
Still with Quicken 2004 here, which was available for, and remains, free.
I have been using Quicken since the days of two floppy disks. It was sometime in the the late 1980's. I have never been more than 2 versions behind.

At some point, all software needs to be upgraded. What you will find is you need several versions in between 2004 and current if you ever want or need to upgrade.

If your computer ever dies, any Quicken version from 2004 (or most any other software from 2004), will likely not be able to be installed on a new PC. This is even more important with backup software than financial software.

You should be upgrading the data, with any financial software package (Quicken or not), if for nothing else than so you do not lose it.

Treat your computer with care. Your financial data will die with it.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:52 AM   #16

Still using Quicken 1999, maybe this reply should be in the "He's so frugal...."
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you buy it, don't forget the 15% discount with the "NEW15" coupon code. It's only $40.80 then. No sales tax.

I always order it on-line, never had an issue. I did it this AM, bought TurboTax H&B, TurboTax Corp and Quicken Rental PM. $225.23 total.

I always burn a CD and install it right away too, to make sure it's legit. I used to use the Pirate Bay, but shy away from that now.

I think they are an OEM distributor and sell OEM software without hardware. It's another option, I am not involved in it at all, just buy my software there. And to be honest, I am always a bit leery of them. That's why I charge the software and try it right away.

I would suspect the company is in India, I would send an email. I did not even know they had a phone number.
Thanks for the tip - just downloaded the basic Quicken for $24.65.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #18

Quicken is currently running one of their 50% off "sales". Deluxe is $37.49

Quicken® 2015 Personal Finance Software - Money Management, Personal Finances

I just did the forced upgrade last year so not doing anything for now. sometimes you can find last years version for cheap on ebay.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #19

Quote:

Debinov:
1. When you download, you will set up a Quicken account with a logon and password and are allowed to download a new copy if the computer dies, assuming you don't backup. This will also allow you to upload your information to the cloud and use a mobile app but I don't do this.
2. Quicken, I think, is pretty easy to use and automatically downloads transactions, once you link it to your bank, credit card, and investment accounts. For some reason, my wife's Fidelity account does not download, but mine does, as well as all other investment accounts (we have about 12). Once accounts are linked, you can see all accounts at a glance and click down into transactions. You do have to have all your account log-ons and passwords, of course, and a few mutual families still don't support Quicken downloading.

Others: the link I sent apparently is linked to a cookie that displays the discount only to myself. Sorry about that. My older version was Quicken 2012, so I needed to upgrade and had been waiting for a discount. The other discount service looks like a good one for those of you who can't renew.

As a final word, I was an old Microsoft Money user (and before that CA Money or something like that) and I converted its data when Money was shutdown. When I upgraded to the new Quicken version, it informed me that I had 100,000 transactions to update. Memory is electronic, now. (One of the more interesting features is the Net Worth chart that in my case goes back 20 years.)
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Downloaded the Quicken for Mac for $24.65 with 15% discount. Not sure I like the new format compared to Q4M 2007. It's definitely more Mint-ish. Maybe it will grow on me. I'll probably use both versions for a time as the budget tracking in 2015 is pretty limited.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote