Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #61
Confused about dryer sheets

If some people here are having compatibility problems running very old versions of Quicken, why not try using Windows compatibility mode as follows:

Right-click on the Quicken launch icon>Properties>Compatibility>Checkbox for Compatibility Mode>{Pick one, such as XP}.

Good Luck. I'm running Q2011 with no issues and no sign of auto-termination from mother Intuit.
RockyMNHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 09:31 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMNHiker View Post
Right-click on the Quicken launch icon>Properties>Compatibility>Checkbox for Compatibility Mode>{Pick one, such as XP}.
I've tried them all and it makes no difference. At least my workaround to reboot between access of the same quicken file in the same session (which is pretty rare for me to do anyway) is an easy and reliable workaround.
Ozstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:05 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just bought a two-year subscription to Quicken. I like the download functionality, it makes it very quick to reconcile my accounts. The time saved is well worth the price of the subscription for me.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #64

We were running Quicken 2015 on mac last year and it glitched and we lost some data. Didn't want to trust it anymore or upgrade to the new subscription model so we switched to Moneyspire.
It imported all our old data and is working fine so far. They appear to come out
with an upgrade once a year for about $20 but so far we haven't upgraded.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #65

I resisted subscribing to Quicken, but I've used it for so long that I just can't justify starting over. I really do like it. I hate subscriptions, but will make an exception for this old friend.

Now, someone please tell me about Morningstar X-Ray within Quicken? I didn't even know I had that, and in looking around, I'm wondering if it's no longer available. I'm using the 2019 version. I Googled how to use it, and it says to go to Investing, then click on the Portfolio X-Ray tab. I don't have one.

Never mind, figured it out. I have Deluxe. I have to fork over more $$ and get Premier to access Morningstar X-Ray. Boo.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Quicken Deluxe 2016
Old 03-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quicken Deluxe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Never mind, figured it out. I have Deluxe. I have to fork over more $$ and get Premier to access Morningstar X-Ray. Boo.

Unfortunately, that’s true. I don’t use it frequently but when I do it provides interesting information and break downs. One in particular is “stock intersection”, which gives you a summary of the actual stocks recently held in your funds.

You can also slice and dice by selecting a subset of your accounts (taxable vs retirement, for example, or only Vanguard).

I discovered I also have access to the Morningstar X-Ray tool through a 457 account I have at T. Rowe Price and it has more exhaustive capabilities than what I find in Quicken. But TRP doesn’t “know” all my investments like Quicken does so it would require creating a portfolio manually.

[ADDED] I checked recently and the single largest holding across all my retirement accounts is... Microsoft! Definitely was not before. Who’da guessed?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
We were running Quicken 2015 on mac last year and it glitched and we lost some data. Didn't want to trust it anymore or upgrade to the new subscription model so we switched to Moneyspire.
It imported all our old data and is working fine so far. They appear to come out
with an upgrade once a year for about $20 but so far we haven't upgraded.
How does Moneyspire do in tracking investment basis and trades. As I said above, I only use Quicken 3-4 times per year to quarterly download my transactions and to periodically check basis information to determine which lots to donate to charity or to sell. If it can do that reliably, then I will switch. I took a look at the reviews and they are mixed. But, I think the negative reviews all deal with banking and that is not my intended use. I think that I will try the free month and see if it works. I certainly like paying $30 once and then deciding in the future if I want to upgrade. So much better than Quicken’s new and old model.

By the way, a few days ago I decided to give in and buy a Quicken subscription because they were having a “sale.” But, when I got to the fine details I saw that the subscription would start immediately meaning that I throw away 2.5 months of use for my existing software. Sneaky guys. I really hope Moneyspire works!
sdfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfire View Post
How does Moneyspire do in tracking investment basis and trades. As I said above, I only use Quicken 3-4 times per year to quarterly download my transactions and to periodically check basis information to determine which lots to donate to charity or to sell. If it can do that reliably, then I will switch. I took a look at the reviews and they are mixed. But, I think the negative reviews all deal with banking and that is not my intended use. I think that I will try the free month and see if it works. I certainly like paying $30 once and then deciding in the future if I want to upgrade. So much better than Quicken’s new and old model.

By the way, a few days ago I decided to give in and buy a Quicken subscription because they were having a “sale.” But, when I got to the fine details I saw that the subscription would start immediately meaning that I throw away 2.5 months of use for my existing software. Sneaky guys. I really hope Moneyspire works!
Not sure, we only use Moneyspire for checking account but they advertise these type of accounts types: Bank, Credit card, Cash, Investment, Other asset, Other liability.
They have free download to try and youtube videos.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #69
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
Not sure, we only use Moneyspire for checking account but they advertise these type of accounts types: Bank, Credit card, Cash, Investment, Other asset, Other liability.
They have free download to try and youtube videos.
Well, I REALLY wanted Moneyspire to work. But, after spending a few hours trying to make it work, I couldn’t. I followed the manual (read the whole thing—see I told you I wanted this to work) and watched videos. But, when I export and import my Quicken files there are huge errors. I even tried to figure out the errors (some were based on any transaction over 1,000 shares being treated as 1.0 shares). The bottom line is that my primary interest is in tracking the basis of my investments. The program simply could not do that. I tried to reach someone at Moneyspire but couldn’t find a telephone number. I sent them an email asking for help. Crickets. So, I’m sad to say that my experiment is over. I’m not spending any more time on this. I still wish there were an alternative to Quicken!
Old 03-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #70

Quote:
Well, I REALLY wanted Moneyspire to work. But, after spending a few hours trying to make it work, I couldn’t. I followed the manual (read the whole thing—see I told you I wanted this to work) and watched videos. But, when I export and import my Quicken files there are huge errors. I even tried to figure out the errors (some were based on any transaction over 1,000 shares being treated as 1.0 shares). The bottom line is that my primary interest is in tracking the basis of my investments. The program simply could not do that. I tried to reach someone at Moneyspire but couldn’t find a telephone number. I sent them an email asking for help. Crickets. So, I’m sad to say that my experiment is over. I’m not spending any more time on this. I still wish there were an alternative to Quicken!
You found some issue I did with converting from Quicken (did so several years ago as I looked for an alternative). I'm sure some people will just tell you to start fresh with Moneyspire. But for me it still left a void. You also found out there's something to be said for paying for Quicken, you do get support. Imagine if Moneyspire just quit working for whatever reason and you are left with a data file that you really can't do anything with. For $30 or so a year I'm willing to pay. As they say, penny wise and pound foolish.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #71
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
You found some issue I did with converting from Quicken (did so several years ago as I looked for an alternative). I'm sure some people will just tell you to start fresh with Moneyspire. But for me it still left a void. You also found out there's something to be said for paying for Quicken, you do get support. Imagine if Moneyspire just quit working for whatever reason and you are left with a data file that you really can't do anything with. For $30 or so a year I'm willing to pay. As they say, penny wise and pound foolish.
All true. But, it stinks that Quicken's product is so bad that it doesn't easily transfer files to other products like Moneyspire and the product you tried. Quicken is forcing me to continue using their product because I can't transfer the data from their product to another product. Kind of reminds me of the fact that they want to short me 2.5 months when I buy a new subscription.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #72

Quote:

How many transactions do you have in that 3-4 month period? If you are an active trader with hundreds - thousands? of trades in that period then sure an active Quicken subscription is the way to go, or maybe professional trading software would be an even better choice. If on the other hand, we are talking about a dozen or two transactions during that period... well, manual entry is really not so hard, even in this era of almost free electrons.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #73

Quote:
All true. But, it stinks that Quicken's product is so bad that it doesn't easily transfer files to other products like Moneyspire and the product you tried.
Quicken has their format, you honestly can't be faulting Quicken for creating their own format, can you? It's up to others to handle conversion. Appears that Moneyspire falls short on that and support.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #74
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
How many transactions do you have in that 3-4 month period? If you are an active trader with hundreds - thousands? of trades in that period then sure an active Quicken subscription is the way to go, or maybe professional trading software would be an even better choice. If on the other hand, we are talking about a dozen or two transactions during that period... well, manual entry is really not so hard, even in this era of almost free electrons.
I don't have hundreds or thousands. Most of my transactions are monthly/ quarterly dividend reinvestment or similar. But, I have enough transactions that it would be a pain to enter them manually. Plus, I think I would find the lack of up to date valuations to be confusing.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #75
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Quicken has their format, you honestly can't be faulting Quicken for creating their own format, can you? It's up to others to handle conversion. Appears that Moneyspire falls short on that and support.
Actually, I don't think it is asking too much to ask Quicken to make it possible to export a data file that works. Why do they have that function if it can't be used for anything. So, yes, I honestly expect them to provide something that works. Is there any other investment tracking product out there where I can import a Quicken file? If not, then they are effectively forcing people to stay.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #76

Quote:
Actually, I don't think it is asking too much to ask Quicken to make it possible to export a data file that works. Why do they have that function if it can't be used for anything. So, yes, I honestly expect them to provide something that works. Is there any other investment tracking product out there where I can import a Quicken file? If not, then they are effectively forcing people to stay.
I feel your pain, but that's the way it is when you're the top dog. Do you think Microsoft gives a care whether Google sheets can import and Excel file? That's the importers problem. You want to take business, you have to make it easy for the current user to switch. As you point out, Quicken has no incentive to make it easy for you to leave.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #77

Quote:
Actually, I don't think it is asking too much to ask Quicken to make it possible to export a data file that works.

Moneyspire seems to think importing a Quicken file is a breeze, at least that's part of their sales pitch to get you to buy their product.

Quote:
Easily move from Quicken®, Mint® & more

Moneyspire lets you easily move from your existing personal finance software with its extensive importing options.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Quicken Deluxe 2016
Old 03-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quicken Deluxe 2016

Maybe the paths of least resistance/pain are 1) start from scratch with Moneyspire by re-entering your data/info (forget importing) or 2) pay for the Quicken product after researching available current prices.

[ADDED] Looking back, it seems you’ve already paid for Quicken. If true, if I were you I’d be working with that and make sure everything’s OK right now.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #79
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Maybe the paths of least resistance/pain are 1) start from scratch with Moneyspire by re-entering your data/info (forget importing) or 2) pay for the Quicken product after researching available current prices.

[ADDED] Looking back, it seems you’ve already paid for Quicken. If true, if I were you I’d be working with that and make sure everything’s OK right now.
Thanks for helping me think this through. I didn’t pull the trigger on the Quicken subscription because it bugged me that they were forcing me to give up 2.5 months of my current product. But, I have way too many transactions to start from scratch. So, I don’t think I have any other options than to go ahead and sign up for Quicken. The last remaining question is whether to go with the current discount even though it starts immediately or to wait until I don’t have anymore downloads and risk a higher price.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #80

Quote:
Thanks for helping me think this through. I didn’t pull the trigger on the Quicken subscription because it bugged me that they were forcing me to give up 2.5 months of my current product. But, I have way too many transactions to start from scratch. So, I don’t think I have any other options than to go ahead and sign up for Quicken. The last remaining question is whether to go with the current discount even though it starts immediately or to wait until I don’t have anymore downloads and risk a higher price.
I’d bite the bullet and do it now just so you can put this to rest. You’ve spent enough time thinking about this. You made your decision. Lock it in and move on.