Join Early Retirement Today

Quicken replacements?
Old 01-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Quicken replacements?

Anyone know a good replacement software program for Quicken? I have years of dividend reinvestments I'd rather not type into a new software system, so is there anything out there that will read my old Quicken files and convert them? I just track spending and stock/mutual fund updates. I'm tired of buying a new Quicken every three years when they shut off the stock updates.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm also looking for a Quicken replacement but I'm concerned about finding software that will convert and use my Quicken Data file going back to 1992. A quick Google search has only shown this option Quicken Alternative - Personal Finance Software - Import

Here is some more information on acemoney but I would like to hear from some current users. AceMoney Review 2015 | Personal Accounting Software

Old 01-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like it's half the cost of Quicken, and imports the data. I'll buy a copy and check it out. Thanks for the links.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquernom View Post
Looks like it's half the cost of Quicken, and imports the data. I'll buy a copy and check it out. Thanks for the links.
It has a 30 day trial version, so no need to buy before you try.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #5

I tried a few alternatives last year, and none of them came close to Quicken. I think the problem is that Quicken has had literally decades to build up to what it is, and relies heavily on a core of software that is many years old, and a business model that keeps the cash flow supporting the kind of improvements necessary to keep the product ahead. The competitors are all hanging their hats on a lower price, which keeps them interminably unable to invest in what is needed to compete, and in promoting the fact that they're the little guy fighting the big guy, something which earns them sympathy but not business from me.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

MoneyDance can import QIF files exported from Quicken (or MS Money). It has a 30 day free trial during which you can import your data and see how you like it.

I used Quicken long ago. Switched to MS Money around 15 years ago using the QIF export/import technique. Switched to MoneyDance when MS Money was discontinued and used the QIF export/import technique. The import wasn't perfect. I recall spending some time cleaning up various glitches (usually fixing the opening balances on accounts).

My main gripe with MD is that its automatic downloads don't work with quite as many financial institutions as Quicken or MS Money. Most work fine, but I have to manually download a couple of my credit card accounts.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:27 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I just use an older version of Quicken (2004), input part of my data manually and the rest via QIF export/import from my main banking websites. Manual data entry doesn't take that long in any case an is somewhat offset by the learning curve of any new version I'd upgrade to. Besides, I'm retired so (in the minds of those who observe me) what else would I do with ALL that time I now have on my hands
Old 02-01-2015, 04:54 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquernom View Post
I'd also check it exports the data in a format commonly used by similar programs.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #9

Here's another list of alternatives, some already mentioned

5 Quicken Alternatives - Intuit Isn't The Only Company That Does Personal Finance Software - PCMech Report
Old 02-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I went with iBank for OSX (Macintosh).

I got several of the 'top contenders' which allowed free trial use for some days, and tried to import data from Quicken 2007 (the last Mac version that supported investment tracking and knew how to calculate long and short term capital gains. Math is hard...)

iBank 4 (and now 5) was the only version that could import almost two decades of Quicken data from a qif (Quicken Interchange Format) file, supported proper investment tracking (including fiddly IRS stuff like capital gains), and supported Open File Exchange (OFX) format banking downloads supported by my financial institutions. (Unlike Quicken, it isn't magically de-supported after three years.)

iBank 5 is a significant improvement over 4, and a really good Quicken replacement.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I went with iBank for OSX (Macintosh).

I got several of the 'top contenders' which allowed free trial use for some days, and tried to import data from Quicken 2007 (the last Mac version that supported investment tracking and knew how to calculate long and short term capital gains. Math is hard...)

iBank 4 (and now 5) was the only version that could import almost two decades of Quicken data from a qif (Quicken Interchange Format) file, supported proper investment tracking (including fiddly IRS stuff like capital gains), and supported Open File Exchange (OFX) format banking downloads supported by my financial institutions. (Unlike Quicken, it isn't magically de-supported after three years.)

iBank 5 is a significant improvement over 4, and a really good Quicken replacement.
Thanks, I just downloaded the demo and am checking it out right now. Seems pretty good!

Intuit just sent me an email saying they would soon be disabling functionality on the Essentials product I bought a year or two ago. I was not that happy with the product and Quicken 2015 seems to leave a bit to be desired as well.