Join Early Retirement Today

Rates to Stay Low
Old 04-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rates to Stay Low

This article strikes me as about right. With the Federal Govt. getting serious about cutting spending, the Federal Reserve will likely keep its 'exceptional accommodation' in place for a long time to help offset the fiscal drag. Anyone waiting (hoping) for higher rates, may still be waiting a long time.

Bernanke, Bond Market, Signals No Shift With Deficit Cutting

Quote:
The economy already looks set to suffer a fiscal hit to growth of about one percentage point next year as a temporary cut in payroll taxes and other stimulus measures expire, said Mark Zandi, chief economist in West Chester, Pennsylvania, at Moody’s Analytics. Any budget pact would be on top of that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Of course, an alternative way to say all this is: "The war on savers wages on..."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wonder if we're heading down the same path as Japan ... 20+ years later they STILL have rates too low.

Meanwhile a 15 year adjustable mortgage I've carried will be paid off this summer. Rate has simply been too low to pre-pay.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Of course, an alternative way to say all this is: "The war on savers wages on..."
And on retirees who count on interest payments.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm not sure there is an alternative. Higher rates wouldn't help savers if it also sends the economy in the tank, especially if those savers also happen to be workers. And term interest rates would almost certainly fall in response to Fed tightening, not rise, which is something very few people recognize.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
I wonder if we're heading down the same path as Japan ... 20+ years later they STILL have rates too low.
That is what the Fed is trying to avoid.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
And on retirees who count on interest payments.
Yeah, that's scary! We're sitting good now on an IRA CD at 4.65% that matures in 2014. Another large CD at 4.5% that matures in 2014 as well. What then? I'm thinking rates have to be back up by 2014 but I'm not so sure anymore. Best I see advertized now is 2.5% for a 5 year CD. On the IRA CD, I have to take a RMD every year. Kills me!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote