Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Getting Everything You can From The State?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:31 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but that penguin was doing that face plant each and every dang day!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2005, 12:22 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We have both paid into the systems in BOTH countries for about 15 - 16 years in each of them, and will not qualify for any SS from either that is worth anything, so I do not feel I am taking advantage of the System(s) if I get a few bucks back.
SWR, the record seems to have been edited, so I am just guessing that was you writing that sentence.

Whoever it was should be aware that many countries have what are called bilateral totalization agreements for social security. If such an agreement is in place, one or both countries may give credit for time spent working in the other. You could make out like a bandit and it never hurts to ask. Start reading here.

Of course, that may put you on par with the other enlightened "I deserve every penny I get but everyone else collecting even a nickel is a scum-sucking welfare bum" posters.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:52 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Of course, that may put you on par with the other enlightened "I deserve every penny I get but everyone else collecting even a nickel is a scum-sucking welfare bum" posters.

Nevermind "other posters", the country now has a whole party that believes "I deserve every penny I get but everyone else collecting even a nickel is a scum-sucking welfare bum"...its the new platform of the republican party.

farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was determined not to revisit this, but I must. I must!

I don't see why it matters what you "paid in" nor what
"you deserve". If it's available, take it and run. For
those who think the government has taken your money and is using it for noble purposes..........
well, you have my pity and are beyond help IMHO.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #25

Hey, if you got it coming why not? We lined up for our gummint cheese back in the mid nineties.

YUM
Old 03-28-2005, 04:34 PM   #26

Quote:

I've been waiting for someone to suggest a serial retirement plan, where someone would draw max unemployment benefits go back to work for the minimum amount of time to qualify for more unemployment benefits <get fired & retired> and then repeat - repeat - repeat... *
Oh it's been done! I used to read the weblog of a woman in NYC who loved directing theater, but couldn't get a paying job at it - she apparently was pretty much living on unemployment, ony went back to work for short spurts to get requalified for more unemployment... I've run across several similar stories (must be the only people who have time for weblogs!?!)

Now this made ME sick, but there are many out there who feel that's why unemployment exists, and they are fully entitled to it. Most of them are not running businesses and paying unemployment taxes. I think the system is so easily abused that people don't even understand it as "wrong."

We all make our moral decisions and live with them.

Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #27

Good for you, Sheryl.

Cheers,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:01 AM   #28

Quote:

Oh it's been done! I used to read the weblog of a woman in NYC who loved directing theater, but couldn't get a paying job at it - she apparently was pretty much living on unemployment, ony went back to work for short spurts to get requalified for more unemployment... I've run across several similar stories (must be the only people who have time for weblogs!?!)

Now this made ME sick, but there are many out there who feel that's why unemployment exists, and they are fully entitled to it. Most of them are not running businesses and paying unemployment taxes. I think the system is so easily abused that people don't even understand it as "wrong."

We all make our moral decisions and live with them.

Right on sheryl,

I don't mind those collecting unemployment for a few extra months. Its the ones collecting disability for life who are healthier than I am, that steams my bean. I hear those stories all the time "Got into a fight with an inmate," " Fell off the utility pole," "Breaks went out on the squadcar," "Slipped on jello in the cafeteria". My neighborhood is full of 40somethings collecting fat monthly checks for life. I hate those guys and once in a great while I secretly hate not being one of them.

BUM
Old 03-29-2005, 03:44 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

More on ethics:

1. A survey by Rutgers Management Education Center found 75% of students engage in "serious" cheating.

2. The U.S. Department of Commerce estimates 30% of business failures result from employee theft.

3. CCH does a yearly employee absense survey. Recent findings of reasons for unscheduled absenses were that:
- 28% due to illness
- 26% due to family issues
- 20% due to personal needs
- 11% due to stress and
- 15% due to an entitlment mentality

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:14 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And 98.7% of marketing guys make stuff up.

Last year I got a knock on the door. My neighbor was there with his ~7 year old kid to confess that the kid hit my dads window with a ball and made a scratch on it that I could hardly see even when he pointed it out.

I told my wife then that we'd never be moving. This is a perfect neighborhood for my kid to grow up in. The parents teach their children personal responsibility and owning up for their actions...even if those actions might go unnoticed.

What...about .2% of the people in the US follow the mantra that they own their own lives and are accountable for their own actions?!?

I'd rather have a rotten kid that takes responsibility for what he does than a really great kid that tries to put the blame on others or ducks his responsibilities.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:38 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Right on sheryl,

I don't mind those collecting unemployment for a few extra months. Its the ones collecting disability for life who are healthier than I am, that steams my bean. I hear those stories all the time "Got into a fight with an inmate," " Fell off the utility pole," "Breaks went out on the squadcar," "Slipped on jello in the cafeteria". My neighborhood is full of 40somethings collecting fat monthly checks for life. I hate those guys and once in a great while I secretly hate not being one of them.

BUM
Bum, you must be talkin about me! 28 years on the job then bam hurt back, actually it was 3 back op's since 98 then bam. Believe me this is not what I would have wanted, but now that I'm here I make no apologies and ask for no pitty. I consider my diability money, insurance because that what it is. Very few cheat at this, but that is all you hear about. Out of all the people you know on disablity have you ever asked them what it's like to have a disablity? Luckly we only have to deal with forms, lawyers and pissed off employers and not the people who have all the answers because they seen on TV someone who was cheating the system. Much more common is the person who is hurt but screwed over by a employer who would rather fight for years then pay a fair claim. They end up starving people out then offering a less than fair settlement. Do you ever hear about that? Won't make for good TV, but it's a lot more likley. Think about where you here these stories that you claim to hear all the time Bum. TV where even the news now has a politcal bent to it.....Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:28 PM   #32

Quote:
HI Dreamer! *Re. "I do not want anyone to pay for my loafing." *Why not? *The government extorts and
steals your money and you don't want it back?
I don't get it.

JG
Who is the government? And how do they get elected?

Do we, as a nation, really vote for honest candidates who insist upon doing what is correct for the overall benefit of the country?

At the end of the day, we'll get the government that we deserve....

Gotta run, the Easter Bunny is knocking at my door...

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:34 AM   #33

Well, I am not sure if I get "the government
I deserve", since I never vote so in that sense I had no
overt hand in putting them into office. Mark Twain said
"Don't vote! It just encourages them!"

In spite of my workaholic rugged individualist mantra
(pre ER), I loved collecting unemployment comp. If I
could have collected in perpetuity, I might have been
ERed years earlier. "Money for Nothing" (Dire Straits)
Great song! Great concept!

JG

MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

Quote:

I hate those guys and once in a great while I secretly hate not being one of them.

BUM
If you're reffering to someone "you know" is gaming the system, i.e. you've somehow taken over their body, lived in their shoes literally, felt their pain, tried to maintain a normal life, when you have to struggle to get thru the day, etc, then I understand your secret wish.

However if you would like to trade your health for my DW's disability pension, she'd trade with you in a heartbeat.

When you have to watch someone play-in-pain every day of their lives, and sometimes string together a whole bunch of bad days in a row, you get a better understanding of what it's all about. There are plenty of people that have learned to put on a brave face when interacting in the outside world, but are living a way-not-so-great life underneath. Why should we share with you how she feels right now? Why should she burden you with how she feels right now?

Sure Bum we hate them too ( the few that successfully game the system when in fact they have NO INJURY), but watch what you wish for... DW is only 49, I sure DO NOT look forward to what she gets to experience (painwise) for the rest of her life.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:07 PM   #35

Quote:

However if you would like to trade your health for my DW's disability pension, she'd trade with you in a heartbeat. *

True Words Jonnym! I have a young lady aquaintance (33) who will never be pain free and has good and bad days but the good days are about equal to a healthy persons worst day. She puts on a good face and does not let it get her down so most people do not know she is in pain. I admire her courage and strength greatly.

Bruce
Old 04-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #36

I have never collected unemployment. If I needed to collect it I would, but I feel very fortunate not to have had that need!

I work in a gov job and I get 12 sick days a year. I can't remember the last time that I used any sick days. It probably was when I had my daughter and she is 16 years old. When I need to go to the doctor's or dentist, I either use vacation days or compensatory time. I feel very fortunate to be very healthy!

I have tried very hard to raise my children with the same values that I have and I would definitely choose to live with the same values as the people in your neighborhood do, TH.

God has been very good to our family and I know that I will stand before him some day. I have my share of faults and sins, but I try to live so that I will not be completely ashamed when I stand before him.

JohnG, these are my values and they might seem pretty silly to you, but I am glad that this is who I am. I might need some services from public agencies someday, and if I do I will use them, but I am going to do my best not to get in that situation. I do enjoy your posts and your sense of freedom and style!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Well, I am not sure if I get "the government
I deserve", *since I never vote so in that sense I had no
overt hand in putting them into office. *Mark Twain said
"Don't vote! *It just encourages them!"

In spite of my workaholic rugged individualist mantra
(pre ER), I loved collecting unemployment comp. *If I
could have collected in perpetuity, I might have been
ERed years earlier. *"Money for Nothing" *(Dire Straits)
Great song! *Great concept!

JG

Hey JG,

I'll have to disagree with you and Mr. Twain about (not) voting.

But I do like Dire Straits

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote