Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Reading Estate Financial Statements
Old 01-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Reading Estate Financial Statements

Hi,

I'm curious as I want to buy estate in the future, where do I find a good article/resource to learn to read real estate financial statements?

I appreciate any help,
-Felipe
FelipeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am confused. Do you want to buy stock in a firm such as Dependable Monthly Income from Real Estate - Realty Income Overview , do you wan t purchase a home or condo to rent to others, or do you want to buy a home to live in?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

I didn't realize stocks were offered in estate rentals. I'm curious about buying land/property for renting out. I see lots of properties around for sale but I don't know how to read the financials. I'm not ready to buy but I'm ready to begin researching so I can find some good deals and get some rental income before I graduate.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Find yourself a "buyers agent", don't deal directly with the listing agent. The listing agent, and other non buyers agents have an obligation to the SELLER, not you.

Find yourself a quality property management firm that knows the applicable law, can do financial checks, ect.. Get them involved with your search. They "know" good rentals areas, deals, etc., and they have the contacts with inspectors, mechanics, etc., to get stuff done at a lot less cost then you finding a plumber on your own…
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I could give you my Schedule E's ... err nevermind.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Okay got it, thank you, opened up my perspective.

So this is what I'll file with every year: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040se.pdf

A property management firm- NorCal Property Management - West San Jose - San Jose, CA | Yelp they seem to get a very good average review.

A buyer's agent like Zillow Buyer's Agent, Real Estate Agents, REALTORS® - Zillow or yelp to find a quality one Buyers agent San Jose, CA or would you recommend another?

In summary: use a buyer's agent to find a good rental property for cash flow, set up with a property management firm to maintain the property and file my schedule E each year to pay taxes, sound about right?