Join Early Retirement Today

Ray Lucia now doing Hyundai Commercials?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ray Lucia now doing Hyundai Commercials?

What is this with the financial gurus needing extra pocket change? First Scott Burns starts his own fee-based planning firm, now Ray Lucia is out hawking Hyundais??

What's the world coming to??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

They're out of jobs?
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
They're out of jobs?
Maybe it's to beef up their retirement funds..........

Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I may be old - but any chance to impress the chicks? - it's a male hormone thing.

They sneak in everywhere. I keep tellin ya!

heh heh heh - about a month to regular football and this year maybe 'the stock' that gets me to that villa in the Bahamas and ?Saint's in the playoff's - let alone Superbowl.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Maybe it's to beef up their retirement funds..........
Isn't that all anybody on this board works for?
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
Isn't that all anybody on this board works for?
I guess I would have thought Ray and Scott would be FIRED by now.....kinda makes me wonder how good their advice is.........

Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Lucia's pretty greedy - always hawking his books, seminars, affiliates, whatever.

I think he's one of those successful (?) people where the line is blurry between money being the means versus the ends.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Maybe one of his buckets has sprung a leak...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Old 07-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Those commercials have been playing for several months now. I think they took "Buckets of Money" and morphed it into "Cars Stuffed with Money". It's a stretch - but Ray sure looks cheerful to be doing those commercials....

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Maybe one of his buckets has sprung a leak..
My bucket #3 has been leaky for a year now.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

There is as much chance of me buying a Hyundai as there is that I would turn to Ray Lucia for serious financial advice.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

What I found shocking is that the script calls for people recognizing him, knowing who he is and what he wrote. Better than a book tour. If you quizzed me, I couldn't tell you which car was being hyped.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake46 View Post
There is as much chance of me buying a Hyundai as there is that I would turn to Ray Lucia for serious financial advice.
Actually, I think his 'buckets' strategy is pretty sound. It's really just a special type of asset allocation where instead of looking at allocating *percentages* of your portfolio into various asset classes, you look at allocating a number of years of income in each type.

Actually I think it makes more sense than allocating by percentages in some cases -- those who need 1% of their portfolio each year can certainly take more risk than someone who needs 4% -- but it's not something I'd pay someone a lot of money to implement for me.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Actually, I think his 'buckets' strategy is pretty sound. It's really just a special type of asset allocation where instead of looking at allocating *percentages* of your portfolio into various asset classes, you look at allocating a number of years of income in each type.

Actually I think it makes more sense than allocating by percentages in some cases -- those who need 1% of their portfolio each year can certainly take more risk than someone who needs 4% -- but it's not something I'd pay someone a lot of money to implement for me.
I agree with the his buckets strategy in a conceptual sense. I would certainly not sign up with his firm to manage my portfolio though.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It's a stretch - but Ray sure looks cheerful to be doing those commercials....

Audrey
That's because he gets to keep the car as-is.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
That's because he gets to keep the car as-is.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

i like rays bucket system alot. been using it about 2 years now. never lost a nights sleep
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
What is this with the financial gurus needing extra pocket change? First Scott Burns starts his own fee-based planning firm, now Ray Lucia is out hawking Hyundais??
What's the world coming to??
At least Scott Burns has cheerfully admitted that he'll never retire, and maybe he still hasn't emotionally recovered from being let go at his last newspaper job. Or perhaps he's helping his good buddy Kotlikoff stay gainfully employed.

As for Lucia, I think he's just jealous that Suze got to flog GM buckets products...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
As for Lucia, I think he's just jealous that Suze got to flog GM buckets products...
If Lucia starts calling female callers "girlfriend," then I'll know it's really all over.