Join Early Retirement Today

Quicken compatible software
Old 09-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quicken compatible software

Our accounting needs are no longer complicated but we have used Quicken for years. Now comes time to upgrade a computer and when I look at Quicken Deluxe price I gag. I want simple accounting software (don't want to download credit card charges but do want a few accounts for budgeting & tax purposes) for example) that can use existing Quicken data files (Quicken Basic won't). Any suggestions?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think Moneydance is probably the bet combination of features and price for most folks.

I recently moved to KMyMoney since I am a big supporter of the Open Source movement. This has served me well and costs nothing for you to try.

You will have to import/convert your Quicken files into either.

CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think you will find anything that will use quicken data files except quicken.

Do you need the download capability ? If not you can keep using the existing quicken, update it manually.

What kind of price are you looking at. I've had luck before buying a year old version off of ebay.Also intuit will usually have a promo running when the new version rolls out.

Gnucash is another opensource alternative, moneydance is also a popular replacement.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #4

What is so expensive about quicken?

You can buy Quicken Deluxe 2014 Full version for 25.99.
Or even the Quicken Rental Property Manager 2014 Full version for 49.99
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #5

Just curious. Brat: What price did you see? I think about $45 is normal, but Senator has seen it for less.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The lowest price I found on a disk is $47.32 at Wal-Mart, $45.40 as a download on Amazon.

When the new 'puter arrives I will take a look at the website Senator has mentioned.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

You realize that you can probably use it for 3 years or more so it comes out to $15/year or less. Or you can install your current Quicken software and continue to use it.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Husband wants to try that but our version is at least 10 years old.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If it is that old I would buy the new version and plan to use it for 3-5 years.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:20 PM   #10

If what you are running is 10 years old, I would suggest that you make sure the current version can use the data files from the 10 year old version. I just don't know, but you might wind up having to buy some intermediate versions to get to the current one.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #11

I never care that my version of Quicken sunsets. It is ready for an upgrade anyway after 3 years.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
If what you are running is 10 years old, I would suggest that you make sure the current version can use the data files from the 10 year old version. I just don't know, but you might wind up having to buy some intermediate versions to get to the current one.
That's correct. Much older versions require intermediate steps to get to the current version

https://quicken.intuit.com/support/h.../GEN82211.html
Old 09-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #13

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I simply cannot understand how $1.21 per month could make you gag.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:21 PM   #14

Unless there is a specific reason to update why do it? The old software worked for you.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:27 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

You can use Money Sunset Edition

It's free from Microsoft. It does not expire. I have been using MS Money since 1989. it's a great tool for personal financial management. Microsoft dropped support for it in 2011 but provided the final edition in 2011 for free. They also provide the small business edition for free.
I download my bank statements manually. I download stock quotes automatically using python scripts. You can also automate the bank statement downloads using python scripts. MS Money lets you import Quicken files also.

below is the link.
Download Money Plus Sunset Deluxe from Official Microsoft Download Center
Old 09-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets

Another open-source idea that may work: gnuCash. It began in Linux but it's been ported to Windows.
www.gnucash.org I believe.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #17

I used Microsoft Money but shifted to Quicken when Money quit--I upgrade about every 4-5 years, unless I can snag one for about $30-40. Using Quicken 2012 right now and probably will upgrade next year.
I can see my portfolio at a glance and prices upgrade automatically. Worth about $1/month, in my view.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The other handy thing I use Quicken for is monitoring my current and future checking account balance. Since I have all my auto-pays & dividends coming in and out of checking and they are all memorized transactions, I can look at the Projected Balances graph (which I have defined to be my checking account) and tell at a glance if my balance will be getting so low that I need to do a special transfer to cover our spending. I include monthly averages for some (like my credit card bill, electric bill, etc) and then just update for that next instance once I get the bill. It has worked reall well to monitor cash flow and cash balances.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The other handy thing I use Quicken for is monitoring my current and future checking account balance. Since I have all my auto-pays & dividends coming in and out of checking and they are all memorized transactions, I can look at the Projected Balances graph (which I have defined to be my checking account) and tell at a glance if my balance will be getting so low that I need to do a special transfer to cover our spending. I include monthly averages for some (like my credit card bill, electric bill, etc) and then just update for that next instance once I get the bill. It has worked reall well to monitor cash flow and cash balances.
I don't have a checking account any more, so no need to forecast cashflow and make transfers. I "bank" from the same place where the cash is. Simplify.

I was Quicken's most well-disciplined indentured servant for 15+ years. No more. Quicken's "sunset" policy, that disables online features to force upgrades, was just the motivation I needed to find an alternative. More importantly, the software required too much effort for limited value out. I now use Personal Capital for basic transaction and balance tracking, as well as other things like portfolio analytics. Anything beyond that... Excel. I used Mint for a while, but Personal Capital seems to be more tailored for my needs.
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I don't have a checking account any more, so no need to forecast cashflow and make transfers. I "bank" from the same place where the cash is. Simplify.

I was Quicken's most well-disciplined indentured servant for 15+ years. No more. Quicken's "sunset" policy, that disables online features to force upgrades, was just the motivation I needed to find an alternative. More importantly, the software required too much effort for limited value out. I now use Personal Capital for basic transaction and balance tracking, as well as other things like portfolio analytics. Anything beyond that... Excel. I used Mint for a while, but Personal Capital seems to be more tailored for my needs.
So where is the cash... in your mattress?

I don't see spending $70 or so every three years for an upgrade as a burden given the functionality I get from Quicken.

For me, maintenance is a breeze. Virtually every account I have is defined to Quicken so I kick-off One Step Update and then review/accept transactions. Usually 5 minutes or so two-three times a week to have up to date data.

The other nice thing about having everything in Quicken is I can easily monitor our long-term forecast through Lifetime Planner.