Join Early Retirement Today

Real estate investment without a paycheck
Old 05-08-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Real estate investment without a paycheck

One of the things I am interested in after I quit my cubicle job is to buy and sell fixer uppers. We have excellent credit. However, I wonder whether it is possible to get financing if you don't have a 'real' job. I had no problem getting the HELOC (no poking into my work status) but when I was looking into an investment property, it seemed to be extremely important that I had a regular job in order to get financing. Does anybody have experience with this - is it possible to get regular financing and also at normal rates?

Vicky
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Real estate investment without a paycheck
Old 05-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You need regular INCOME, perhaps not so much a JOB. I havent had a job in a long time, but no problems getting credit. If your score is good and you can identify income flows from investments/property, (maybe I'm wrong but) I think thats better than a job. You can get fired from a job, its a little harder to fire you from your investments. Although I've probably deserved to get the axe a couple of times

Have you done a remodel before...I dont mean spec'ed the colors but actually hired a dozen contractors, dealt with their bullshit, cost overuns, fantastic 'discoveries' every time you open up a wall to find the rot, mold or whatever?

Having just done one - and my brother in law was the primary contractor for 80% of it and took away most of the aggravation by being trustworthy - I wouldnt want to do one again.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
You need regular INCOME, perhaps not so much a JOB.* I havent had a job in a long time, but no problems getting credit.* If your score is good and you can identify income flows from investments/property, (maybe I'm wrong but) I think thats better than a job.* You can get fired from a job, its a little harder to fire you from your investments.* Although I've probably deserved to get the axe a couple of times

Have you done a remodel before...I dont mean spec'ed the colors but actually hired a dozen contractors, dealt with their bull****, cost overuns, fantastic 'discoveries' every time you open up a wall to find the rot, mold or whatever?

Having just done one - and my brother in law was the primary contractor for 80% of it and took away most of the aggravation by being trustworthy - I wouldnt want to do one again.
Hello th. I submit that some people love this stuff. I think I would if I had the energy and the skills. Most remodeling I ever did
was (by necessity) 99% farmed out. Also, I never built a house from the
ground up. Some of you will recall I tried that for the first time a little
over a year ago (in Texas). Had to abort it. Way too much hassle.
Partly just age I know. Anyway,,the rot, mold, surprises, etc............
lots of folks would love the challenge. I used to own a hunting shack
and was trying to bring it back to life after years of neglect. I figured
it was so bad, even I couldn't make it any worse After working on it for a month or 2, I asked my son to take a look and give me some advice.
He studied the place for quite a while and then turned to me and said,
"I'd burn it!" That was my last major DIY job

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:44 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We are just starting with our new house (or basically really old house). Completely gutted + large add on needed. If I like it, I may consider it for doing in the future again for profit. Will probably not too do much of the labor ourselves. We'll see how this goes....
Vicky
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
One of the things I am interested in after I quit my cubicle job is to buy and sell fixer uppers. We have excellent credit. However, I wonder whether it is possible to get financing if you don't have a 'real' job. I had no problem getting the HELOC (no poking into my work status) but when I was looking into an investment property, it seemed to be extremely important that I had a regular job in order to get financing.* Does anybody have experience with this - is it possible to get regular financing and also at normal rates?

Vicky
Hello Vicky. I have not had a job since June 1998 and my credit is golden.
Since I retired it's been raining money. But, I have several
advantages. My net worth is higher than the average bear with no debt.
I have 40 years of history which is pretty spotless. And......I am
President of my own company, which (although positively lilliputian)
still impresses some people

JG
Old 05-08-2005, 08:57 AM   #6

Oops! A correction. When I say that I have no debt, I am not including my -0- % CC borrowing. When that gets real high it does
effect your ability to get new credit. I don't think of it as "debt"
since 100% is comfortably tucked away in MM accounts or CDs,
so the effect on the balance sheet is zero.

JG
Old 05-09-2005, 07:43 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Vicky,

We are actually doing this right now. I work 20 hours a week, my husband has always freelanced, we have rental income and our credit score is about 780 but we did encounter problems with financing.

Last year we did a rehab that cost more than twice as much as we budgeted and took twice as long. We still made money because my husband did most of the work and we bought at a low price.

The way we financed the rehab was with a HELOC that we had taken the year before. This was the only thing we used it for and when we sold the house we paid it off.

This year we are in the middle of a new construction, a modular that already been onsite about 3 weeks. The financing problems had to do with the bank demanding additional documents as the process went along that hadn't been required early on. Then telling us to sign a paper that we promised to live in the house and sell our current one otherwise we would need different financing at a higher rate, etc.

Our solution was to get together with friends of ours and have them finance the construction. We paid for the lot and specced out all the costs, time frame, etc. We filled out the legal paperwork with them as the mortgagor and worked out a disbursement and interest payment schedule. We pay them 10% interest only on the loan monthly and when the property is sold they will receive the full loan amount plus 3 points.

This is a win-win situation. We don't have any hassles with a bank and they have their money making money (their investment is also a HELOC). Because we value our friendship we discussed everything upfront and obviously they know we are trustworthy but we are dealing with this in a professional matter with all appropriate legal paperwork. This is business.
artist59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:18 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Every remodel job I've ever undertaken, no matter how large or small, turned out to cost twice as much, take twice as long, and if the job was large enough, twice as many contractors after you get tired of the first ones infantile efforts to screw you.

My dad considerably remodelled just about every home he ever lived in, and his take is that the above statement has always been true.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:19 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Whoops wait...another brain synapse may be about to fire and leave me with a further opinion...

Nope...just too much sugar in my coffee....
Old 05-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I like to remodel houses!

Judy
Old 05-09-2005, 09:26 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had a job since 1978!

Judy
Old 05-09-2005, 09:28 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Only 4200 and I catch up with JG!* If I stay up all night....

Nahhhhh!

Judy
Couldn't resist, JG.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWV
Only 4200 and I catch up with JG!* If I stay up all night....

Nahhhhh!

Judy
Couldn't resist, JG.
Good one!
Old 05-10-2005, 06:54 AM   #14

You guys are pretty funny

Regulars here are aware of my temptation to buy more real estate, in spite
of (in my more lucid moments) knowing it would mess up my carefully crafted
ER life. Yesterday I am sitting in the Jeep while DW buys groceries. I am
browsing one of those free real estate mags you can pick up at most any
grocery/convenience store. Anyway, there is an 11,000 SF building
located in a nearby community for sale. The photo looks great and it
comes with one (1) existing tenant and two (2) 800 SF
apartments. Here is the good part. The price is $55,000 with owner
financing. Where was this stuff when I was seriously looking?
I called. There was a contract in place already and it looked like it would close.
Dodged another bullet

JG
Old 05-10-2005, 07:20 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

It's interesting to note how various contributors vision their ER lifestyle. Some guard it tenaciously and refuse even to spend a few hours a week managing a moderately complicated portfolio. Others are actually anxious to go into real estate including managing rentals and extensive rehab work which may involve endless hassels and hours of work that would have been considered slavery in earlier times.

If leaving my 50 hours per week cube-dweller job (which I hope to do in less than a year) meant taking on 24 x 7 responsibility for a flock of tenants, dealing with shifty contractors and spending zillions of hours learning and applying the building trades, I guess I'd just continue with the weekly 50 hours in my cube. At least most of my weekends are my own.

It reminds me of a college chum who ER'd to open his own business. Now he works twice the hours, has twice the stress and his life savings and home are on the line since he "bet the farm" on the business. I have no problem with entrepreneurship, but calling it "ER?" Not in my view.

We each walk our own walk.

youbet
Old 05-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
It's interesting to note how various contributors vision their ER lifestyle.* Some guard it tenaciously and refuse even to spend a few hours a week managing a moderately complicated portfolio.* Others are actually anxious to go into real estate including managing rentals and extensive rehab work which may involve endless hassels and hours of work that would have been considered slavery in earlier times.
Some people fish, some people surf, others invest in real estate. It's a hobby.

I'm looking for the ER wanting to do yard work for those who wish they didn't have to...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Some people fish, some people surf, others invest in real estate.* It's a hobby.

I'm looking for the ER wanting to do yard work for those who wish they didn't have to...
Nords, It's your lucky day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
This is interesting.* *I love to cut grass.* Could do it all day.* Very enjoyable passtime for me.

JG
Old 05-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #18

Can . . .
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I'd buy JG a plane ticket to Sacramento and pick him up myself if I can watch him cut my lawn while I'm sitting in a chair drinking a beer.

Really.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by - SG
Can . . .
Can I . . .
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote