Quicken compatible software

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Our accounting needs are no longer complicated but we have used Quicken for years. Now comes time to upgrade a computer and when I look at Quicken Deluxe price I gag. I want simple accounting software (don't want to download credit card charges but do want a few accounts for budgeting & tax purposes) for example) that can use existing Quicken data files (Quicken Basic won't). Any suggestions?

I think Moneydance is probably the bet combination of features and price for most folks.

I recently moved to KMyMoney since I am a big supporter of the Open Source movement. This has served me well and costs nothing for you to try.

You will have to import/convert your Quicken files into either.

I don't think you will find anything that will use quicken data files except quicken.

Do you need the download capability ? If not you can keep using the existing quicken, update it manually.

What kind of price are you looking at. I've had luck before buying a year old version off of ebay.Also intuit will usually have a promo running when the new version rolls out.

Gnucash is another opensource alternative, moneydance is also a popular replacement.

What is so expensive about quicken?

You can buy Quicken Deluxe 2014 Full version for 25.99.
Or even the Quicken Rental Property Manager 2014 Full version for 49.99

Just curious. Brat: What price did you see? I think about $45 is normal, but Senator has seen it for less.

The lowest price I found on a disk is $47.32 at Wal-Mart, $45.40 as a download on Amazon.

When the new 'puter arrives I will take a look at the website Senator has mentioned.

You realize that you can probably use it for 3 years or more so it comes out to $15/year or less. Or you can install your current Quicken software and continue to use it.

Husband wants to try that but our version is at least 10 years old.

If what you are running is 10 years old, I would suggest that you make sure the current version can use the data files from the 10 year old version. I just don't know, but you might wind up having to buy some intermediate versions to get to the current one.

I never care that my version of Quicken sunsets. It is ready for an upgrade anyway after 3 years.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I simply cannot understand how $1.21 per month could make you gag.

Unless there is a specific reason to update why do it? The old software worked for you.

You can use Money Sunset Edition

It's free from Microsoft. It does not expire. I have been using MS Money since 1989. it's a great tool for personal financial management. Microsoft dropped support for it in 2011 but provided the final edition in 2011 for free. They also provide the small business edition for free.
I download my bank statements manually. I download stock quotes automatically using python scripts. You can also automate the bank statement downloads using python scripts. MS Money lets you import Quicken files also.

below is the link.
Download Money Plus Sunset Deluxe from Official Microsoft Download Center

I used Microsoft Money but shifted to Quicken when Money quit--I upgrade about every 4-5 years, unless I can snag one for about $30-40. Using Quicken 2012 right now and probably will upgrade next year.
I can see my portfolio at a glance and prices upgrade automatically. Worth about $1/month, in my view.

The other handy thing I use Quicken for is monitoring my current and future checking account balance. Since I have all my auto-pays & dividends coming in and out of checking and they are all memorized transactions, I can look at the Projected Balances graph (which I have defined to be my checking account) and tell at a glance if my balance will be getting so low that I need to do a special transfer to cover our spending. I include monthly averages for some (like my credit card bill, electric bill, etc) and then just update for that next instance once I get the bill. It has worked reall well to monitor cash flow and cash balances.

The other handy thing I use Quicken for is monitoring my current and future checking account balance. Since I have all my auto-pays & dividends coming in and out of checking and they are all memorized transactions, I can look at the Projected Balances graph (which I have defined to be my checking account) and tell at a glance if my balance will be getting so low that I need to do a special transfer to cover our spending. I include monthly averages for some (like my credit card bill, electric bill, etc) and then just update for that next instance once I get the bill. It has worked reall well to monitor cash flow and cash balances.

I don't have a checking account any more, so no need to forecast cashflow and make transfers. I "bank" from the same place where the cash is. Simplify.

I was Quicken's most well-disciplined indentured servant for 15+ years. No more. Quicken's "sunset" policy, that disables online features to force upgrades, was just the motivation I needed to find an alternative. More importantly, the software required too much effort for limited value out. I now use Personal Capital for basic transaction and balance tracking, as well as other things like portfolio analytics. Anything beyond that... Excel. I used Mint for a while, but Personal Capital seems to be more tailored for my needs.

I don't have a checking account any more, so no need to forecast cashflow and make transfers. I "bank" from the same place where the cash is. Simplify.

I was Quicken's most well-disciplined indentured servant for 15+ years. No more. Quicken's "sunset" policy, that disables online features to force upgrades, was just the motivation I needed to find an alternative. More importantly, the software required too much effort for limited value out. I now use Personal Capital for basic transaction and balance tracking, as well as other things like portfolio analytics. Anything beyond that... Excel. I used Mint for a while, but Personal Capital seems to be more tailored for my needs.

So where is the cash... in your mattress?

I don't see spending $70 or so every three years for an upgrade as a burden given the functionality I get from Quicken.

For me, maintenance is a breeze. Virtually every account I have is defined to Quicken so I kick-off One Step Update and then review/accept transactions. Usually 5 minutes or so two-three times a week to have up to date data.

The other nice thing about having everything in Quicken is I can easily monitor our long-term forecast through Lifetime Planner.

The cost of Quicken was never my problem. It was the forced upgrades that bothered me. I always encountered some type of issue after upgrading and having to pay for that luxury wasn't worth it. Plus, I moved over to a Mac, where Quicken support is lacking.

I changed over to Moneydance, which works well and is truly cross platform with no forced upgrades. It might not have all the bells and whistles of Quicken, but once you learn it's quirks - and all of these programs have their own set of quirks - it works well for what I need. I even paid for an upgrade after a couple of years, which went smoothly. Except for one issue, which when I e-mailed them about was answered quickly. I doubt I'd get the same level of customer service from Intuit.

I'm trying out the Windows version of Quicken on a Mac using Crossover software (by Codeweavers)... because of the bad press about the Mac version of Quicken.

Kindest regards.

So where is the cash... in your mattress?

I don't see spending $70 or so every three years for an upgrade as a burden given the functionality I get from Quicken.

For me, maintenance is a breeze. Virtually every account I have is defined to Quicken so I kick-off One Step Update and then review/accept transactions. Usually 5 minutes or so two-three times a week to have up to date data.

The other nice thing about having everything in Quicken is I can easily monitor our long-term forecast through Lifetime Planner.

Cash is split between a cash management account at Fidelity, which we use like a bank, and Ally, where we earn 0.9% on money we won't need for a year or more.

The cost of Quicken was never the issue. It was the disabling of online capabilities. It they want to stop supporting, that's fine. But to render the software useless is unacceptable. Plus, the free online tools do everything I need and are easier to use.

Back
Top Bottom