Quicken--Grrr!

tb001

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Is anyone else experiencing massive headaches with quicken and automatic downloads? On a mac here.

I've followed their instructions for setting up amex for direct downloads, but it's not working correctly. We have 5 Amex cards between us and it is downloading transactions to the wrong cards, not updating others, and just generally a complete mess.

And as I go through to double check other accounts, Chase isn't downloading correctly either. Only showing last 30 days of transactions. When I try to do manual download, none of the file types are able to be saved to quicken.

Annoying given the cost!

FWIW, I don't think anyone has ever been completely happy with Quicken for Mac.

I've actually tried it twice over the years and never kept it more than a month or two.

Abandoned Q for Mac after trying to import data (what a mess). I have my otherwise retired iMac that just stands alone for Q. Have VM Fusion running Windows running Q 2011. No downloads, just use it to track stuff. One of these days something gonna die and I'll just lose all my history and I'll be sad, because I don't think I"ll replicate this setup (have data backed up). Every once in a while someone will ask "When did we ______?" or such and I'll just go to Q and search for some purchase/vendor/travel etc to find out. At this point we have no need to track expense categories for anything but curiosity. I do like Q but don't want to pay annual fees or have to have a PC to run Windows.

One of these days something gonna die and I'll just lose all my history and I'll be sad, because I don't think I"ll replicate this setup (have data backed up).

This idea may be too convoluted for you to bother with, but I went through several money management software packages and seemed to lose some history every time I switched, converted, or upgraded.

So the last time I changed (been using Moneydance happily for over six years now), I exported as much as I could into two spreadsheets. One for investment transactions, one for banking/credit card transactions. Now when I want to look something up that happened before 2013, I go to one of those spreadsheets, do an appropriate sort and get my answer with a "Find" command. It's not especially pretty but it works for me.

There was a maintenance fix that Quicken announced, Amex had changed their protocol or something for the download. You had to deactivate the card and then set it back up as new account and link to your existing account record. Worked fine, no issues.

Is anyone else experiencing massive headaches with quicken and automatic downloads? On a mac here.

I've followed their instructions for setting up amex for direct downloads, but it's not working correctly. We have 5 Amex cards between us and it is downloading transactions to the wrong cards, not updating others, and just generally a complete mess.

And as I go through to double check other accounts, Chase isn't downloading correctly either. Only showing last 30 days of transactions. When I try to do manual download, none of the file types are able to be saved to quicken.

Annoying given the cost!

I've helped my brother setup a Windows 10 VM on Mac just in order to avoid using Q on Mac. Suggest you consider that too.

There was a maintenance fix that Quicken announced, Amex had changed their protocol or something for the download. You had to deactivate the card and then set it back up as new account and link to your existing account record. Worked fine, no issues.

Yes, that's what ended up screwing up the accounts in the first place! I've tried this over and over and sometimes it loads all of the accounts, sometimes it doesn't. But as part of the process it managed to assign the wrong name at some point to an account and so one of the accounts has the wrong statements associated with it and I can't seem to fix it. I've tried deactivating and reactivating the account and it doesn't work.

Then I realized the chase accounts weren't updating, and now it's only pulling in a small subset of transactions. A total mess.

Yes, that's what ended up screwing up the accounts in the first place! I've tried this over and over and sometimes it loads all of the accounts, sometimes it doesn't. But as part of the process it managed to assign the wrong name at some point to an account and so one of the accounts has the wrong statements associated with it and I can't seem to fix it. I've tried deactivating and reactivating the account and it doesn't work.

Then I realized the chase accounts weren't updating, and now it's only pulling in a small subset of transactions. A total mess.

Yea, I know what you are referring to. You have to match up the account numbers. If you have multiple login's to Amex (such as husband and wife have different accounts) you have to be sure to properly match the accounts. It was a def more effort than it should have been, but I didn't have any problems linking my accounts back in the end.

Yea, I know what you are referring to. You have to match up the account numbers. If you have multiple login's to Amex (such as husband and wife have different accounts) you have to be sure to properly match the accounts. It was a def more effort than it should have been, but I didn't have any problems linking my accounts back in the end.

What a pain! We got it sorted after spending over an hour with quicken cust svc. I did match up the account numbers correctly, as verified when the same thing happened to them. At one point we had 3 duplicate accounts!

The key was to manually deactivate all the cards and then re-link each card one at a time. All seem to be working now. Now I just get to go through and reclassify all of the expenses :(

I’m intrigued about quicken for pc. We have an older pc that we used for our security system monitoring. I could pull it into use again, but seems nuts that I should have to! Will see how this goes. Until this hiccup it’s been ok

I’m intrigued about quicken for pc. We have an older pc that we used for our security system monitoring. I could pull it into use again, but seems nuts that I should have to! Will see how this goes. Until this hiccup it’s been ok

Can you use Quicken for Windows under boot camp on the Mac? Would be a PITA to restart the Mac every time you need Quicken but maybe no more than switching machines?

I switched to Quicken Mac 1.5 years ago and I’ve been OK with it, but I had’t been using the features only available on the Win version apparently. Maybe I should re-evaluate that.

What a pain! We got it sorted after spending over an hour with quicken cust svc. I did match up the account numbers correctly, as verified when the same thing happened to them. At one point we had 3 duplicate accounts!

The key was to manually deactivate all the cards and then re-link each card one at a time. All seem to be working now. Now I just get to go through and reclassify all of the expenses :(

Strange that you need to reclassify all your expenses. I didn't have to do anything other than link the account. And yeah, I did do the manual deactivate first, actually closed the program and then relaunched and added each one individually. I don't know if I needed to close the program but knew this would flush anything in the memory and then reload cleanly when relaunched. I'm running Windows version, so maybe something different. At least you got it sorted out.

No problems here. Just deactivated the link closed the program relaunched and relinked. I do occasionally get connection errors with Macys Amex and Target but the above procedure usually clears it up.

Gave up on Quicken Mac & just use Mint instead.

I'd use Quicken if it could automatically link/import from my Mint account.

Back
Top Bottom