Join Early Retirement Today

Rate that Fund
Old 10-24-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Rate that Fund

Does anyone have a site where I can look up various investment options and compare them to one another as to their performance over the last couple of years? *Looking at our 401k options for investing, it looks like we have 9 investment options (besides oil industry0 * and I don't know a thing about any of them. *Without reading in depth each of their histories, holdings, etc, I'd just rather look at something like morningstar ratings... but morningstar ratings only has one listed... and that one, fidelity magellan looks kind of crappy. *They have 2 stars on it.

Again........ financial idiot here.... so be please be kind *
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Rate that Fund
Old 10-24-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like www.fundalarm.com

If you are willing to post the names and symbols of the funds here, I have no doubt you would get lots of comments.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:56 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Only prob with M* is that most index funds don't always get the credit they deserve. M* is for mostly for active mgt. The high star ratings don't always work out either, in fact it has been a predictor of poor future results in many cases.

But without confusing you I would focus on low expense ratio funds (most here prefer index funds) across different asset classes (small cap fund, large cap, yada yada).
Old 10-24-2005, 11:03 AM   #4

I used to do that -- used Morningstar, and loved to find funds with five stars.

I have since decided that those ratings are pretty worthless. *We all know that past performance does not predict future performance, and those ratings are generally based on past performance.

I simply go with broad exposure index funds.

Brennan's book "Straight Talk on Investing" is a good read, and very helpful.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:55 AM   #5

Yahoo finance will give you a fair amount of info.
When you get to the quote page click on performance to see how the fund compares with other like funds.* I want my funds to be in the upper 30% for 6 mo, 1yr,* 3yr and longer is nice too.
Then you can click on charts to get a good visual as to how it performed against indexes and the other funds you are looking at.
It's a start anyway.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with the ignoring the star rating of M*, but I really do like their portfolio tool. You can basically throw all your funds in your 401k into it, and get a tabulated page of performance, expense ratios, etc. And I believe its free as long as you don't want their insight. (And they may have a max portfolio size as well, like number of funds)

Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ok, spent a lot of time looking at the funds available, looking at the list of holdings in each, checked their performance......... and .......... I think they stink.

MIGFX ...MFS Mass. Investors Growth Stock Fund ... looks like it's be not doing well or poorly for a long time.

TWCUX ...American Century - Twentieth Century Ultra Fund did nicely in the 80's and 90's but...... not now

AEPGX ...American Funds Europacific Growth Fund was't exciting either

ARGFX ...Ariel Fund, not much action for a long while, but maybe on the climb recently?

MABAX ... M.L. Basic Value Fund, Inc. did it's best work in the 90's but not as well anymore. And it probably higher risk? For WHAT? lol

TEMFX ...Templeton Foreign Fund is s l o w l y climbing now, did better in the 90's than now.

FMAGX ... Fidelity Magellan Fund ......... looks REALLY YUCKY!! 5 year avg. is NEGATIVE

Well, are they as boring and pitiful as they appear to this untrained eye? What's your opinions, would you invest much in them? which ones........

and hey, maybe I'm way off base and these are performing where they should be? They just look very, very, very slow to me.

Again, thanks for your help!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing you need to keep in mind, no stock fund will look attractive compared to the oil stock returns you had over the last few years. Stock funds are just a means to diversify. I really don't know much about the funds you have listed, but I will say take plenty of time to review and don't get into a hurry.*
Old 10-24-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm familiar with AEPGX, which has performed reasonably well for the past three years. The chart below shows it up approximately 35% over the past two years.

If this type of performance is not exciting to you, your level of expectation may need to be recalibrated.

Attached Images
File Type: png aepgx.png (9.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 10-24-2005, 02:19 PM   #10

We don't know anything about you and your other investments. *You allude to oil, but don't say anything about it.
Based on that high degree of darkness, here are some thoughts:

Everyone needs some foreign exposure. For that I like AEPGX. *Decent record and I like their holdings (from what I can see).
The TEMFX might turn out OK over time. I really respect the Templeton organization for foreign investments, but they can also have some clunkers.
The MABAX possibly will come around in time. Value stocks are out for a while IMO, but they certainly will be back.
Not the greatest choices, but AEPGX could prove to be the pony in all the HS.
Good luck
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:22 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

J, I spoke a lot about the oil stocks on another thread... I think something like "how are we doing".* Sorry, took for granted everyone was aware.* Thanks for the advice on the AEPGX.* Of all those I listed, I think it was the best... but it's only gone up 10 "points" ?? if that's what you call it in 2 years.* I guess that's what I should expect?* Things are very slow to grow I guess.*

Any others I should be thinking better of?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlybird
J, I spoke a lot about the oil stocks on another thread... I think something like "how are we doing". Sorry, took for granted everyone was aware. Thanks for the advice on the AEPGX. Of all those I listed, I think it was the best... but it's only gone up 10 "points" ?? if that's what you call it in 2 years. I guess that's what I should expect? Things are very slow to grow I guess.
In the past two years AEPGX has increased $10 (from $28 per share to $38 per share), an increase of 35% or an average of 17.5% per year. Most investors would consider this something considerably more than slow growth. Historically, equity markets have averaged something closer to 10% and many "experts" think the next few years will be less than that.

I suspect your recent experience with oil stocks may have given you an unrealistic expectation of the typical long-term returns one should expect in the equity market.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:42 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am afraid you are right, REW, and I am embarrassed. I need to calm down and stop expecting so much.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I'm familiar with AEPGX, which has performed reasonably well for the past three years.* The chart below shows it up approximately 35% over the past two years.

If this type of performance is not exciting to you, your level of expectation may need to be recalibrated.

ReWahoo: In keeping with the spirit of the thread, I want you to know that your chart caused heavy breathing on my part.

However, since I have all available funds tied up with Chicago White Sox to beat those "upstart Texans", it's a moot point.

Ozzie's a pip!

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
ReWahoo: In keeping with the spirit of the thread, I want you to know that your chart caused heavy breathing on my part.
Jarhead: Sorry, didn't realize you suffered from chart arousal. If the conditon persists for more than four hours, consult an economist...