Join Early Retirement Today

Ready to launch
Old 03-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Ready to launch

It looks like years of planning have prepared me to take a new path. I had a heart attack just before Thanksgiving last year so I've been on paid disability leave since. Currently I'm doing cardiac rehab 3X a week and will complete around May 1. The plan then is to take my accrued vacation that should take me to June 1. The last few months have allowed me to weigh all the alternatives and this seems to be the best path.

The company HR department is sending paperwork to apply for long-term disability but I'm not sure I'll qualify or if I'd even be willing to jump through any hoops. I'm just done.

Having worked full time since I was 16, I'm ready to try something different.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbidness View Post
It looks like years of planning have prepared me to take a new path. I had a heart attack just before Thanksgiving last year so I've been on paid disability leave since. Currently I'm doing cardiac rehab 3X a week and will complete around May 1. The plan then is to take my accrued vacation that should take me to June 1. The last few months have allowed me to weigh all the alternatives and this seems to be the best path.

The company HR department is sending paperwork to apply for long-term disability but I'm not sure I'll qualify or if I'd even be willing to jump through any hoops. I'm just done.

Having worked full time since I was 16, I'm ready to try something different.
Is it a matter of formality that HR is sending you the LTD forms?
I would at least look at the paperwork and consult with your physician.
My mom tells me that the LTD for one year is almost guaranteed.
If that is the case, I'd do it.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
Is it a matter of formality that HR is sending you the LTD forms?
I would at least look at the paperwork and consult with your physician.
It was HRs idea. I had previously suggested to my cardiologist that I may apply for long-term disability and he wasn't supportive. My job is a combination of desk work and physical work so while I believe I could do the job, I think it would probably shorten my life. I don't have the same strength and endurance I had before. Every pain I have now makes me stop and think.

I'll just go through the motions and see what happens. I'm afraid expending lots of effort to get a rather small benefit would be more stressful than actually working.

Since I have adequate net worth I'd like to enjoy my life rather than banging heads with an insurance company.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #4

I would at least look into LTD.
Why not take that 1 year of 60% pay if there aren't any hoops?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Because he would rather get on with his new life than fill out forms for the next year?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just curious - did your cardiologist elaborate as to why he/she was not supportive of you applying for LTD? In light of the fact you believe that continuing to w*rk would diminish your quality of life, it seems a bit surprising the physician is not more supportive.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
Just curious - did your cardiologist elaborate as to why he/she was not supportive of you applying for LTD? In light of the fact you believe that continuing to w*rk would diminish your quality of life, it seems a bit surprising the physician is not more supportive.
He didn't go into detail as to why he wouldn't support LTD. As a matter of fact he wanted to sign my release to return to work before I completed cardiac rehab. I just decided I wouldn't cooperate.

I guess I could find another doctor or just leave the paperwork with his receptionist and see what happens. "Balls in your court doc."
Old 03-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbidness View Post
he wouldn't support LTD
So the "bad" news is that you're not going to get LTD. The good news is that you must have recovered quite nicely. Congratulations. I'm with you, forget the LTD and get on with your new life. You've see the light and recognize there's more to life than work or trying to game the system. Good that you've prepared and can make that choice. Take advantage of it and enjoy.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Because he would rather get on with his new life than fill out forms for the next year?
Why would it be for the entire year?

Isn't it once and done and evaluate at the end of the year?
Old 03-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
You've see the light and recognize there's more to life than work or trying to game the system.
It isn't "gaming" the system if the OP is indeed eligible for LTD.
It's up to him, but if he isn't feeling 100% and his cardiologist is saying that the OP is, then there is a bigger problem than applying for LTD.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had to pay for my ST/LTD insurance, so I certainly wouldn't have felt guilty for using it if I had "qualified" for it.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

LTD usually takes effect when STD runs out. This covers longer recoup time... or permanent disability.
After a pacemaker I went back to work the day I was released from the hospital. This was a day after surgery. Work had expected I'd be out several months at least. The CTO told me to take a week or two at least.

I would ask you doctor why he feels as he does.

What I had is completely different than the OP.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Before my heart attack my plan was to retire after April 1 of this year. My rehab time and vacation will take me long past that date. It would defeat the intent of retirement to replace the stress of work with the stress of something else. I'll have to continue to weigh the cost/benefit. I won't deny the LTD money would be an unexpected windfall.