Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingmossy View Post
Also there seems to be a building shortage right now that is also holding prices up.

While I know that each local market is unique are there any folks with Real Estate expertise that can share a perspective?

Thanks
Haven't noticed the price of building materials or labor going down any.

IMO, The cost of new construction generally sets the tone for $ per sq ft of all houses in any area. (special local circumstances excepted) If new houses are $110 per sq ft .... you'll probably not find any resale houses you would want for less than the mid 90's per sq ft.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

EDIT: Wrong quote was placed in this post. I was referencing OP's concern that he might buy a place for 500K, and then the market might drop 20% and he'd have "lost" 100K...

This should only bother you if you are thinking you might want or need to sell in the short term, in which case, you definitely should rent, not buy.

If you are convinced enough that you want to shell out 500K for a home, then do it. How will you feel if you wait for the market to drop and it appreciates 10%, rather than depreciates 10%?

You've won the big game, don't sweat the small battles.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
These rent vs. buy decisions only account for buying or renting the same house.

Renting is virtually ALWAYS better than renting if you maximize the renting experience. Rent what you need, where you need it, when you need it.

If you rent like a buyer, it is virtually ALWAYS better to buy. Renting for a long time, in a place you cannot minimize your commute, and renting more house than you need.

Renting a home vs. an apartment is a huge difference.
Renting is almost always more expensive than living in a paid off home...
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
if you ignore the opportunity cost of money (which many people making such statements do).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
if you ignore the opportunity cost of money (which many people making such statements do).
Do you know of any market where the rent for a home is cheaper than the taxes and insurance alone? I've yet to see that market myself. In the market where it saves money to not have to pay a mortgage or rent and still have a place to live (everywhere I've ever heard of), the renter is the one losing the opportunity cost of money compared to the person in the paid off home.

Pay off a home in 15 years at a low interest rate, then have 40 years of no rent or mortgage would, in my rough napkin calculations, provide a lot more opportunity for wealth accumulation than that same person paying rent for 55 years in pretty much every market..
Old 02-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #26

You're still ignoring the opportunity cost of not investing the equity tied up in the home.

The real return on that equity, cashed-out and invested in the stock market has been far higher than the real return for residential real estate.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you know of any market where the rent for a home is cheaper than the taxes and insurance alone? I've yet to see that market myself. In the market where it saves money to not have to pay a mortgage or rent and still have a place to live (everywhere I've ever heard of), the renter is the one losing the opportunity cost of money compared to the person in the paid off home.

Pay off a home in 15 years at a low interest rate, then have 40 years of no rent or mortgage would, in my rough napkin calculations, provide a lot more opportunity for wealth accumulation than that same person paying rent for 55 years in pretty much every market..
You proved my point... you are ignoring the opportunity cost of money by considering only taxes and insurance.

If you are renting and decided to buy and own free and clear then an amount equal to the purchase price of the property will NOT be invested and will not be earning interest, dividends and capital gains. Conversely, if you own and decide to sell and rent, then you will have the proceeds from the sale invested and be receiving interest, dividends and capital gains.

Other factors as well, but investment return (aka opportunity cost or the time value of money) is an important determinant.

Check out https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...alculator.html

Old 02-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
You're still ignoring the opportunity cost of not investing the equity tied up in the home.

The real return on that equity, cashed-out and invested in the stock market has been far higher than the real return for residential real estate.
Assumption #1 is that I have to pay for a place to live. This will either be paid for in the form of rent or PITI (hopefully followed by a long period of just TI). The "equity" that I get from the PITI and can later use to downsize to a smaller/cheaper home is why many people say that renting is "throwing away money" because renting doesn't get you that.

If I'm going to spend $1,500 on housing per month, starting with $0 invested/saved (let's assume a VA loan with 0% down), whether renting or buying (since rental prices are on par with owning prices where I live), that money isn't getting invested in either case. It has no "lost opportunity cost" due to putting it towards something that builds equity vs paying it to a landlord. 15 years from now, however, I'm still going to be paying inflation adjusted full rental price if I rent while I'll be paying a small fraction of the $1,500 to cover taxes/insurance/maintenance instead if I used that $1,500/month to pay off my own home.

You can't "cash out" the rental checks you paid (the landlord did that already), just like you generally won't "cash out" your only place to live. So, the "opportunity cost" difference isn't "what the house is worth and what that would get if I invested it". The real opportunity cost is "the difference in cost between renting and buying".

So the "opportunity cost" is the difference between rental cost or owning cost and what the cumulative effect of that difference might be. In "an average" market, similar homes for rental and owning have similar costs with rentals tending to be slightly less costly UNTIL the mortgage is paid off, then there is a massive shift to owning having a much lower cost.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #29

Being a lifelong real estate bottom feeder I can not relate to your sense of urgency regarding this purchase. It looks like you're not really all that familiar with this geographic area and renting vs buying. Just because things are "going up" is not a reason to jump in. Probably the opposite.

Take your time, investigate all the factors including the lost opportunity costs of your money. (IMHO even 3% return will shed some light).

As I told my lakehouse neighbor - "For what we spend on these places each year we could have a couple pretty nice five star vacations anywhere. Her reply was an emphatic "EXACTLY". However dollars are only a small part of the equation.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #30

Being a homeowner involves taking risk, so if we believe the basics, being a homeowner should be more rewarding (in the long run).

Are there financial instruments where you could short-sell the residential housing market in a specific geography? It might cost you more, but if these "options" expired worthless, then your house would have maintained it's value. For me, I wouldn't bother buying such "insurance" because if I felt that worried, I'd rent.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would rather worry where to buy a retirement property. Many retirees looking for nice weather states like Florida, California, Arizona etc, but for many living close to a family is preferable or needed. In regard to when to buy I would not worry too much since it is hard, if possible, to time the Market. In 2004 we purchased an investment condo and in 2007 it was up over 20%, in 2009 it dropped about 50% below the price we paid. By 2013 it went back to original price paid and currently it is again up 32 -35% over price paid. Also, depending on location, Real Estate is one of most reliable inflation protected investment. If inflation would go higher then Fed's planning you will be glad you bought it now.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Assumption #1 is that I have to pay for a place to live. This will either be paid for in the form of rent or PITI (hopefully followed by a long period of just TI). The "equity" that I get from the PITI and can later use to downsize to a smaller/cheaper home is why many people say that renting is "throwing away money" because renting doesn't get you that.

If I'm going to spend $1,500 on housing per month, starting with $0 invested/saved (let's assume a VA loan with 0% down), whether renting or buying (since rental prices are on par with owning prices where I live), that money isn't getting invested in either case. It has no "lost opportunity cost" due to putting it towards something that builds equity vs paying it to a landlord. 15 years from now, however, I'm still going to be paying inflation adjusted full rental price if I rent while I'll be paying a small fraction of the $1,500 to cover taxes/insurance/maintenance instead if I used that $1,500/month to pay off my own home.

You can't "cash out" the rental checks you paid (the landlord did that already), just like you generally won't "cash out" your only place to live. So, the "opportunity cost" difference isn't "what the house is worth and what that would get if I invested it". The real opportunity cost is "the difference in cost between renting and buying".

So the "opportunity cost" is the difference between rental cost or owning cost and what the cumulative effect of that difference might be. In "an average" market, similar homes for rental and owning have similar costs with rentals tending to be slightly less costly UNTIL the mortgage is paid off, then there is a massive shift to owning having a much lower cost.
You're sort of changing the discussion mid-stream...you first say that owning in a paid off home is always cheaper (which is not necessarily true)... and then once we point out that you are ignoring opportunity costs you change it up to make it a mortgaged home... which is it going to be? And then you make it a VA loan which very few are eligible for! More obfuscation!

IF one can find a situation where you can own for 0% down and your PITI is the same as rent for similar property of course owning is better... its the same cash outflows but building some equity with mortgage principal payments.... but alas, there are very few markets in the US where PITI and rent are the same for similar properties.... usually PITI is substantially more... if it were the same then no one who expects to remain in the same area for more than a few years would bother to rent.

That and it is hard to find those elusive 0% down loans.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #33

One thing the OP could do is go ahead and buy the house. If the value of it went down and he wasn't selling it, just live there. Or, if he didn't feel like living there any more, just turn it into a rental instead of selling low. I did that with a house once. Rather than sell into a soft market, I turned it into a rental. It was a bit of a pain, but the market got super-heated a couple of years later and I made a good profit when I finally sold it. One thing to watch out for is condo rules or homeowner's association rules that limit or prohibit non-owner occupied dwellings. Just steer clear of those and you have an 'out' if you feel like moving during a soft market.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You're sort of changing the discussion mid-stream...you first say that owning in a paid off home is always cheaper (which is not necessarily true)... and then once we point out that you are ignoring opportunity costs you change it up to make it a mortgaged home... which is it going to be? And then you make it a VA loan which very few are eligible for! More obfuscation!

IF one can find a situation where you can own for 0% down and your PITI is the same as rent for similar property of course owning is better... its the same cash outflows but building some equity with mortgage principal payments.... but alas, there are very few markets in the US where PITI and rent are the same for similar properties.... usually PITI is substantially more... if it were the same then no one who expects to remain in the same area for more than a few years would bother to rent.

That and it is hard to find those elusive 0% down loans.
Show me a realistic scenario where renting for 50 years is more cost advantageous (starting with $0, or a 20% down payment if you'd really like) for an average priced home. Don't forget to include the fact that PI doesn't go up while rent does in your calculations. Or better yet, I'll show you some..

I've done some the research:
Quote:
Median Gross Rent $959
For 2015
Residential Rent Statistics for the United States | Department of Numbers

For now, let's ignore that the average rent is significantly inferior to the average home purchase in size and, often, location.

Quote:
Median new home price Nov 2015 $312,600
Median existing home price 30, 2015 $220,000.0
https://ycharts.com/indicators/sales...existing_homes
https://ycharts.com/indicators/sales...existing_homes

Per the census bureau, there's typically ~1 new home sale per 10 existing home sales so we'll use a 10x weighting on existing homes vs new homes and get a fictional home price of ~$228k.

Nov 2015 mortgage rates https://www.totalmortgage.com/blog/m...r-6-2015/30408

Quote:
average rate on a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage to be 3.87%, up from 3.76% the week prior.
A mortgage on that fictional home, using those rates, would be $1,071/month. Plus an average home insurance + property taxes would put that around $1,300/month. This gives the renter a $341/month advantage. If putting 20% down, however, the PI goes to $857 but we'll leave TI the same at $229/month for a total of $1,086/month.

1913-2013 inflation rate
Quote:
As we saw the Average annual inflation rate is 3.22%.
Let's use historic market returns (S&P 500) for calculating how much opportunity each is given (renter while his is cheaper, buyer when his becomes cheaper). Let's use 1913-2013 for consistency and not forget to adjust for inflation and include dividend reinvestment, which gives us an average return of 6.35%.
https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/

So, in the tables below, the "negative" difference is "renter has this much more that year" and the positive difference is "owner has that much more".

YearRentPI – 0% downTI – 0% downDifference 0% downPI 20% downRenter Investment 0% down)Owner Investment 0% downDifference 20% downRenter Investment 0% down)Owner Investment 20% down
1$11,508.00$12,372.00$2,748.00-$3,612.00$10,284.00$3,612.00 -$1,524.00$41,524.00 
2$11,878.56$12,372.00$2,836.49-$3,329.93$10,284.00$7,171.29 -$1,241.93$45,402.70 
3$12,261.05$12,372.00$2,927.82-$3,038.77$10,284.00$10,665.44 -$950.77$49,236.55 
4$12,655.85$12,372.00$3,022.10-$2,738.24$10,284.00$14,080.94 -$650.24$53,013.31 
5$13,063.37$12,372.00$3,119.41-$2,428.04$10,284.00$17,403.12 -$340.04$56,719.69 
6$13,484.01$12,372.00$3,219.85-$2,107.84$10,284.00$20,616.05 -$19.84$60,341.23 
7$13,918.20$12,372.00$3,323.53-$1,777.33$10,284.00$23,702.51 $310.67$64,172.90$310.67
8$14,366.36$12,372.00$3,430.55-$1,436.19$10,284.00$26,643.80 $651.81$68,247.88$982.21
9$14,828.96$12,372.00$3,541.01-$1,084.05$10,284.00$29,419.74 $1,003.95$72,581.62$2,048.52
10$15,306.45$12,372.00$3,655.03-$720.58$10,284.00$32,008.47 $1,367.42$77,190.56$3,546.02
11$15,799.32$12,372.00$3,772.73-$345.41$10,284.00$34,386.42 $1,742.59$82,092.16$5,513.79
12$16,308.06$12,372.00$3,894.21$41.85$10,284.00$36,569.96$41.85$2,129.85$87,305.01$7,993.76
13$16,833.18$12,372.00$4,019.60$441.58$10,284.00$38,892.15$486.08$2,529.58$92,848.88$11,030.94
14$17,375.21$12,372.00$4,149.03$854.17$10,284.00$41,361.80$1,371.12$2,942.17$98,744.78$14,673.58
15$17,934.69$12,372.00$4,282.63$1,280.06$10,284.00$43,988.27$2,738.25$3,368.06$105,015.07$18,973.41
16$18,512.18$12,372.00$4,420.53$1,719.65$10,284.00$46,781.53$4,631.78$3,807.65$111,683.53$23,985.88
17$19,108.28$12,372.00$4,562.87$2,173.40$10,284.00$49,752.16$7,099.30$4,261.40$118,775.43$29,770.38
18$19,723.56$12,372.00$4,709.80$2,641.77$10,284.00$52,911.42$10,191.87$4,729.77$126,317.67$36,390.57
19$20,358.66$12,372.00$4,861.45$3,125.21$10,284.00$56,271.29$13,964.26$5,213.21$134,338.85$43,914.58
20$21,014.21$12,372.00$5,017.99$3,624.22$10,284.00$59,844.52$18,475.21$5,712.22$142,869.36$52,415.37
21$21,690.87$12,372.00$5,179.57$4,139.30$10,284.00$63,644.65$23,787.69$6,227.30$151,941.57$61,971.05
22$22,389.31$12,372.00$5,346.35$4,670.96$10,284.00$67,686.08$29,969.17$6,758.96$161,589.86$72,665.17
23$23,110.25$12,372.00$5,518.51$5,219.74$10,284.00$71,984.15$37,091.95$7,307.74$171,850.81$84,587.15
24$23,854.40$12,372.00$5,696.20$5,786.20$10,284.00$76,555.14$45,233.49$7,874.20$182,763.34$97,832.64
25$24,622.51$12,372.00$5,879.62$6,370.89$10,284.00$81,416.39$54,476.71$8,458.89$194,368.81$112,503.90
26$25,415.36$12,372.00$6,068.94$6,974.41$10,284.00$86,586.33$64,910.40$9,062.41$206,711.23$128,710.31
27$26,233.73$12,372.00$6,264.36$7,597.37$10,284.00$92,084.57$76,629.57$9,685.37$219,837.39$146,568.79
28$27,078.46$12,372.00$6,466.08$8,240.38$10,284.00$97,931.94$89,735.93$10,328.38$233,797.07$166,204.29
29$27,950.38$12,372.00$6,674.28$8,904.10$10,284.00$104,150.61$104,338.27$10,992.10$248,643.18$187,750.36
30$28,850.39$12,372.00$6,889.20$9,589.19$10,284.00$110,764.18$120,552.94$11,677.19$264,432.02$211,349.70
31$29,779.37 $7,111.03$22,668.34 $117,797.70$150,876.39$22,668.34$281,223.46$247,438.75
32$30,738.26 $7,340.00$23,398.26 $125,277.86$183,855.30$23,398.26$299,081.15$286,549.37
33$31,728.04 $7,576.35$24,151.69 $133,233.00$219,681.80$24,151.69$318,072.80$328,896.94
34$32,749.68 $7,820.31$24,929.37 $141,693.30$258,560.97$24,929.37$338,270.42$374,711.26
35$33,804.22 $8,072.12$25,732.10 $150,690.82$300,711.69$25,732.10$359,750.59$424,237.53
36$34,892.72 $8,332.05$26,560.67 $160,259.69$346,367.55$26,560.67$382,594.76$477,737.28
37$36,016.26 $8,600.34$27,415.92 $170,436.18$395,777.81$27,415.92$406,889.52$535,489.52
38$37,175.98 $8,877.27$28,298.72 $181,258.88$449,208.42$28,298.72$432,727.01$597,791.82
39$38,373.05 $9,163.12$29,209.93 $192,768.81$506,943.09$29,209.93$460,205.17$664,961.54
40$39,608.66 $9,458.17$30,150.49 $205,009.63$569,284.47$30,150.49$489,428.20$737,337.09
41$40,884.06 $9,762.72$31,121.34 $218,027.75$636,555.37$31,121.34$520,506.89$815,279.33
42$42,200.53 $10,077.08$32,123.45 $231,872.51$709,100.08$32,123.45$553,559.08$899,173.02
43$43,559.39 $10,401.56$33,157.82 $246,596.41$787,285.76$33,157.82$588,710.08$989,428.33
44$44,962.00 $10,736.49$34,225.50 $262,255.28$871,503.91$34,225.50$626,093.17$1,086,482.53
45$46,409.77 $11,082.21$35,327.57 $278,908.49$962,171.98$35,327.57$665,850.09$1,190,801.74
46$47,904.17 $11,439.06$36,465.11 $296,619.18$1,059,735.01$36,465.11$708,131.57$1,302,882.76
47$49,446.68 $11,807.39$37,639.29 $315,454.50$1,164,667.47$37,639.29$753,097.92$1,423,255.11
48$51,038.87 $12,187.59$38,851.28 $335,485.86$1,277,475.13$38,851.28$800,919.64$1,552,483.08
49$52,682.32 $12,580.03$40,102.29 $356,789.21$1,398,697.09$40,102.29$851,778.04$1,691,168.04
50$54,378.69 $12,985.11$41,393.58 $379,445.33$1,528,907.94$41,393.58$905,865.95$1,839,950.79

Note: despite having the renter have a (on average) smaller place etc thus keeping their costs down, by year 29 in the 0% down scenario, the owner is ahead including investments. It takes until year 33 in the 20% category for the owner to overtake the renter. By year 50, the owner has twice as much money in investments than the guy who's still paying rent despite putting 20% down (which is the best scenario for the renter with the 0% down scenario having the owner with almost 5x as much money). In each scenario, inflation catches up to the rental price relatively quickly and paying off the home puts a MASSIVE increase in the relative ability to sock money away for the homeowner.

I could rerun the numbers to show how vastly superior the end result is for the person with the lower rate, but higher payment, 15 year loan, but I imagine anyone here could figure that out without the need to see those numbers...
Old 02-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #35

Renting wins out financially if you move frequently enough to make buying/selling costs outweigh the other gains or if you live in an extremely unusual market where renting costs massively less than buying (or if inflation never occurs over long periods of time).
Old 02-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #36

Quote:

You're still earning a much lower real return by "building equity" in your home instead of investing it.

The trade-off is that it does subsidize your housing cost, but only after your home is paid off.

However, statistically, most won't live in the same home the 30 (or 15) years necessary to retire their mortgage - they'll change houses and start the clock on a new loan.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

No one said that it is cheaper to rent than to own for long periods of time... we just said that if you live in a paid-off home that you need to factor in the opportunity cost of having money tied up in a house rather than invested... so the difference is not just the difference between rent on the one hand and property taxes and insurance on the other... but needs to consider other elements.

In a way you conceded that opportunity cost needs to be considered since you included it in your analysis.

A home is a place to live and not an investment.. you can acquire that use in two different ways... if you plan to be there for a substantial period of time it is better to own but if your time horizon is short then it is better to rent.

I could pick nits with your numbers... no maintenance or major repairs or roof in 50 years of ownership for example... but that's not the point.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
You're still earning a much lower real return by "building equity" in your home instead of investing it.

The trade-off is that it does subsidize your housing cost, but only after your home is paid off.

However, statistically, most won't live in the same home the 30 (or 15) years necessary to retire their mortgage - they'll change houses and start the clock on a new loan.
A. Already showed the calculations for staying in a home. And I was generous enough to not even include home equity gained in the equation at all...

B. The equity doesn't "reset", it takes a hit due to buy/sell costs. In the long run, buying results in a paid off home for most owners AND that equity can be accessed in one way or another if desired (HELOC, reverse mortgage, etc) and should they decide to. It's math.

That's just financial though. It doesn't include intangibles like desired to have the flexibility to easily move quickly, hating ownership, etc.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #39

Homes in my neighborhood are still selling for less than their 2005 peak price, so for those who bought at the peak, even after holding on to their homes for 13 years they still haven't recovered their losses.

But if the home I was thinking about buying was around $300K I would probably just buy it anyway because I hate the hassle of renting. If the house were over $1M, I would probably be nervous about buying right now.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:33 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I read somewhere that "all real estate is local". Here, it is more expensive to rent vs buy compared with other locations, perhaps due to the hurricanes.

OK, that said, I bought my house two years ago and I never plan to move again, if I can help it. I love it here. It is a slightly smaller but more expensive house than before. Also the value of my new-to-me house has gone up lots in the past two years, but so what. To me it just does not matter.

I am getting tremendous satisfaction out of living in my dream house each day. Hard to describe but it's a lifetime goal; if I ever had a bucket list, owning and living in this house was the only thing in it.

Still, if I was moving to a different state where I had never lived, I would live in a rental for a year or so before buying. It helps to be thoroughly familiar with the area before buying, IMO.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
real estate