Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Real estate as an investment
Old 05-01-2003, 10:06 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Wayne! Thanks for your input. You don't have all the details, but that's because I did not provide them.
Anyway, you make a good case for just keeping the
house as rental property when we get done using it
ourselves. That would avoid any capital gains
tax issues indefinitely.
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2003, 12:43 AM   #22

This may be the only message I write here, and I'm not
too good with computers, but here goes. After I finished
college I worked a bunch of jobs at the same time to save some money. This was in silicon valley before the house prices went crazy(graduated with a degree in marine biology in 1985). I first bought one rental house, then had my parents trade some land for a four-plex. After a couple of years we traded both for a 14 unit apartment. After about 5 years we traded into part ownership of a 68 unit building. Right after that the rents went crazy! We didn't gouge our tenants though. When I was 35, and my first child was due in two weeks, I quit! I hated my low paying job, and we got by on a tight budget. Within a year the rental income was about 5 times my income. Now it's almost 10 times. It's been 5 years, we have a 4 year old and a 1 year old keeping us so busy!!!! All my real estate deals did not make money, but if you're in the right property at the right time it can work. Good luck
Old 07-20-2003, 08:08 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Real Estate definately isn't for everyone, although neither are stocks, bonds, cd's, etc.

I have been slowly building a small real estate company while running the other company that supports us and our investment strategy. Currently we are only up to three properties (1 commercial, 2 residential). My hope is to sell my other company in 3-5 years and live off our investments as well as run this company 20-30 hours per week. (Yes, this is ER for the workaholics among us that work 60-80/wk.)

In my current position, the tax advantages make the income form this company very advantagis. My hope is that this entity will also produce tax advantages that will help further in the ER stage while we live off our portfolio income.

Are tenants a pain? They can be, but aren't most people who are paying you money? (ie. job?)

Regards & Best Wishes,

Bob

Old 07-20-2003, 06:22 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Has anyone has found a web site for small RE investors. We hae some residential rentals but have never found a site that address this market.

RYD
RYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:25 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

RYD - Not a lot of info, but I have used landlord.com to look up some rule in CO, and for browsing thru information.

Also loopnet.com has real estate listings, which I use for information. You have to subscribe to get full listings, but the free ones are fine for my purposes.

You didn't say what kind of info you were looking for - property info, management info, etc. I found the book 'every landlords legal guide" useful.

There are also landlords associations, but I have not pursued joining any of them. The one near me sounds good, but I'm not sure it is worth the expense.

Wayne
wzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 06:59 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

I haven't found a ttuly "solid" website in and of itself for Real Estate investing. I think the old adage holds true, anyone on the internet can claim to be an expert.

Mostly, I model the successes of others that have been there. Seems to be working so far. My current venture is single family HUD foreclsures, of which there are quite a few these days.

Perhaps this forum would serve us well as a new website?
Old 07-27-2003, 09:06 AM   #27

Although a fair amount of my meager pile was the
result of real estate investing, I was never involved in a big way, at least as far as my day to day activities were concerned.
I always felt comfortable with real estate, but mostly just "danced around the edges" and got lucky a few times. I thought at one time that this would be my
"part time work" after I semiretired. Didn't turn out that
way. Although I am still most interested in real estate
in all its forms, any active participation is behind me now. It's mostly an age/energy level thing. Interesting
that I feel like I built up a huge stockpile of real estate
knowledge. Probably enough for a couple of books at least. Alas, too lazy now to write them.
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 06:04 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

We have been working with someone who manages a number of rentals. What we have learned is that we have neither the people skills or the handyman skills to be effective at this. If all you can bring to the table is money, you should probably stick to REIT's.
baanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 11:17 AM   #29

I'm considering a "fixer-upper" deal. Buy a single family home in coastal carolina $150k or so... landscape, new kitchen, some paint, carpets. List for $225K six months later.

SOMEBODY talk me out of it!

BUM
Old 03-20-2004, 11:30 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Here are two points to talk you out of it.

Can you fix it up and sell it before hurricane season?

Fixer-uppers can be profitable, but not if you sell them as fixer-uppers.

I have known several people who have overestimated their willingness to finish the job. They got exhausted about a third of the way through. Don't buy something challenging. Buy something very simple. It will turn out to be as much as you can handle.

Have fun.

John R.
JWR1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 05:40 PM   #31

My rule of thumb is to buy properties where most of the value is in the land rather than in the house, and that's generally the case with anything "coastal". The other nice thing about costal land is supply and demand. I've never seen the supply go up or the demand go down.

As far as fixers go, my only caveat would be to watch out for water damage. It's amazing how pervasive water damage can be. Inevitably, it'll have destroyed something structural. And if you thought building a house from scratch was hard, try replacing structural members while the structure is already in place.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 05:33 AM   #32

I have owned all kinds of real estate in four different states. Through good luck (or maybe I made my own luck), in recent years it has been mostly waterfront
or at least water view. We currently own our main home
on a big river in Illinois, a condo we just bought in Texas
which is a chip shot from the largest lake in the state,
and the "Ranch", also in Texas and close to the same lake. No water on that property unless you count the 2 stock ponds
which are real pretty except in dry seasons. This stuff is about 50% of my net worth and currently has a negative
cash flow. However, it is all well located and "bought right" so I am quite comfortable with it. Can see why
others might not be however.

John Galt
Old 04-11-2004, 06:00 AM   #33

This happened yesterday. I noticed that one of the
neighbors has put their place up for sale, so I stopped and picked up an info sheet from the little box attached
to the "FOR SALE" sign. 200 feet of river frontage
and 2 cottages (smaller but nice) for $129,900!!!!!!!!!!!
When I got home and showed my wife, she says
"Let's buy it, that's the deal of the century!" Well, I agree it's the deal of the century, or something close.
However (A) I am "land poor" at the moment (B)
I am trying to simplify my life and (C) No matter how you
slice it this looks like work to me. Ten years ago
the sellers would have had my offer by now. Five
years ago I would have been crunching numbers
furiously. Now, I will happily let someone else buy it.

John Galt
Old 04-11-2004, 10:21 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the other hand, what you've been doing so far has been working for you...so why change now

Place needs work? Find a nice couple that you can let live in the property rent free in exchange for a maintenance and repair schedule. Hire a management company to rent it out.

Just buy it, tweak it a little, raise the sales price to make a small profit and wait for the sale.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 04:51 PM   #35

Hello Cut-throat! I owned a bunch of land here in
Illinois. We only used it for hunting and I don't hunt any more. I sold it all over the past 2 years and moved all
the money into Texas real estate, which entails more
bother and more expense. However, I think it will work out just
fine. Stay tuned for periodic updates.

John Galt
Old 09-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I sold it all over the past 2 years and moved all
the money into Texas real estate, which entails more
bother and more expense. However, I think it will work out just
fine. Stay tuned for periodic updates.
John Galt
John
Sounds like you made the right move when everybody else was zagging. Seems like Texas real estate has been achieving a steady double digit appreciation and has kept that up through the "bubble". Would love to hear an update.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

That'd be tough since the guy hasnt posted here in about 3 years.

Nothing else to do with your day, I take it?

I can help you with the end result though. [moderator edit]

I guess that real estate ownership thing isnt all its cracked up to be.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
John
Sounds like you made the right move when everybody else was zagging. Seems like Texas real estate has been achieving a steady double digit appreciation and has kept that up through the "bubble". Would love to hear an update.
So, you are replying to a post that's over 4 years old?! Slow day?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
That'd be tough since the guy hasnt posted here in about 3 years.

Nothing else to do with your day, I take it?

[moderator edit]

I guess that real estate ownership thing isnt all its cracked up to be.
Well obviously more time than someone keeping up to the minute dossiers on posters 3 years long gone.

Well Eagle Eye, you do make a strong argument for keeping the mortgage. They would have required flood insurance. And don't fault the plan or product when the only problem was implementation. Are you sure your intel is correct? I'd like to think even Wab/Twaddle is lurking still looking for tips to 50% off beach front property.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Well obviously more time than someone keeping up to the minute dossiers on posters 3 years long gone.
Yeah, but that infos a year old and I only knew about it because they interviewed him on the news.

G'bye Boob