Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

RE and mortgages for ER
Old 05-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RE and mortgages for ER

Here's an article about retirees and real estate

real-estate-nightmares-for-retirees-marketwatch: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

It goes over the usual "to downsize or not" and "falling equity" stuff and then there is a nice bit that summarizes the two sides of the "pay down the mortgage or not" argument.

Quote:
For his part, Amromin said it is difficult to think of a scenario in which paying down the mortgage would be advantageous. "Assuming refinancing is an option, current low interest rates should allow for a cheap way of financing the remainder of the mortgage, potentially generate tax deductions, and free up money for alternative investments," Amromin said.

Meanwhile, the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College published a study in 2009 suggesting that all except a small minority of households are better off paying down their mortgage before entering retirement. In 2007, for instance, an increasing proportion of Americans were entering retirement with a mortgage. In fact, 41% of household aged 60 to 69 had a mortgage that year and, at least at the time, 51% had sufficient assets to pay down their mortgage. "These households could, if they wanted, be mortgage-free simply by selling some of their investments and mailing a check to the lender," Anthony Webb, the study's author, wrote at the time.
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As an ER I'm strong cash flow wise, but asset poor. If I had to pay off mortgage before retiring, I would be nowhere close to retiring! Mortgage fits comfortably inside monthly budget, so I don't worry about it much. I add a couple hundred extra on payment to help whittle it down though.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes it is always better to hold a mortgage , but the emphasis is on at current mortgage rates. The current mortgage rates are the lowest ever. It becomes much less of a good thing at just a couple % higher, and it becomes a very bad thing after another couple %.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
Yes it is always better to hold a mortgage , but the emphasis is on at current mortgage rates. The current mortgage rates are the lowest ever. It becomes much less of a good thing at just a couple % higher, and it becomes a very bad thing after another couple %.
So you'd suggest anyone with a paid off home go get a mortgage and invest the money somewhere?
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The "payoff the mortgage early" debate? Again?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This makes sense to me.

I paid off my 7% mortgage instead of refinancing to these historically low rates. The alternative might have been financially wiser but I prefer the peace of mind of being debt-free.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
So you'd suggest anyone with a paid off home go get a mortgage and invest the money somewhere?

If it were me, I would do it in an instant. My problem is not only do I not have my mortgage paid off, I don't have a large enough $$$ chunk to pay it in full.

If I was debt free, I would get a mortgage on the home at current rates and put it in the market based on my current portfolio. It feels a little different (at least to me) having a "cash" balance that could cover the mortgage, if the need arose.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
Read this first, and then let us know if you still have any questions:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ney-30644.html

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
My current RE exposure is limited to some Admiral shares in my Vanguard REIT Roth account, in addition to my home.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

When mortgage rates were historically high, we paid off our mortgages. Now that they are historically low, we are not paying off our mortgage.

We will enter retirement with a sizable mortgage, but it looks like we are going to have enough in one of our taxable account to pay off the mortgage at any time. Our gut feeling is that eventually interest rates will rise beyond the rate of our fixed rate mortgage and holding the mortgage will be a hedge against inflation.
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes it is always better to hold a mortgage , but the emphasis is on at current mortgage rates. ....

That is too narrow and makes many assumptions... as if using your homes leverage guarantees an investment return/spread (on riskier assets) without risk of loss.

Any significant impairment (for any reason) in retirement in the withdrawal phase would probably leave the person worse off.... maybe much worse off with little chance of recovery without taking even higher risk.

People do it.... But they are putting their house in play! Maybe it will work out. But if they, or something or someone else screws up... they get the consequences.

Nothing is free.

I do not consider my home an investment, but a cost of living that happens to be a physical asset. But I do look at it as diversification of assets. I also think owning it mitigates certain risks of adverse events.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote