Join Early Retirement Today

Quicken Upgrade Question
Old 01-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quicken Upgrade Question

I'm still using Quicken Deluxe 2017 but just purchased Quicken Deluxe 2019 on EBAY (cheap) and I'm getting ready to move over to the new version. That got me thinking about my current file which has got to be at least 15 years old and I do from time to time search for purchase information or run reports. Should I be creating a new file and starting fresh every year, I know they suggest a year end copy and also an option to archive records. Curious what others do, I'd still like to be able to access previous years info easily.
How easy is it to archive records and create new files and keep track of everything? Has anyone ran into problems doing this?
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I create a new file when there are so many transactions in the existing file that it starts to run slow... seems like every 3-5 years or so.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #3

I create a year-end copy every year, usually after I file our income tax forms.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #4

I started a new file in 2012, I don't do a EOY copy, but do save a copy of tax schedule and tax summary.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My file goes back to 2006 or so and is still peppy under Quicken 2017 Deluxe on Windows 8. If it ever bogs down I'll probably archive off everything through the end of the previous calendar year.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:20 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have transactions back to 1992! With Quicken for the Mac it's still fast.
sdtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I am going to use the same file I always have and make regular backups as I always have.

On a side note: 2017 still will work for downloads till April, I also purchased a 14 month subscription from FleaBay for ~$12. It is guaranteed to work until the end of 2020 and still give 14 months from registration date. I will wait till March to activate it and use my current 2017 version till then.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:59 AM   #8

I've used Quicken since the early 90s (maybe even the late 80s, I've lost track). Through the years, I've had a few files that just go so messed up with bad data that I started new files. Quicken wasn't (isn't?) always so good at working when the data gets corrupted by whatever means corrupts it. My general rule is to keep using the same file as long as I want. Every couple years, I will save off a copy as an archive and/or save and rename the file to match my current year. If you move to a completely new file, you lose a lot of the history. But sometimes, I just really wanted to start a new file. My current file has about 5 years of data in it.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

I just did the exact same thing last week (including using eBay).
FYI - Turbotax will not import from Quicken 97, so I decided to bite the bullet.

I did my usual and let it upgrade the existing file, and can happily report that everything works fine. Speed is consistent with where it had been, with no major slow downs. I can't recall when I started using Quicken, but a quick glance shows some transactions back to 1997. However some account trans start in 2000, when I believe I was forced to cleanup things.

Good Luck!
AmigaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I thought the versions of Quicken newer than 2017 were subscription based? You have to pay to use them every year?
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquernom View Post
I thought the versions of Quicken newer than 2017 were subscription based? You have to pay to use them every year?
Yes, 14 Month Subscriptions are $12.95 on eBay.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #12

Thanks for all the feedback. The file was actually created 12/31/2000 and like others have mentioned it still runs fine, no slowdowns at all. I think I'll save a final backup and copy all the info into a new file dated for 2020. I did run a file validate a couple of weeks ago and everything seemed to be fine. I will start start saving a copy of the Tax Schedule and Summary, I never did that before, never even thought of running it since my taxes are fairly straightforward.
I paid $9.99 with free shipping on EBAY, could not turn down that price although I was a little concerned that I was buying a valid copy but it seems to be genuine and factory sealed.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtech View Post
I have transactions back to 1992! With Quicken for the Mac it's still fast.

You got me beat by a year, mine goes back to 1993.
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Wow, people keeping data going back almost 30 years! I like this.

I started with Quicken only in mid-2010, so not quite 10 years. However, I have a lot more stock trades than expense transactions. My Quicken file is currently 117 MB. It is not running too slow, but I wonder about future performance.

Those posters with a long-time record, could you please tell me about your file size?

In comparison to Quicken, MS Money, which I used until they discontinued it, left me with a file size of 250MB after 10 years. And I did not make as many stock transactions then, nor used it to track expenses. This means Quicken is more efficient in storing data in its file.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't track any investments with it. I just use it for checking, money markets, credit cards and such. I also confess I quit using Quicken about 10 years ago when I switched to running Linux full time. I was able to export my transactions and import them into KMyMoney (free version for windozs and Linux) and have been using that since then. File size is 540KB.
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:33 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Those posters with a long-time record, could you please tell me about your file size?
First transaction December 2006, 123MB.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
133MB with some trans going back to 1997, most restart in 2000.
AmigaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

For some reason we did not start tracking since 2009. We lived on a boat and traveled about so did not use a financial program as we were too busy doing other things and living. When we purchased a permanent home in FLA that is when I started. No rigging, water makers, Auto Pilots, AC, or other boaty crap to fix on a daily basis.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #19

My Quicken file restart was 2012 and 94MB, Quicken keeps brokerage for forever it seems so my brokerage goes back to 2005. I have old files on thumb drives and disc, and floppy. I did buy a floppy drive to look one thing up years ago, none of my laptops have a CD/DVD.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #20

119MB and data from December 2000, no stock transactions. That's pretty amazing how small the file is.