Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Real estate-- calling the top.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:50 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher
RE WaHoo & JG,
The Texas heritage posse are reading your posts very carefully. You have been warned.
It is suggested you focus on propeerty taxes, gun enthusiast neighbors, Texas property rights, red state politics, noxious plants and critters.

We know where you live and nearby members have been alerted. Next offense may warrent a field trial followed by tar and feathers. Continued violations may incur more drastic measures.
Hey! I posted a link to a $550,000, 70-year old run-down shack. Not even a left-coaster, punch drunk from the California real estate wars would go for that deal. At least not when they got a look at their "lake rat" neighbors. Those folks don't take kindly to people who still have all their teeth...

Harumphh...Texas heritage posse...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2005, 01:54 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Hey!* I posted a link to a $550,000, 70-year old run-down shack.* Not even a left-coaster, punch drunk from the California real estate wars would go for that deal.
I hear the surfing there sucks too.

OK, how 'bout this $743K 4 BR 2.5 BA 16-year-old of 1800 sq ft on a 7800 sq ft lot with a pool & waterfall landscaping? No view, neighbors on three sides, noisy street a block away, huge A/C electricity bills... first (and probably only) open tomorrow. Nearly three-quarters of a million dollars.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 03:56 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
As has already been pointed out, it's not houses that appreciate, but the land.
To a degree, that is true.* Zoning boards restrict the amount of land that can be used to build on, which increases the cost of land zoned for building.

Still, I have noticed that when homes deteriorate to the point where they are condemned by the city, they tend to get real cheap, land notwithstanding.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:20 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Yes, that's true. In a free market, homes would gradually fall in price as they aged, and thus come closer to falling apart.
We live in a building more than 100 years old. This thing is solid. Better built than most 1970s-80s homes.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:05 PM   #45

The house I live in was built in the 1950s.* Still going strong, but it still won't last forever.* I have a hard time seeing it as worth more each year, but perhaps unknown to me homes actually improve with age.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:05 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
...but perhaps unknown to me homes actually improve with age.
Maybe, in comparison, much of the existing housing stock just looks better than the cr*p they are building today?

omni
Old 10-30-2005, 06:31 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
We live in a building more than 100 years old.* This thing is solid.* Better built than most 1970s-80s homes.*
Martha, have you been able to retrofit with hi-R insulation? I would imagine that insulation is very important where you are.

Ha
Old 10-30-2005, 07:24 PM   #48

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Here's what you can get in Bellingham WA for about the same price range that*other folks have posted.*
*sigh* My old stomping ground I miss that place.... it's just not affordable to live there anymore. CA prices without the CA payrolls.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:15 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
OK, how 'bout this $743K 16-year-old of 1800 sq ft on a 7800 sq ft lot with a pool & waterfall landscaping? No view, neighbors on three sides, noisy street a block away, huge A/C electricity bills... first (and probably only) open tomorrow. Nearly three-quarters of a million dollars.
Oh yeah? How about this??!

$325k for a 900 square foot house with the roof almost devoid of shingles, siding deteriorated and falling off, havent even seen the interior but I'll bet it makes the outside look good. Quarter acre with about 25 years worth of dead cars on it, several of which I'm sure have voided their gas, oil and antifreeze into the ground. A huge ditch dug in the front and rear to mitigate water collection when it rains and help with potential flooding as this sucker is about 4' below the water level of some nearby rice paddies. Neighborhood looks like most of the neighbors aspire to someday rise to the level of welfare trash. Nearby orchards assure early morning heavy machinery abiance along with the aroma of regular pesticide spraying. Daily flood watering of the orchard also ensures a steady supply of west nile laden mosquitos.

All near beautiful downtown Sutter, California, which boasts a post office, small convenience store, bait shop (which also sells sushi I hear), and a suspicious looking burger joint that never has a car in the parking lot. Oh yes, and the long line of grain drying and storage tanks make for a lovely skyline.

I'm sure for a few extra bucks, it can be arranged for you to also have to cling to the windowsills while you sleep and eat hot gravel for breakfast, just prior to walking to a bad school ten miles away in twenty feet of snow, of course uphill both ways, with a pack of wild dogs chasing you to boot.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:17 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
*sigh* My old stomping ground * I miss that place.... it's just not affordable to live there anymore. CA prices without the CA payrolls.
Marsh - You should NEVER have left!! I bought my house for $50k. Yeah, yeah, it took another $40k to make it livable, but still......
Old 10-31-2005, 11:20 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Martha, have you been able to retrofit with hi-R insulation? I would imagine that insulation is very important where you are.

Ha
Nope. Our heating bill sucks.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:22 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
. . . of which I'm sure have voided their gas, oil and antifreeze into the ground.
Sounds like you are married to a nurse.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:28 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds like you are married to a nurse.
...With a purse!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:48 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

JG wannabe? :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:10 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Not originally, it just sort of worked out that way. She'll quit working eventually, right now she enjoys it and only does it 2-3 days a week. I actually had a standalone ER plan that was self supporting. I do say that having a source of income is a nice plus.

If I was a JG wannabe, i'd tell everyone how great I was doing with no planning, while trying hard to not mention the working wife...
Old 10-31-2005, 02:49 PM   #56

Quote:
Nope.* Our heating bill sucks.*
I see a project for Greg in the future!

uncledrz

Old 10-31-2005, 03:26 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledrz
I see a project for Greg in the future!

uncledrz

I don't! But I am working on some sort of DanTien plan for the near future.

Actually, if we decide to stay in this area there is a possibility of buying a little piece of land NEAR the city and putting up one of thos semi-fancy pre-built homes, about 900 sq.ft. with a wind mill and a 2000 sq.ft. Menards-type garage. With little birdies and bunnies and squirrels and growing veggies and flowers and a little pond, etc.--just like Walden Pond but with taxes and no regular chores.

--Greg
Old 10-31-2005, 04:08 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

And I thought you were going to post about our attempt to try to insulate the kitchen by dropping little styrofoam balls into the half inch of dead space between the bricks and the plaster.

Foot thick brick walls. Lathe attached to brick. Plaster on top. No where to insulate but the roof. Which we did insulate.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:18 PM   #59

Quote:
And I thought you were going to post about our attempt to try to insulate the kitchen by dropping little styrofoam balls into the half inch of dead space between the bricks and the plaster.

Foot thick brick walls. Lathe attached to brick. Plaster on top. No where to insulate but the roof. Which we did insulate.
And, of course, you realize you were eight feet away from me when you posted the above message. There's something wrong here.

BTW, when it's thirty degrees below zero, those little styrofoam balls dance in the walls. I can hear them--when the boiler isn't sucking up natuaral gas running.

--Greg
Old 11-25-2005, 10:27 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Agree with this approach, but the
$50 per SF is too low.*
I use it sometimes,
but even out here in the sticks I think it is inadequate.

JG
DW has started to scan the real estate ads lately
(she either caught the bug from me or is thinking of moving out)

Anyway, she found a "fishing cabin" with 2 acres and river access
"remodeled" , about 600 SF, asking price.......35K. I told her to
look up the realtor's website. She did and I know right where
it is. It's in the flood plain (could be why it's been remodeled).
Anyway, I'm going to look at it just for grins. It's a lousy neighborhood, outside the city but convenient. The other day she spotted a 2BR ranch in decent shape for 20K asking. Again the
neighborhood was iffy, but outside the city and convenient.
She called. It sold for 18K, and this was NOT a fixer-upper.
We wouldn't live in either of these, but you could hardly lose
buying and holding (or flipping) at those prices.

JG.